SanDisk Extreme Pro UDMA 7 160 MB/s returns 'ERR' in D4 when used with Sony XQD Card

Cowleystjames

I'll put in my D4 example, but as I only use Lexar Professional it probably doesn't help.
My D4 has a Lexar Pro 800x 64 Gb or 32Gb also a Pro 1000x 16Gb. These are used along with a Sony 32Gb XQD or Lexar 32Gb XQD. All these combinations work well together in any configuration.
I'm sorry that I don't have a Sandisk to try but my experience with Sandisk Extreme Pro cards in my D800e haven't been good. I went through three from Wex before I found one that would format. I guess it was just a bad batch, but from that experience I now only use Lexar except for the Sony which came free with my D4!

Cowleystjames

tgagle,

you say that you have Lexar Professional 1000X 64GB UDMA 7 and it works fine with sony xqd which is also 64GB. This seems to be supporting my suspicion about the requirement that both cards must be the same size especially for large sizes ! There could be some memory addressing problem when the sizes are too large.
I have also written to Nikon and waiting an answer. I'll let the group know about their response !

​Not sure about your conclusion there as I'm using a Lexar Pro 800x 64Gb alongside a Sony or Lexar XQD 32Gb or a Lexar Pro 1000x 16Gb with them

David996

Thing is that B&H are packaging the Sandisk Extreme Pro 32Gb udma7 160mb/s with new D4's. They are right to do so because it is on Nikon's recommended card list for the D4.
I am left wondering whether this fault is appearing in D4's of any age, or whether it is a batch problem. The two D4's I have so far returned had serial numbers which were only 21 apart.

Cowleystjames

I know that you have Sandisk cards, but I'd be tempted to try another make i.e Lexar, then if it works ok the problem is compatibility with the Sandisk cards you have.
Are you local to another D4 owner? if so try your cards in their D4. Go to your local Nikon dealer and try your cards in their D4's.
If you have no joy, I'm going to my Nikon professional dealer Wednesday and I'll have my D4 with me, I'll see if they have a Sandisk Extreme Pro card and try one.

Cowleystjames

Thing is that B&H are packaging the Sandisk Extreme Pro 32Gb udma7 160mb/s with new D4's. They are right to do so because it is on Nikon's recommended card list for the D4.
I am left wondering whether this fault is appearing in D4's of any age, or whether it is a batch problem. The two D4's I have so far returned had serial numbers which were only 21 apart.

In your case I would ask B&H to test the cards in the D4 before dispatch, easy peasy. If they don't work it's their problem to sort.

David996

Thanks CowleyStJames. I will be interested to hear what happens at your dealer. I do not have the cards as they were each brand new and each got returned with its respective D4. Unfortunately i do not know anyone else with a D4.
It will be interesting (if that's the right word) to see what happens when the 3rd consignment of D4 and new cards arrives.

edit - I asked them to do exactly that, when i returned the last one. Although in fairness to B&H, they have been, as usual, incredibly helpful and this whole business is as much of a hassle for them as it is for me.

Last edited:

David996

Here's an extract from the Nikon forum at fredmiranda.com - It seems that Sandisk are acknowledging the issue and admitting that Nion know about the issue. But Nikon refuse to admit it to me.

It is the 160mb/sec card. I talked to sandisk. They said that there is an issue known to them and to Nikon where the card won't work if there is a sony xqd in the other slot. Well, of course there is a sony xqd in the other slot. They said their engineers and Nikon's engineers are working on it.

David996

I have actually just got off the phone with B&H. I have asked them to test the D4 I have just returned with the Lexar udma 7 150mb/s. If that works, then I am happy for them to exchange the Sandisk for the Lexar and give me back the D4 I returned.

Waldi

Hi All!

I returned SanDisk Extreme Pro UDMA 7 160 MB/s back to B&H store and bought Lexar Professional UDMA 7 16 GB cards. They work OK with D4, NO PROBLEM!!
ADVICE: DON'T BUY SanDisk UDMA 7 cards for D4, buy Lexar above mentioned card and YOU WILL HAVE NO PROBLEM ANYMORE!

Also below is the reply from Nikon Australia:

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Just to keep you posted, The earlier email from Japan was misunderstanding in their reply. I finally got the clarification from Singapore,[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]It’s should be this:[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Japan has tested and confirmed that there is such issue occurring when using Sandisk 16GB Extreme Pro UDMA7 CF card with 160 MB/s, together with the XQD card, however it is not solely a CF card related issue. Therefore Japan is checking for a way to address to this issue in the D4.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Hopefully it can be resolve soon.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Sorry for the misunderstanding.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]I’ll keep you posted.

I believe the above will conclude this issue for ALL who are involved with Nikon D4 camera.

Cheers,

Waldi

[/FONT][/FONT]

Cowleystjames

I have actually just got off the phone with B&H. I have asked them to test the D4 I have just returned with the Lexar udma 7 150mb/s. If that works, then I am happy for them to exchange the Sandisk for the Lexar and give me back the D4 I returned.

​I think you've done the right thing there. But I'll certainly post up my result on Wednesday.

Andrew S.

I emailed Sandisk tonight as I received a D4 from B & H today and have the same issue. They said that the problem is being resolved and replacement cards should be sent out soon. I gave my info and will wait to see if they follow through.

Andrew Sturgess

Waldi

​Forget SanDisk altogether please. Buy Lexar Professional 1000x UDMA 7 card and you will have NO problem anymore. That's what I did and am not going back wards anymore.

Cheers,

Waldi

DavidG

David996-
The firmware on my D4 is: A: 1.05, B: 1.03, L: 1.009. If you go to Nikon's support site, that update was ~April 2, 2013. Based on the comments from everyone, it's sounding like the problem originates with the NEW UDMA 7 SanDisk cards... and trying to "push" them to XQD speeds (160MB/s). If I were you, I'd borrow or buy a 90MB/s Extreme Pro card... and if the camera works fine, wait for (a) a software patch from Nikon, or (b) a REPLACEMENT card from SanDisk. I didn't read ALL the responses on this thread... but it "seems" like everyone assumes that it's a Nikon problem. Perhaps it's an artifact of the 160MB/s attempt with a CF card?

Waldi

David,
SanDisk 90MB/s cards are discontinued and you cannot buy them at B&H Photo. I believe one has to move on and buy new cards as they are released on to the market. And therefore buying UDMA 7 cards is unavoidable for all of us. I returned SanDisk Extreme Pro UDMA 7 160 MB/s 16 GB cards back to B&H and bought two Lexar Professional 1000x UDMA 7 cards and ....have NO problem using them with Sony XQD card in D4 camera anymore.

Cheers,

Waldi

Waldi

Re: SanDisk Extreme Pro UMDA 7 160 MB/s returns 'ERR' in D4 when used with Sony XQD C

Don,

Yes, I use now Lexar Professional 1000x 16 GB card with Sony XQD card and D4 works fine, no problem. I returned SanDisk Extreme Pro UDMA 7 16 GB 160 MB/s cards back to B&H.

David996

Have just had a call from B&H re my suggestion that they send my 2nd returned body back to me with the Lexar 150mb/s instead of the Sandisk. Of course now the Lexar is out of stock! :)
I have asked them to send the body back to me with the XQD card and follow up with the Lexar CF when they have it.
To be honest, B&H (as always) have been fantastic in replacing return after return without question, and I feel as sorry for them now as I did for myself.
Clearly Nikon haven't been admitting the problem to B&H, despite the fact that B&H have been packaging the Sandisk card with each and every D4, and consequently I suspect they have been getting every single D4 returned to them. Only now, as a result of people comparing notes (such as on this forum), are B&H finally able to understand what the problem is.
Thank you all for helping to narrow down the problem, otherwise i would be expecting to recieve my 3rd "faulty" D4 :)

Cowleystjames

Ok, went to my local nikon dealer with my D4 and tried SanDisk Extreme pro udma 7 in 16, 32 and 64 gb along with both Sony and Lexar XQD card. Interestingly the 16gb was fine but both the 32 and 64 produced a err code with either XQD card. Took another D4 off the shelf and replicated this error. Both cameras ok with Lexar cards.