Playin with flash

87mstng

So, i bought a SB-700 and started playin around. Not pro by any means but thought i'd share.

Here is the silly pop-up flash

850a4d46-60df-4dfc-ba43-2b943c8a18a1.jpg

and here is a pic with the new "bounce flash" both are shot in raw and at the same settings, i did adjust white balance in the second pic as it looked too red.

_DSC0015.jpg

Lemme know what you think, I think i'm on the right track here. I hope.

So on the second one you did bounce? Off the ceiling? Did you use the diffuser?

It looks 100% better than the first one. I recently bought the SB-700 to go with my D5100 and really have not had a chance to play with it much yet.

87mstng

Yes, bounced off the ceiling (90 degrees) and NO diffuser.

shot in RAW
manual control: ISO 640, 105mm, ev:0, F5.6, 1/160
flash was 1/3 from full power on manual setting as well.

It was also shot in an unfinished basement with pretty low light

Yes, bounced off the ceiling (90 degrees) and NO diffuser.

shot in RAW
manual control: ISO 640, 105mm, ev:0, F5.6, 1/160
flash was 1/3 from full power on manual setting as well.

It was also shot in an unfinished basement with pretty low light

You might want to try that flash on full auto. The iTTL system is pretty good. Also there was a dome diffuser in with the SB-700 when you got it. Try it while bouncing to really soften the light. Will look like you had great light with no flash.

87mstng

Thx Don, will try try like you said and see what it looks like.

Advice from others like you will only make our photos better.

Thank you.

fotojack

Nice job, 87. Yeah, the second shot is 100% better! Big difference, eh! :) I love the SB-700. It's totally Idiot Proof! :)

And...you might want to try what Don said about full iTTL and the dome diffuser. You'll see a notable difference. But just play with it, all different bounce possibilities.....off the wall, the ceiling, off a deflector off to the side, etc etc etc. The possibilities are endless. Have fun. :)