Post your low light long exposures

J-see

I had no idea what I was doing and just put the cam on its back pointing upwards. That's about the only method I could think of in the middle of a town.

I was even surprised it had dots on it.

214-2.jpg

Next I might read something about what I am actually supposed to do.

J-see

If you point upwards with a hood on, it's pretty hard for stray light to hit the lens. ;)

The hardest part is to focus on infinity when you don't see where that infinity is. I intensely dislike there's no infinity 'stop'.

wornish

If you point upwards with a hood on, it's pretty hard for stray light to hit the lens. ;)

The hardest part is to focus on infinity when you don't see where that infinity is. I intensely dislike there's no infinity 'stop'.

There is an infinity mark on most lenses, but I agree the focus ring normally rotates past the mark. I find its best to rotate all the way and then back off a little. You can hand-hold the camera and use live view to get the stars crisp at infinity, then put it on the floor to take the shot. The ~ 2 meter won't make any difference when focus is set on infinity ;)

J-see

There is an infinity mark on most lenses, but I agree the focus ring normally rotates past the mark. I find its best to rotate all the way and then back off a little. You can hand-hold the camera and use live view to get the stars crisp at infinity, then put it on the floor to take the shot. The ~ 2 meter won't make any difference when focus is set on infinity ;)

I have the infinity solved. I just point at the church, it's far enough and there's constant light on it. I switched lenses again but I need to read up on this. I haven't even got a clue how to process this.

Last attempt for today. The dots are there but that's about it. I think I need to bring down ISO a lot more. I'm gonna push it back to 100 next time.

004-3.jpg

Scott Murray

I have the infinity solved. I just point at the church, it's far enough and there's constant light on it. I switched lenses again but I need to read up on this. I haven't even got a clue how to process this.

Last attempt for today. The dots are there but that's about it. I think I need to bring down ISO a lot more. I'm gonna push it back to 100 next time.

View attachment 125967
Also try and set your white balance to cloudy or something, it may help.

J-see

If it isn't clouded tonight I'm going to take the D3300 and 10-24mm out into the fields.

I've shot a lot inside-out last night and noticed that even while on a pod or surface, the cam picks up vibrations and many shots look as if I used a microscope to shoot bacteria.

Hardest is going to find a light-low area. If you look at this map it becomes obvious star photography isn't the best in this country.

Blue Marble Navigator - Night Lights 2012

We're the Christmas tree of Europe.

Last edited:

J-see

I decided to start walking to a reasonable unpolluted area an hour before the right shooting time and when I arrived directly learned a new lesson. If you go shoot in total darkness, bringing a flashlight wouldn't hurt. It's pretty hard to see the front of the cam using the LCD as light source and a lighter didn't work well in the wind.

After an hour of practicing getting cold the only thing in the sky was clouds.

I tried to get some other night shots while walking back home.

007-3.jpg

Scott Murray

I decided to start walking to a reasonable unpolluted area an hour before the right shooting time and when I arrived directly learned a new lesson. If you go shoot in total darkness, bringing a flashlight wouldn't hurt. It's pretty hard to see the front of the cam using the LCD as light source and a lighter didn't work well in the wind.

View attachment 126103

This is a very nice shot.

Deezey

[MENTION=31330]J-see[/MENTION] , my ball cap has built in led flashlights. Great little gizmo for hands free operation.

Lovely shots too by the way.

J-see

It's one of those things you don't think about until too late. I had packed two cams, some lenses to try, the tripod and dragged all that along on an hour long walk only to discover I couldn't set my lens at infinity because I didn't see anything. ;)

Luckily once in a while the moon was clear and I could quickly focus it on that.

centaur

View attachment 126103

Do you have some filter on this photo?

J-see

Do you have some filter on this photo?

What do you mean with filter on the photo? Outside filters like PS ones? The shot is processed in LR but I didn't use any outside filter. Only the settings, brush and LR's graduated filter to selectively adjust parts. I hardly ever use filters besides the borders of perfect effects.

This is the shot as it rolled out of the cam.

007-3.jpg

I forgot to use exposure compensation and overexpose like crazy which is why I lost most tone info in the lower part of the shot. With some brushing and loads of desaturation I could hide most of that.

Last edited:

Gobae

Back when my uncle was in the hospital with cancer, I'd head out after "visitor's hours" had ended to unwind from the stresses. Here's some of the shots I got.

DSC_0038edit.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

Gobae

Here are some others that I've taken over the years.

Building downtown Albany, NY
Albany-at-Night-5.jpg

Forge fire with red hot iron.
DSC_0106.jpg

Fireworks at the Schaghticoke Fair
fireworks.jpg

Celtic Reenactor at Samhain
Samhain-10.jpg