Post your Moon Shots

wornish

Finally got a clear night.
This was taken using Nikon1 V1 + AF-S 80-400mmG ED VR set at 400mm.
The effective focal length was therefore 1080mm.

v1 moon 3 2.jpg

I am personally surprised at what the V1 is capable of.

wornish

Yours has more detail over on right hand than mine.
Your #140 is what inspired me to try harder, the detail you achieved is amazing.
​Its all about the time taken, relative position on the earth I think I am a bit further North than you + getting a clear night which is pretty rare where I am.

Last edited:

Moab Man

Thank you, it was tough shooting through the light razor thin layer of clouds on that shot. I am going to shoot again tonight. Here in the desert we usually have clear skies... unless you plan all year for a week long trip to shoot the milky way this last summer and it storms every night LOL but that is another story.

I am curious to see how much the moon will change in what is visible between first rise and moon set.

Very nice editing on #141. And yes, you are a good bit further north than myself.

Last edited:

N_Addy

Jonathan, thanks to your post I'm now the proud owner of a T-ring and T-adapter. They seem to be a good fit on my D80 but I've yet to try them out. It's cloudy with rain tonight (of course).

I'm not sure how well they will work with my Celestron C8. There's no tracking on the scope so all shots will have to be short exposures. Not sure how focusing is going to be handled either. Anxiously awaiting a clear night.

Jonathan

Jonathan, thanks to your post I'm now the proud owner of a T-ring and T-adapter. They seem to be a good fit on my D80 but I've yet to try them out. It's cloudy with rain tonight (of course).

I'm not sure how well they will work with my Celestron C8. There's no tracking on the scope so all shots will have to be short exposures. Not sure how focusing is going to be handled either. Anxiously awaiting a clear night.

I've only managed to take photos of the moon (which moves incredibly fast!). I haven't yet been able to explore even a fraction of what this kit can all do so haven't done any tracking (again, pretty much cloudy nights since I bought it, and the clear nights spent getting it all to work, aligning, upgrading firmware ....). As to focus, use the scope to do that. The camera is nothing more than a sophisticated photocopier when attached. I put it on Manual and play around with ISO (around 400 seems okay). I don't get great shots so I'll be trying other manual choices, such as Aperture. Grateful for others thoughts about using the D3100 like this.

Moab Man

Cold early morning moon shot worked out great with no moisture in the atmosphere and I captured topography I had not captured at any other time of the night as oppose to the morning.

Day292MoonMorning.jpg

wev

Contributor
Got a descent snap of the moon setting above my hotel in Palm Springs. I did much better shooting hand-held than with my tripod, for whatever reason

moon1.jpg

55-200mm, 1/200, f11, 500ISO

Moab Man

Three exposure stack to equalize rather than trying to twist the lighting of one photo between the lighting highs and lows. I think it looks better than some of my others.

Day294Moon.jpg

Lee532

Hi Bikash. From the Exif mine was Settings: 1/40 ƒ/9 ISO 200 300 mm
It was taken in manual using a tripod with the aim being to underexpose the shot so the light part of the moon isn't burnt out and not lose the detail in the darker section. PP was done in LR5.