Post your latest purchases.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Okay Cindy ... I'm blaming you for my next purchase. :)

I've been on the fence for weeks, but seeing this pushes me over.

I'm excited waiting to get it, Charlie, and have been watching several videos the past few days. Since I have an 18-35mm and a 14mm that haven't been used nearly as much as I'd like, this will allow me to incorporate foreground interest by setting the camera on or near the ground.

Back in the late 1990's when I really began to learn about 35mm film, Bryan Peterson had some terrific images taken with a wide angle lens. He'd lie on the ground and capture flowers near ground level shooting upwards. I could set my camera on the ground but really don't want to do that. This way, I can set the platypod down on the ground. With my D750's articulating screen, I won't have to lie down while keeping my camera safe and angled upwards. :encouragement:

RocketCowboy

Back in the late 1990's when I really began to learn about 35mm film, Bryan Peterson had some terrific images taken with a wide angle lens. He'd lie on the ground and capture flowers near ground level shooting upwards. I could set my camera on the ground but really don't want to do that. This way, I can set the platypod down on the ground. With my D750's articulating screen, I won't have to lie down while keeping my camera safe and angled upwards. :encouragement:

I'm thinking the same things, but dogs instead of flowers! :)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Earlier I mentioned getting the Platypod Ultra with the Oben Ball Head. It is terrific although I need to work on my wide angle compositions. ;)

For anyone who has a Platypod, they are running a photo contest. You can check out more info here: https://platypod.com/blog/2018/7/2/platypod-summer-photo-contest-is-here

I like the Platypod Ultra and Oben Ball Head so much that I decided to also get their accessory kit and their deluxe case. I wound up calling Platypod to ask a question and spoke with the guy who designed the case. Their customer service is excellent! :encouragement:

Mark F

Nikon 16-35
Ended up purchasing new from Amazon. Adorama has them on backorder.
Most used wouldn't have arrived in time for my south american trip.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Nikon 16-35
Ended up purchasing new from Amazon. Adorama has them on backorder.
Most used wouldn't have arrived in time for my south american trip.

I thought of you as soon as I saw this lens went on sale for $100 off today. Check with Amazon and ask to get back the difference in price. Usually they will providing the difference is at least $20.

Nikon is running a lens sale on several of their lenses in case anyone is interested.

Mark F

I thought of you as soon as I saw this lens went on sale for $100 off today. Check with Amazon and ask to get back the difference in price. Usually they will providing the difference is at least $20.

Nikon is running a lens sale on several of their lenses in case anyone is interested.
Thanks for the heads up. I will check to see if they will honor that sale price. :)

*update* I talked with Amazon customer service. They used to have that policy but now they don't.
The only way I can take advantage of the price difference is to return the lens and wait for the refund... then purchase it again. Only reason I went with Amazon on this was because Adorama had backordered them and I wanted it for the trip. I'll see where I am at with this once I return. I may just return the lens to Amazon and buy from Adorama. I really don't like Amazon for anything

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks for the heads up. I will check to see if they will honor that sale price. :)

*update* I talked with Amazon customer service. They used to have that policy but now they don't.
The only way I can take advantage of the price difference is to return the lens and wait for the refund... then purchase it again. Only reason I went with Amazon on this was because Adorama had backordered them and I wanted it for the trip. I'll see where I am at with this once I return. I may just return the lens to Amazon and buy from Adorama. I really don't like Amazon for anything

I think B&H has this lens, too, although I don't know how you feel about buying from them. Sorry to hear Amazon won't honor the price difference. :( I'd suggest you call again but ask for a supervisor this time. Simply tell them you can get the lens for the sale price at Adorama or B&H. See if that makes a difference.

RocketCowboy

I needed a new camera bag, so my wife suggested this instead...

2018-07-16 09.03.22 HDR.jpg

Daz

I have been contemplating getting a drone for nearly a year now. I have always wanted one but I didn't NEED one so i couldn't justify the £769 price tag for something that I didn't know how much use I would get from it.

Well fast forward to last week and a big retailer in the UK here made a mistake with an offer they were doing so I was able to snap up the DJI Mavic Air for £461.... It was THAT good of a deal I actually brought two! After shifting the second drone I paid less than £300 for my Mavic Air.

Been playing with it for a week and I LOVE it, I have actually got lots of accessories for it like new cases, Batteries, ND Filters and I brought a tablet specifically to give me a bigger screen for flying :)

mavicair3_1800.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
How many times does God or our gut try to tell us something, but we don't listen? Late Wednesday AND early Thursday morning I was prompted to look up info on a new flash sync cord. I had no intentions of buying one yet something made me peruse the internet looking up options. And I even went as far as looking on a local store's web site to see if they had the Nikon cord in stock. No, they didn't.

Imagine my surprise when I got to church Thursday to take photos at Vacation Bible School only to find a crack in the plastic of my sync cord. Someone had plastic tape so I patched it. When I got home, the plastic was broken in a second spot (I picked off a little of the tape as well as picked off some of the plastic from the second split before taking this photo as a friend will recycle the copper).

Since a local store didn't have the Nikon in stock, I placed an online order with B&H--a new Nikon cord as well as a 3' Vello cord. The Nikon cord is the same as what I've been using. The Vello is much shorter than anything I've ever used previously. And since it is a coiled cord, that 3' translates to around 1 foot at most before the cord starts to come uncoiled. It works fine especially on my flash bracket. If I ever order another aftermarket cord, I'd probably go with a minimum of 6' long. The Vello will serve its purpose though.

The thing is I hardly ever use a flash. The plastic from the old cord must have dried out as it's been around for many years. At least now I have a backup cord so this won't happen again. ;)

IMG_0005 low res.jpg

pforsell

Not literally purchases, but I got a freebie Nikon D3200 and an AFS VR 55-300 yesterday. Just 11k clicks on the camera, both looking literally new.

The camera will go to my 9 years old daughter who is delighted especially about the HD video. Her current camera is still-only D40. The D3200 body is perfect fit for her hand, for me the size is impossibly small... imagine hanging a 300/2.8VR to the camera and trying to hold it with 2 fingers :p.

The lens otoh is a mixed bag. Satisfactory, maybe even good optics marred by terrible autofocus and wobbly plastic build. If someone's interested in the lens test I shot earlier today, it is here: 55-300vr test @ nikonites.

I won't keep the 55-300 and don't have the heart to give it to my daughter either. She has all but confiscated my 70-200/2.8VR anyway, so I'll let her keep that one since I don't like zooms.

Here's a picture of her holding my (well, now her) 70-200/2.8VR very confidently, shooting ducks. I shot this image with her 18-105VR on a FX body.

20180510-_P3F4943b.jpg

Nero

Picked up a used Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro lens for $260 (basically $200 US dollars.) Based on all the reviews, I think I got this for an amazing price and it should be a good upgrade from my Nikon 40mm macro.
97849345a94fb56118b92f222591ef8d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

wev

Contributor
Picked up a used Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro lens for $260 (basically $200 US dollars.) Based on all the reviews, I think I got this for an amazing price and it should be a good upgrade from my Nikon 40mm macro.
97849345a94fb56118b92f222591ef8d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Excellent lens, though I've never seen one with lens hood

Fortkentdad

lowepro topload 55 -0002-DSC_0286.jpg

added another bag to my collection - this one the top loader "55" from Lowepro. Holds my D500 with a 24-70 with room to spare. Have not tried the 70-200 yet as we are on vacation and didn't bring it. I brought a big backpack and my Ape for the 200-500 (shown beside for comparison). Found I needed a smaller bag for daytrips when I just wanted a lens or two. It will hold my 24-70, a 35mm (in it's small padded case) and a flash. Has a couple of handy pockets and a rain coat. And it is a pretty blue.

Liking it so far and at $50 CDN it didn't break the bank.

pforsell

Bought my twelfth nifty-fifty, a mint Nikkor-K 50mm f/1.4 that has been factory AI-converted. This is a multi-coated version that shares the Nikkor S.C. optics. Very lovely.

I have no duplicates, all of these 50-55-58 mm lenses have a different character and different rendering.

50-14-k1.jpg

Along with it came an AI-S 28mm f/2, although I am not a big fan of AI-S glass because I prefer the usually much better constructed AI, or even earlier versions. Too much plastic and glue in AI-S lenses, instead of high-precision machined metal and screws that are present in AI.

This is only my second 28mm, a nice small pocketable lens for travel when the AF 28/1.4D is too big.

28-2.jpg