Sigma 18-250 - Macro or not?

dervari

I'm leaning towards getting the Sigma 18-250. B&H has them for $399 right now. However, there are two versions, the older non-macro version and the newer macro version. I've read favorable reviews of the newer version, but I'm wondering if the fact that it has a 62mm filter size vs a 72mm filter on the older version has a downside? I'm relatively new to digital, do some landscape/nature photography, and routinely use a circular polarizer in conjunction with an ND and worry that the 62mm filter size could cause vignetting at the wider end of the zoom.

Any opinions or advice appreciated.

Pierro

You can hunt down thin filters and they'll be cheaper than the 72mm variety. Dont use the hood if you're shooting at the 18mm end as it will vignette, and stop down to f5.6 for sharper shots. Its soft if used wide open. In fact, you may even get a bit of vig at 18mm if you use flash, but that depends on the camera, and how far the on board flash pop upwards.

As glenn said, with most consumer grade super zooms, they suffer at the long end, so for optimum at full telephoto, use f8. Your closest focus at the tele end reduces the 250mm to more like 180/185mm, again thats a side effect of such lenses.

Its an ok lens for the money and a beginner, but personally, I wouldnt buy a new one, as you're going to want better pretty quickly and the depreciation will hit your wallet

dervari

I'm eventually going to get some primes, but the main thing I'm looking for at this point is an all around "travel" lens. I'll be going on a couple of cruises this year as well as some other travel. That is the factor behind wanting a superzoom, ease of travel (shore excursions) with a single top loader to tote around.

This currently has a $150 instant rebate and can be had for $399 new, and I have a discount code to get a 3 year accidental damage warranty from SquareTrade for around $50. Even the used ones on eBay seem to be going for at least $350 so I think I'd opt for the new w/discount since I'm planning on keeping as an everyday may-get-banged-up lens.

Pierro

Its about the best choice out of the consumer stabilised super zooms and a decent ravel lens for the price ( ignoring Nikon lenses which are a lot pricier ) It has the Tamron 18-270 VC beaten in tests. Beware of pincushioning as its noted for this. Just frame your shots accordingly