Question on Aperture Priority

Horoscope Fish

Do you make this stuff up or does someone give it to you? There is no motion-specific algorithm, it's as basic a decision making process as can be...

• Can I get a proper exposure at current ISO without dropping below the minimum Shutter Speed?
    • Yes - Take the picture
    • No - Have I hit Max ISO?
      • Yes - Drop shutter speed to fastest possible for Aperture and ISO and take the picture.
      • No - Raise ISO one step and go back to the beginning

Don't believe me? https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14130/~/how-does-the-auto-iso-feature-work?
I too am baffled by the problems people seem to be having with Auto ISO. I use it pretty much all the time because ISO and the potential problems that come with it (noise) is the least of my concern when compared to the problems that accompany improper shutter speed (motion blur) and aperture (poor depth of field/blurred shot); both of which very much ARE my concern. There are no hidden, mysterious algorithms at work here; it's a simple logic tree.

My Basic Settings:

Auto-ISO: Enabled.
ISO sensitivity: 200
Maximum sensitivity: 6400
Minimum shutter speed: 1/125

I use these settings on my D7100 for just about all my lenses. I use ISO 200 because it's essentially "noise" free on the D7100 and helps keep the shutter speed a little on the high side because I very strongly adhere to the concept of minimum shutter speed being *at least* 1.5 times the focal length. I find these settings work really well most all of the time and think they'd be a very good place to start if you're not sure what settings to try.

BackdoorArts

I, too, use it constantly. Generally I have...

Auto-ISO: Enabled.
ISO sensitivity: 100
Maximum sensitivity: 6400
Minimum shutter speed: Auto

Then, under the Auto shutter speed selection I choose one or two clicks to the right of center on the Slower | | | Faster scale which gives me 1 or 2 shutter speeds above focal length, so on the long end of my 70-200mm I'm at least at 1/320s or 1/400. With the D7100 and my 150-500mm I'll generally just stick it in Manual at 1/800-1/1250s and f8 and hope for the best noise-wise. At least I'm grabbing my bird the way I need to.

There's just nothing right about the way this is(n't) working for Lawrence. I've got 5 bodies and it works the same on all of them, though you can do the Auto minimum shutter speed on the D7000.

Horoscope Fish

Then, under the Auto shutter speed selection I choose one or two clicks to the right of center on the Slower | | | Faster scale which gives me 1 or 2 shutter speeds above focal length...
I might try using Auto and bumping the slider all the way right (Fastest) and see what that gives me; I've not really experimented with that option.

There's just nothing right about the way this is(n't) working for Lawrence. ...
Agreed.

adityasoman

Tried the same settings as Lawrence

Auto ISO
base-100 max-3200
Minimum shutter speed-1/125
35 f/1.8G

Works as it should..kept the shutter at 1/125 (lighting was poor) and ISO varied
When maxed out..shutter dropped
On a D5200

Recheck all the settings..else reset the settings and try again

Loosing my mind things of it

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: