Subject is too dark. Used Nikon D3200

gpanozzo

Hello everyone. I am a newbie and I have just bought a used Nikon d3200 with only 600 actuations. It seems new, even though the camera is a pretty old camera. Though I was on a budget and I found this to be a good opportunity.

Since I had the camera body, a few days ago, I shoot in manual mode as I had a couple of vintage nikkor lenses coming from my old film Nikon. Everything was alright, even though the warning "subject is too dark" was displayed. I thought this was due to the vintage lenses.
Now I received (still used but in excellent conditions) a Nikkor lens af-s 16-85 DX VR.
So now this happens:
Unless I shoot in manual mode the pictures come out over exposed, no matter the settings.
The attached files are a picture of the settings in auto mode, where the camera is supposed to get the best settings possible, the resulting picture and the exif.
What am I doing wrong?? Is it the camera faulty?
Please see below a picture of the settings, the resulting picture and the exif of the picture.
P.S. With the settings you see on the picture, the camera automatically pops up the flash, the shutter speed slows down to 1/60 and the picture results in an overexposed picture. As you can see from the last picture, before the flash pops out the iso meter is on the darkest setting and there is no way I can change it. That was a shoot take with the lens in position 85mm.
Help please! I am thinking that the camera is faulty but before sending it back I need some expert advice!
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3355.jpg
    IMG_3355.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
  • DSC_0195.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 09.26.52.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 09.26.52.png
    778.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3356.jpg
    IMG_3356.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 19

BF Hammer

Something looks wrong with the exposure meter. My only thought is to try Aperture-priority mode and change the metering from Matrix to Spot. Then see if it still over-exposes. But it is still broken even if that works. My thoughts being that maybe some debris is covering the AE sensor.

Clovishound

Have you tried setting the ISO to a reasonable level like 200? I see that the in the overexposed example you are shooting outdoors, with what looks like bright sun. The rule of thumb for this should be 1/100 of a sec at F16 and ISO 100. This picture is 1/60 of a second at F4 and 3200 ISO. I would first put the camera in something like aperture preferred then go into the Shooting menu. Choose ISO Sensitivity settings. Turn auto ISO off and then choose something like ISO 200. Then try taking an outdoor daylight picture and see what it does. If everything works like it should, perhaps give Auto a try again. FYI, the camera won't let you change ISO settings when it is in Auto.

If it still isn't working like it should try going to the "wrench" icon menu and select reset. Then go to the Shooting menu and select reset shooting options.

Good luck.

BF Hammer

Have you tried setting the ISO to a reasonable level like 200? I see that the in the overexposed example you are shooting outdoors, with what looks like bright sun. The rule of thumb for this should be 1/100 of a sec at F16 and ISO 100. This picture is 1/60 of a second at F4 and 3200 ISO. I would first put the camera in something like aperture preferred then go into the Shooting menu. Choose ISO Sensitivity settings. Turn auto ISO off and then choose something like ISO 200. Then try taking an outdoor daylight picture and see what it does. If everything works like it should, perhaps give Auto a try again. FYI, the camera won't let you change ISO settings when it is in Auto.

If it still isn't working like it should try going to the "wrench" icon menu and select reset. Then go to the Shooting menu and select reset shooting options.

Good luck.
The camera is showing as being in auto-ISO so it is the camera going there. I say something failed in the meter. Or the sensors for metering are covered with debris.

gpanozzo

Good luck.
Hi! Thank you for your answer. Yes Inteied also with the settings you suggested and it actually takes good pictures. It keeps saying that the subject is too dark. If it’s like this though I’m bound to shoot always in manual. I mean i don’t mind shooting in manual but the idea of having a camera like this one and not being able to use all the functions sucks 😅

Clovishound

Hi! Thank you for your answer. Yes Inteied also with the settings you suggested and it actually takes good pictures. It keeps saying that the subject is too dark. If it’s like this though I’m bound to shoot always in manual. I mean i don’t mind shooting in manual but the idea of having a camera like this one and not being able to use all the functions sucks 😅
Well, if it works fine in aperture preferred, or shutter preferred, that wouldn't be too bad IMO. Have you tried any of the icon modes, like the mountain icon for landscapes? It will let you set the ISO in these modes, and that might take care of the problem. Or it might not. Worth trying.

Have you contacted the seller? If it is a company, they may have a solution for you without sending it back, or they might be willing to refund part of the purchase price.

There is another reset procedure that involves turning the camera off, removing the battery, then pressing the shutter button for something like 15 seconds, or longer. Then reinsert the battery and power up.

gpanozzo

Hello everyone!
Thank you for all your help and advices.
Unfortunately NOTHING worked, so i’ve sent the camera back to the seller.
Though I decided to get a better (in my opinion) camera. I got a D5300. Thant was the maximum my budget allowed. What do you think of this camera? 😀

BF Hammer

Hello everyone!
Thank you for all your help and advices.
Unfortunately NOTHING worked, so i’ve sent the camera back to the seller.
Though I decided to get a better (in my opinion) camera. I got a D5300. Thant was the maximum my budget allowed. What do you think of this camera? 😀
Hope it is in working order. It is a step-up from the budget/beginner D3xxx series and brings more features.

Sandpatch

I agree with @Needa and @BF Hammer -- you'll be pleased I think. I've been shooting with a D5100 for over 12 years and it's been great. Your D5300 has better resolution, an expanded ISO range, a better processor, triple the number of focus points, a better screen, a faster fps rate, GPS plus other improvements over my D5100. Hmmm, maybe it's time for me to get a new camera. :unsure: :)