Raw conversion software , what's best.

foo

So what happens when I purchase a d610 then , will I need to upgrade lr5 or not . Confused now.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

SteveH

Cheers SteveH , managed to buy a new disc for £40 no box but certainly cheap enough , seems capture Nx2 is far to expensive for me.

A new disc for £40? That's a bargain! It is LR5 isn't it?

foo

Yes its Adobe Lightroom 5 full retail disc brand new , just no box its for windows so thats fine for my os .

Horoscope Fish

Cheers SteveH , managed to buy a new disc for £40 no box but certainly cheap enough , seems capture Nx2 is far to expensive for me.
In my opinion you're simply better off learning to use one application that will carry you no matter what camera you're using. Lightroom is platform independent and is amazingly powerful. It's why I suggested it from the get go. You have chosen wisely.

foo

Yeah thanks Horoscope Fish , after much deliberation I just thought Lightroom seemed more intuitive to use , plus I heard issue with Nx2 crashing anyhow just about to buy a lightroom lr5 tutorial book .

foo

Says Adobe* Photoshop* Lightroom 5 blue disc on dvd . Plus money back guarantee .

foo

Lightroom 5 book plus software £54 all in , pretty pleased with that . When it comes I will remove the nikon software so there are no compatability problems . So I will be able to shoot Raw as thats best , then get some new lenses all will be fx so when upgrade I can use the same quality lenses . Tamron 70-300mm vsc coming soon , just think nikon 70 - 300 isn't £70 -£100 better.

foo

Cant copy from my tablet so will post it later , when my son gets off the computer.

nickt

No problems using both. I import with LR and on occasion open viewnx with no problems. I think most problems are because people aren't fully understanding of file storage structure (paths and directory trees for the old dos guys) and are not sure how to find their files if the need comes up to manually locate them. The usual misconception is that pictures are located 'in' a particular program and thus unavailable for other programs. You just need to know where your files are and you will be fine using multiple programs. Also if you need to move files around, only use Lightroom. Or if you insist on moving another way, learn how to get LR back in sync.
I would keep view nx on your computer, you may need it. Viewing focus points is one feature that comes to mind.

foo

Good point , will remember that , but I have nx d beta as well , I suppose this will be superfluous now I have bought Lightroom 5.

foo

Thank for the lightroom link , this software is what I was after and it looks absolutely superb , thank you all . I definitely think I made the right choice.

BackdoorArts

So what happens when I purchase a d610 then , will I need to upgrade lr5 or not . Confused now.

If you're on a lower version of LR then you will have to first convert your NEF file to DNG with the free DNG Conversion tool, which you can use without any other Adobe license (it runs about 1 release of ACR behind). Once converted you can import it into Lightroom as normal. The other option is to use an EXIF tool to change the camera type from D610 to D600 and "fool" LR. Either way it's an extra step. I prefer to use DNG files anyway, if only because it's a more transferable format across apps.

foo

Thank for all the links , purchased a Lightroom 5 tutorial book by Scott Kelby , so that should help , plus all the Video tutorials , I'm well covered.

BackdoorArts

The Kelby LR books are what I used. Really well organized. Don't short change yourself on the first chapter on importing and organizing. If you don't do it right up front it can be amazingly horrifying to straighten it all out down the road.

Don Kondra

Guess I'm the odd guy out, I do not care for the user interface of Lightroom nor it's lack of tools I use fairly regularly such as cloning.

Instead I use Elements 11, DXO Optics Pro 9, DxO Viewpoint 2, CaptureOne Pro 7 and FastStone Image Viewer for light stuff :)

Cheers, Don

foo

That's 6 different software programme s to learn , better man than me . And costly too . Sorry but I dont need all that just a humble enthusiast , that just wants to make the most out of my photos I take . I only go back home 1 - 2 times a year so when I do photos are important memories.