Sigma 150-600 contemporay, info thread

Blacktop

Hi,

Somebody "famous" once said: We've got him...! :victorious:
Yip
18337323658_357724df2d_b.jpg

Bought him this afternoon.
He's hard to buy overhere, some shops have waitinglists.
Some will have to wait for a month or so. :fatigue:
Now I can go playing with it and with its USB dock.
Play time...:biggrin-new:

Ad B
Very nice. Can't wait to see pics with the lens. How much did the USB dock set you back?

Felisek

I agree. I'm especially interested in focus speed. Especially while in C mode with S .

I will certainly give you more info in the next few days (or weeks). I only shot a handful of pictures with this lens so far, so this is a very preliminary opinion.

The autofocus is very fast and locks on without hesitation. I haven't experienced any hunting. It is also very quiet, probably quietest among my Sigmas (see signature).

Only once AF refused to work, when I tried using it indoors. It'd just gone dead.. I thought I had a case of frozen AF, similar to that of Tamron but then I noticed that my AF switch was set to 10m-infinity. I switched it to 2-10m and... no effect. AF still defunct. And then I realised that my "custom" switch was in C1 position, which I had already programmed to 10m-infinity. *Sigh*. I need to learn all the switches! The lens was fine, I got confused.

My only (slight) reservation at this point would be that images look slightly soft. I just cannot get the sharpness on par with, e.g., my Sigma 50-150. I'm not going to jump to any conclusions right now. It might be me, this is my first lens that long and that heavy. It might also need some fine-tuning. I wanted to do it today, but considering distances involved I'd need to do it outdoors and the weather was foul. Finally, I might be simply expecting too much of a commoners' lens.

More opinions to come soon.

Felisek

By the way, it is a head turner. Yesterday I was strolling along our local pond looking for birds to shoot and a guy walking his dog stopped and asked me about the lens. He said "you must like your photography a lot!" A moment later another guy (with another dog) stopped and commented "look at the size of this lens!" ;)

The lens was fully erec.. sorry, extended (at 600 mm) and with the hood. 16 inches of prime glass! :glee:

mikew_RIP

At 600mm i dont think it will match your shorter lenses for IQ but the you have to consider the price and what IQ you would get cropping from a much shorter lens,i would think you should be looking at great IQ up to somewhere in the mid 500s.