Post your Train shots!

nikonpup

DSC_1523.jpg

crashton

I forgot I had shot these. This W&LE stone train was waiting to enter the NS yard in Bellevue OH.

I love this paint scheme. I hope they get around to painting all of their locomotives with it. They have so many different ones on newly acquired units that some guys call them skittle locomotives.

Last edited:

crashton

Another one I forgot about. This was a drive by shooting, actually I was stuck going through a paving project & this guy rumbled by at a slow walking pace. Coming out of the CSX yard in Willard OH. Since EHH's changes this once busy yard is almost a ghost town.

Sandpatch

The W&LE has a great paint scheme indeed and a cool name too, harkening back to the original W&LE as controlled by the NKP and N&W. Those are fine shots! It appears to be a park-like setting, almost like a model railroad.

Sad about Willard and so many other once busy locations on the CSX system. :(

We are blessed to have regionals and shortlines as subject matter, giving us a break from the omnipresent Class 1 roads that dominate the landscape.

Davoxt

Contributor
Very Fast Train crossing Fortescue Railway Bridge West Australia, bloody hard to get a long exposure without star trails.
Fast Train 1.jpg
Could have done with an extra 5sec of exposure, still practicing, better luck next time

Cheers
Davoxt

Last edited:

Sandpatch

About 25+ years ago my wife and I rode a 611 fantrip up Saluda. It was said that the grade is so steep that the engine had to run up the grade to assure that its firebox was always surrounded by water, thus avoiding any risk of a boiler explosion. Not sure of the truth in that, but it makes some sense. The train went on to Asheville and then via the Old Fort line on its return.

We also rode two 1218 trips in that era, in NC and AL. As passengers we could actually feel the gentle tugging of the two "engines" under the 1218 as they'd run in and out of synchronization depending on load. It was pretty cool.

With the current legal climate, associated insurance costs and escalated ticket prices, we're glad we rode when we did.

Last edited:

crashton

I was out & about Tuesday & came across this westbound CSX merchandise train waiting on a passing eastbound CSX autorack train just west of Marion Ohio. There was a NS train stopped & blocking the diamonds along with many roads in Marion. It really was a mess, no idea what the problem was.

Last edited:

Sandpatch

No shots of the prototype today, but a quick lousy-depth-of-field snapshot of a model instead. I was sorting through my N Scale and came across this old FEC boxcar, bought when I was a kid in about 1969 I figure. As kids do, for some reason I painted two spots on the door red. :confused: This car is 3" Long.

FEC Boxcar for Nikonites.jpg

crashton

Nice bit of rolling stock Sandpatch. I'm glad that something from your childhood is still around for you to enjoy.

I left the family house once I turned 18. I had a lot of slot cars & other models stored away. When I came home maybe 10 years later I found all of my treasures were given away. Oh well I still have fond memories of those things.

Sandpatch

A generous friend sent me his N Scale to enjoy and that spurred me on to take a hard look at my "collection". I need to make some space, so am deciding what I want to keep and what I rarely run and need to sell or donate. It's been fun looking through everything and seeing how much N Scale has changed from it's beginnings some 50+ years ago.

As an example, compare this current state-of-the-art boxcar with the FEC sample!

2018-05-06 LV 8337 ESM N Scale Boxcar - for uploadr.jpg

crashton

I really enjoy seeing your models Sandpatch. Very nice friend you have there. Model railroading has always interested me, but I don't dare go there for fear I'll go down a rabbit hole. It's bad enough with this photography addiction I have. :eek:

Sandpatch

I guess it's safe to say that my interest in photography is a result of my interest in trains. I have several friends who are excellent photographers and they had a lot of influence in my technique. I'm blessed to have met them and to have spent many trackside hours with them decades ago.

Sadly, each of them has since mostly shelved their cameras because they've lost interest in modern railroading. I understand, with widecabs everywhere, generic signaling and graffiti covering everything.

Nonetheless, I still very much enjoy getting outside and seeing what I can find along the railroad.

Last edited:

Sandpatch

……. but I don't dare go there for fear I'll go down a rabbit hole. It's bad enough with this photography addiction I have. :eek:

[Scene in darkened parking lot] "Pssst, hey buddy. Yeah, you with the GTI. Wanna have some fun? I have this little N Scale set, power pack and all …." :cool: