Portrait opinion ?

Browncoat

Thanks you guys, I guess my problem is I really hate over exposed pics. So I really back off on the lighting…lol. I guess I prefer darker moody shades. So most of my work is a bit under exposed? I am getting a softbox in a few days and a proper back drop stand. Right now its all kind of Mickey mouse set up. But I am trying to get it right…lol

Yes, I would say most of your work is a bit underexposed. The new gear you have coming in will help, because it's hard to control harsh lighting, especially in a studio setting. Kudos for plugging away at it though, Curt. Experimenting is the only way we grow. Keep in mind that it is much easier to work with an overexposed image in post than an underexposed one. Details are lost forever in those shadows.

You gotta start somewhere. My first studio lighting was just shop lights I got from Lowe's. Most of us regular folks can't afford to drop a few grand on all the gear you need for a really kick ass portrait setup.

But more than anything else, keep working at it. I'm glad to see you're experimenting and not afraid to post up the results. I see so many new 'togs playing the "natural light" card because they're too afraid to take this seriously enough to really make a go of it.

Curt

More exposure with soft filter.
_DSC0249.JPG

AxeMan - Rick S.

Curt, I'm not one to critique photo's, from what I've seen the lighting is better on this one, but the halo around the hat and the right side of the body is noticeable and has to go, maybe it's the soft filter, try one with the same lighting but no filter. Looks like you gaining on it stick with it. Once the cold and snow set in this year I'll be doing the same thing.

Browncoat

W-007.jpg

Here's one I did today of a friend's daughter. Aside from the softbox glare in her glasses, I'm mostly happy with it.

What I really wanted to show you here is the backdrop. It appears completely black even though there are two powerful lights that are less than 10ft away pointed directly at it. This is a result of proper depth and lighting.

What works for me and what works for you will be different, so I won't go into details. Ultimately, it's about trying a variety of things until you get a feel for what your lights are going to give you at any setting. Then you can sort of make calculations in your head about:

• How far away your camera should be from your subject
  • How far away lights should be from your subject
  • How far away the backdrop should be from all of the above
  • And finally, what power setting your lights should be at
Keep plugging away, man. It's a learning process for all of us!

Last edited:

Curt

Thanx Anthony, I will keep pugging away at it until I feel I have what I am looking for...lol.
I just got a softbox and a backdrop stand so more toys to play with and learn with.