Post your Hummingbird Photos

wev

Contributor
If you aren't here to feed us, go away!

HummerBabies.jpg

wev

Contributor
You found a nest??? At what height was this nest and in what kind of plant/shrub/tree??

I have now logged 8 nests in the department. This one is at about 5' in a big potted brugmansia in the shade house. I have another 20' up in the air precariously perched on a distictus vine, one about 2' off the ground on the end of a branch in a navel orange, three 10' up in a bottle brush (a favorite hang-out for the rufous), one right at eye level in a blue cedar, and one on a light fixture on the side of the building. They seem to pick spots quite randomly and without much safety consideration.

Don Kondra

Shot with Olympus equipment a couple of years ago, looking forward to shooting them with Nikon gear this year !

The most recent reported sighting puts them at LaSalle, Manitoba which is still ~800 k/500 miles from Saskatoon, won't be long now :)

Hummertwo25June2011.jpg

Cheers, Don

Migration sightings map here > Journey North Spring 2014

Rhealite

Ok, this isn't a great shot since it was raining and pretty dark. But you can see the number we get here. I have four feeders and fill them twice a days.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 57

snaphappy

Only the brave tough little Rufous comes up here
the 2 girls at the favourite feeder
NIK_0032.jpg

NIK_0053.jpg
it was -6C the night before I noticed the first hummer up at my tree and hurried to get the feeders out for them because there was NO flowers out yet. Amazing creatures

Last edited:

snaphappy

Rufous boys -they seem more wary and territorial so I catch them watching me from other places than just the feeder. I have one single tulip up so far so no chance to catch them at flowers :)
NIK_0080.jpg

NIK_0175.jpg

Last edited: