Selling my first photograph

AC016

Congratulations! How did the company manage to find you and your picture?

Thank you. Well, seeing that the photo is of a specific aircraft & airline (small northern Canadian airline), i am assuming that they did a google search and came across my blog ;)

AC016

Thank you all for the likes and "congrats', very supportive of you all :) So, here are some details of the transaction:
I was contacted by a marketing firm up in Iqaluit, Nunavut through my blog. Basically, they stated that they were interested in buying one of my aviation photos. I inquired some more in terms of what they were going to use it for, who was it for, how long will they use it, etc. I received prompt replies from them. Using Paypal, i was able to get paid and i sent the file over to them with a Dropbox link.

Now, i hope none of you are expecting some artsy fartsy photograph, because it is not. Though, you will all be happy to know that it was shot with my very first Nikon, a D3000 with the 55-200mm back in 2011.

Here is the photo i sold:

dsc_0762.jpg

They paid me $250 for the photo. I am comfortable with that for this transaction, but i will be looking into learning more about pricing for future (hopefully) transactions. Thanks again for the support

AC016

Not many of those old 737's kicking around now

Nope, they are a pretty rare sight around here. Nolinor and First Air are the only airlines i have seen fly them around these parts. This particular model is good for northern operations since is has the gravel kit on it.

SkvLTD

@AC016 , so what rights of use did you sell them? And did you keep your copyright? Example - you can allow them to use the photo for self-promotion, but disallow them selling it as their own; or allow both, but still retain your copyright of it if you wanted to do likewise yourself. Or sell the photo and the copyright, but at a much higher price and watch how that little snapshot grows over time.

AC016

@AC016 , so what rights of use did you sell them? And did you keep your copyright? Example - you can allow them to use the photo for self-promotion, but disallow them selling it as their own; or allow both, but still retain your copyright of it if you wanted to do likewise yourself. Or sell the photo and the copyright, but at a much higher price and watch how that little snapshot grows over time.

I did not sell full rights, their client did not need them. They will give me photo credit and i keep my copyright. Again, i am happy with the price i got for a first sale. In all honesty, the photo is not going to be viewed by a large audience. We are talking about a very small company on Baffin island and very small Inuit publications that will run the photo but a few times. This is by no means anything nationwide.

Rick M

Now, i hope none of you are expecting some artsy fartsy photograph, because it is not.
Here is the photo i sold:

View attachment 132893

That's actually a good point and probably what they wanted. It's clean and straight forward. They can place it easily, simple and identifiable is important. "Artsy" stuff can take away from the product. Nice job!!