Starting A Web Site

Wix charges $4.08 a month if you want to use your own domain name (Which your always should) And This Plan Displays
Wix Brand Ads. Not very professional. GoDaddy has a plan that is $1 a month and gives you more space. They have cPanel which has auto installers for Wordpress. Spend a little time and learn wordpress and you can have a very nice website.

Fred Kingston

Nothing, but nor have I looked into their premium pricing. Also when everyone has that free.wix.com site, well, its like wearing a T and slippers to a corporate interview.

The OP did say, he wanted "free"... I would imagine if he had the technical skills to get here and post a question, he'd also have enough understanding about what the word "free" means within the context of a process that costs money... :eek:

I could be wrong though... :rolleyes:

SkvLTD

The OP did say, he wanted "free"... I would imagine if he had the technical skills to get here and post a question, he'd also have enough understanding about what the word "free" means within the context of a process that costs money... :eek:

I could be wrong though... :rolleyes:

Point is not to waste time on a free, website, when it may not be needed to get some work out to the public.

STM

My website is on Wix. It is ok, I had to find another server when mine went belly up. Ones that have the MS FrontPage extensions are getting scarce so I tried Wix. It sucks if you are going to try to use it for commerce, but for a personal photography website it is not bad and it is pretty cheap. Free websites are going to be a pain and you get lots of annoying pop up advertising. Spend $5-6 a month and get a site free of ads

wud

Yes, I use shootproof for clients to see and order print, I love that site and they are SO helpful :) And then I use squarespace for my homepage (also Facebook). Also really happy with that site. I pay $10 pr month, pr site. I think that's pretty cheap.

RocketCowboy

Yes, I use shootproof for clients to see and order print, I love that site and they are SO helpful :) And then I use squarespace for my homepage (also Facebook). Also really happy with that site. I pay $10 pr month, pr site. I think that's pretty cheap.

Do you find the analytics you get from Squarespace to be helpful? It looks like they had some good data ... stuff I don't get from SmugMug and would have to work out through something like Google Analytics if I self-host with WordPress.

wud

Do you find the analytics you get from Squarespace to be helpful? It looks like they had some good data ... stuff I don't get from SmugMug and would have to work out through something like Google Analytics if I self-host with WordPress.

Yes, although a lot of search terms from Google doesn't show but not sure if it's because I don't use Google Adwords. I'm gonna trade a shoot with a girl I know, who will help me with this. But I can see how many visitors, how many pages they look at, the most popular pages, referrers and similar.

@RocketCowboy

Just a heads up that while Squarespace is a great service if you want/have to use their templates, for $10/month (or less) you can get shared hosting from someone like DreamHost and have unlimited storage, users (logins/servers), email addresses, traffic, mutliple ftp servers, htAccess (passworded http directories), sub domains, mail listserves, announce lists, etc.

The have their own web panel (better than cPanel IMHO) with one click installs for Wordpress, Mediawiki, PHPBB forums, ZenCart, multiple CMS systems, and many more. Even Piwigo.

They also have great analytics (including search terms and "unique" user visits) with excellent reporting.

So if you're planning on rolling your own this would give you far more capability. I have used them for many years, for both my own sites and numerous clients, with no issues.

Promo code below for $25 off (if your interested).

RC25OFF

RocketCowboy

Thanks Scott.

I actually run my own cPanel server for my own blogs/email/etc, but always good to keep aware of options for if/when I decided I don't want to be my own tech support. I'm pulling apache logs today as well as Google Analytics, which is what raised my question about SquareSpace and whether they were getting different/additional information because of closer integration with the platform itself. I'm an IT/networking guy during the day, with the side perk of having my technology lab also being internet accessible. :)

Thanks Scott.

I actually run my own cPanel server for my own blogs/email/etc, but always good to keep aware of options for if/when I decided I don't want to be my own tech support. I'm pulling apache logs today as well as Google Analytics, which is what raised my question about SquareSpace and whether they were getting different/additional information because of closer integration with the platform itself. I'm an IT/networking guy during the day, with the side perk of having my technology lab also being internet accessible. :)

Have you ever been to the next level up from cPanel? WHM? That is what I have and it allows me to create and manage my own cPanel websites. I learned it when I worked for a web hosting company. What I really like about it is that I can create a new website anytime I want and delete it anytime I want. I have a relative and was visiting her recently and she has twin boys that are 17 years old or so. They have their own lawn care business and are making great money. they have expressed an interest in photography and have a D5100. When I was up there last week they spent 2 hours asking me how to do different things. Anyway. I set up a 1 page business page for them for their lawn care business but not linked I put up a wordpress site hidden behind to give them youtube videos to help them along in their photography.
I is so nice to be able to have multiple sites and control them without having to rely on a support team in India to do everything for me

RocketCowboy

Have you ever been to the next level up from cPanel? WHM? That is what I have and it allows me to create and manage my own cPanel websites. I learned it when I worked for a web hosting company. What I really like about it is that I can create a new website anytime I want and delete it anytime I want. I have a relative and was visiting her recently and she has twin boys that are 17 years old or so. They have their own lawn care business and are making great money. they have expressed an interest in photography and have a D5100. When I was up there last week they spent 2 hours asking me how to do different things. Anyway. I set up a 1 page business page for them for their lawn care business but not linked I put up a wordpress site hidden behind to give them youtube videos to help them along in their photography.
I is so nice to be able to have multiple sites and control them without having to rely on a support team in India to do everything for me

WHM is on my wishlist, and really dependent on whether I add a second cPanel server and try to offer services to others. WHM adds all the billing components and automation too, but for now ... the cPanel admin site is enough for my needs.

WHM is on my wishlist, and really dependent on whether I add a second cPanel server and try to offer services to others. WHM adds all the billing components and automation too, but for now ... the cPanel admin site is enough for my needs.

Right now I have 8 accounts on my service. I just deleted 2. I have a couple of accounts/domain names that I just use to play with ideas and themes Right now I am working on matching a photography site for a friend of mine. The service he uses in very limited on what he can add and he wants to add a blog and better pages for tours etc. so I am building a wordpress site that will match so it will look seamless when they go from one site to the other. Kevin Michail Snyder | PhotographerKevin Michail Snyder | Photographer