Polarizer Filter Choice

zutty

Here is a simple photo with no proc. and the polarizer...

D610#2 W.Prm2Pol_019.jpg

Vixen

That is the one thing I wished I had known or had been given that advice a long time ago is to buy the largest and filter and step down. Saves you a lot of money in the long run.

Maybe saves money but changing a CPL from lens to lens would just drive me mad. I'd rather just have one on each of the lenses I deem it necessary to have them on :D

Vixen

I just used my new Hoya HD CPL filter that Paul recommended on this thread. I did see a nice difference on my 24-70 2.8 on a nice clear day, but I was a little surprised that I didn't see much variation when I rotated the filter. Is this normal? I'll post some results soon.

You'll find early morning with low sun, midday and late afternoon low sun get the best effects from a CPL. It is still worth using at other times tho and of course is great to use on water and even on dull days you'll get some effect.

zutty

I got a 77mm one to use on my 24-70 and 70-200...At over $100 a pop, I'll have to go the step down ring route and deal with the inconvenience.

J-see

I use them when doing landscape since it makes a much better shot color-wise but I don't really use them for anything else. I took some shots of the dogs with the CP and the shots looked unnatural to me.

I'll try them in macro when the season starts but for birding the light loss is a too high price to pay. Maybe during summer but during the bad half of the year I need that 1-1.5 stops of light. Not to mention it also affects my AF.

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

What determines whether you'll use a CP or not? Just wondering if those that have them shoot everything with them on?
If I *don't* have a CPL on my lens it's because I'm shooting wide angle, indoors or I'm shooting at night. Shooting in So Cal I don't have to worry much about the transmission loss, in fact it's usually a bit of a fringe benefit for me. I do tend to have mine set to 50% or less, however. I don't like too much polarization; just enough to take the edge off is typically fine in my opinion.