Selective Color

MrRamonG

Took my wife and daughter out to the park my wife and I got married 5 years ago. Snapped this one while my little girl was looking out over a creek.
DSC_5132b.jpg

60mm prime
no flash
f / 4.5
ISO 200
1/80

Attachments

• DSC_5132.jpg
    DSC_5132.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 642
Last edited:

STM

Using spot color can be an effective tool for isolating a subject or a certain aspect of the image. Some people say it is over used but I honestly don't see it very often.

Hminx

The model is an absolute cutie and can't be faulted, on the other hand the selective colour thing is more of a personal appeal thing, probably more popular with non photographers I think. The things that I've noticed about this is, the pole sticking from her back, and the image seems a little flat, possibly needing a little more contrast. The blown out bokeh also tries to pull your eye away from the main subject.

Michael J.

looks much better if you ask me. The white spots are now gone and the eyes can concentrate on the motive now. Thumbs up!

MrRamonG

The model is an absolute cutie and can't be faulted, on the other hand the selective colour thing is more of a personal appeal thing, probably more popular with non photographers I think. The things that I've noticed about this is, the pole sticking from her back, and the image seems a little flat, possibly needing a little more contrast. The blown out bokeh also tries to pull your eye away from the main subject.

Selective color usually rubs me the wrong way... not always a fan of it. But I've seen lots of professional portfolios with selective color images in them so I'm not quite sure what you mean that it is more popular with non photographers.

MrRamonG

I did some quick and dirty tweaking of the image, what do you think?
Looks very nice! thanks. wasn't quite sure what to do about the bright spots. was afraid adjusting the levels would distort the rest of the image. And it looks like you addressed the flatness Hminx was talking about.