Rick's Olympus Adventures

Rick M

Well, maybe we can ask John to open up a "General Photography" website embedded in this one. A place where pictures would be the main concern, no brand bashing or defense. I think it might be a nice addition if we can manage it well.

Thats a great idea!

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I'm all for this Rick and Marcel.....hopefully John will be too. Nikonites has lost some very good photogs when they switched brands. Out of respect for Marcel and John, I won't continue to lobby for this, but hopefully they'll see a favorable way to keep some of us here. Nikonites is a great site.

Rick M

My new kit arrived a day early! Picked it up on lunch and have battery charging . Had a quick at everything and it is very impressive! Size is perfect.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
My new kit arrived a day early! Picked it up on lunch and have battery charging . Had a quick at everything and it is very impressive! Size is perfect.

We want pictures, We want pictures, We want pictures, We want pictures. ;)

Rick M

Ok, first shots. By the time I upgraded firmware and set a few custom controls (two dials, two fn buttons, and a lever to double settings in all buttons/dials!) it was getting pretty dark. These are handheld in poor light. Hope to get out this weekend in better conditions.

PA210003_tonemapped-2.jpg

PA210007.jpg

Rick M

A few first thoughts...,

The Body and 24-80 2.8 lens have a magnificent feel, metal. The lens body and ring grips are aluminum, no rubber. The inner lens barrel and lip is plastic/carbon fiber, like Nikon. I like the absence of the rubber rings as the dust attraction drove me nuts. The body is just a little tank, mag alloy. The body is probably about 25% smaller than a Nikon Dx body. The pro 24-80 2.8 is about 60% the size of the tamron 24-70 2.8. Exterior controls are great, there will be no menu surfing while shooting!

Cons so far:

The battery charger is corded, another thing to pack. The LCD must be pulled down to open the USB plug for uploading. Very minor things so far. There is some frustration in learning new controls from a different manufacturer, but it's not oly's fault.

Rick M

The body does not have a pop-up flash. It does come with a really cute mini-pop-up flash, about the size of 2 watch heads stacked. It flips up after mounted. A plus is it opens high enough to use with larger lenses.

Rick M

I did have a good talk with my local camera store last weekend about making a switch too. The thing he warned me about is the service support in Canada of Oly and Sony. He said that he thought their service was almost crappy. He said the only 2 trustable companies for service in Canada were Nikon and Canon. I don't know if this would apply in the USA, but he did warn me about that aspect of a possible switch.

http://nikonites.com/d600-d610/26335-autofocus-failed-alleged-impact-damage.html#axzz3GpEavrp4

Could it be worse?

Rick M

BTW, I didn't realize this but it has no OLPF, which is something I wanted in my next DSLR. Interestingly it has the about the same pixel density as the D7100. 16mp in a sensor 1/3rd smaller.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
BTW, I didn't realize this but it has no OLPF, which is something I wanted in my next DSLR. Interestingly it has the about the same pixel density as the D7100. 16mp in a sensor 1/3rd smaller.

What is OLPF Rick?

Rick M

What is OLPF Rick?

Optical Low Pass Filter, the Oly does NOT have one which is good. Nikon has been eliminating them on newer dense sensors to increase sharpness. The newer processors are better at controlling moire, so they are not needed.