Project 365: 2013 - Katie1987

§am

I like the way the forum has stacked those three photographs - it almost gives a sense of the portrait shot being in front of the landscape(s) in the background :)

Katie1987

Here are my shots for the day. I got my circular polarizer yesterday and wanted to mess around with it this afternoon after I got home. I'm still learning so I'm not sure it was under the ideal conditions...nonetheless I still had fun! I also realized when I was almost done shooting that I had my ISO setting on WAY too high for this time of day (I blame my husband for using my camera last night to take photos of his DIY project downstairs...he's building a brewery!) ...I'm a little disappointed to see some noise in the photos... *sigh* live and learn!

20130108-DSC_0184.jpg20130108-DSC_0185.jpg

Last edited:

Katie1987

Day 9 and I'm still here!

Today my younger sister and I went to my parents house and my mom gave us a little tutorital on sewing. I found a DIY project on Pinterest the other week and I've been dying to make it (it's a new camera strap for my camera!).

I got the fabric at JoAnn's fabric store and went to work - with MAJOR help from my mom.

It was a lot of fun learning something new!

This shot is of my sister working on her camera strap. I may have mentioned in a previous thread somewhere else that I sold my Nikon D3100 to my younger sister a bit ago when I upgraded to the D5100 (which I love!), I gave her the "family discount" and hoping that she keeps up her photography skills as well as me throughout the year (we're both doing 365!). She's not on the forum, but today her fingers are in the photo as she sews away. I hope we both can learn from each other this year through our photography. I would say she's much better than I am at making some great artistic compositions, I just happen to know a little bit more technique on these cameras since I've been around them a little longer. :)

20130109-DSC_0185.jpg

Katie1987

Cold and dreary day in Iowa, yet warm enough for the first rain of the year.

The good news is my husband and I leave for Hawaii tomorrow, perfect timing! Our last hurrah before the kiddo arrives in March! I put this to black & white in Lightroom, thought it added to the 'mood' of the day.

20130110-DSC_0217.jpg

Katie1987

Thanks Pat! Slightly nervous being 28 weeks pregnant, but doctor gave me the ok and said if he thought there was any risk, I wouldn't be going. Glad to get the green light! :)

Katie1987

Ok, so you may have wondered if I fell off the face of the earth or not. I just got back from our week + long vacation in Hawaii. My husband and I had a great time! I took plenty of pictures but the internet connection was piss-poor over there and we didn't want to pay $15/day for connection...sooo... I had to do many of my "daily entries" in the form of my iPhone camera. For some reason I'm having issues with the layout of each of these, so tried my best... I posted all of my daily entires via blipfoto.com (you can check out the link on my signature) but now I have the chance to finally upload them here. I will also post tons of photos from our trip using my Nikon via my blog and flickr site, probably won't get around to it today (jet-lag anyone??)

Friday January 11:

Friday January 11: Hawaii Bound

Katie1987

photo-9.JPG

Thursday, January 17: This one also got inverted for some reason in download. This is made out of coral and lava rocks. K is my first initial and M is my husband's first initial! Found these rocks on the trail by our hotel, this was basically already done when I walked by it, I just had to adjust the previous builder's initials to make ours :)

Katie1987

photo-10.JPG

Friday, January 18: sorry this one got stuck upside down as well... this is at Hualalai Four Season's resort (the golf course). There was a Senior ("Champions Tour") men's golf event there this weekend and my husband and I are huge golfers, we decided to check it out on our last full day in Hawaii. We also were fortunate enough to stay at this Four Seasons resort for our honeymoon last year, so it brought back some great memories! We golfed this course quite a bit during our honeymoon. It was fun to see the senior's tear up the course. We followed Tom Watson and Fred Couples around. Tom Watson was nice enough to give me a bottle of water during the round! I guess it's a benefit of being preggos! :)

I would have loved to take my Nikon with me on this course, but they didn't allow cameras (they did allow cell phones though.. which is how I quickly snagged this shot as we were walking).

Katie1987

photo-11.JPG

Saturday, January 19: you'll need to tilt your head to the side for this one.

This was our last day, we spent the better part of it lounging on the beach (and I did some reading on the kindle and some shooting with the Nikon).

The waves at the Mauna Kea beach were great the entire time we were here and on our last day they appeared to be the biggest. Quite a few surfers were out, it was neat to watch! Having tried surfing last year on our honeymoon I can assure you it's TOUGH! But some make it look really easy!

It was hard to leave paradise but I was also glad to come home, you'll see why in the next photo I took this afternoon soon after we got home :)

Katie1987

photo-12.JPG

Sunday, January 20: after MANY delays in our travel back...(not pleased with airlines at the moment) it was GREAT to come home to this little guy, and I think he was equally happy to have us back and home! So I call this one: "Home Sweet Home"

More photos to come on my flickr and blog of our trip. I'll be sure to post them either later this evening or tomorrow/this week. We'll see how the jet lag does! I'm running on about 6 hours of sleep for the last 48 hours ... :(

Katie1987

Barbara -- I'm not exactly sure why. I uploaded them all the same...? I didn't have the patience earlier today to try and troubleshoot it...