Planning to buy Speedlight for my Nikon D3100

eummagic

It's all a matter of preference. Flash is designed to do one thing: provide light. That's it. There are flashes that provide a bunch of doodads and features, and those that don't. Personally, I don't need all that. Your choices are not limited a Nikon brand flash.
Thats interesting, will need to research a lot before diving...Thanks for your inputs.
Anthony is correct, you don't have to use only a Nikon flash. There are other flash brands that will work just fine with your D3100. However if you do use another brand that will mount on the camera flash shoe make sure it is Nikon compatible. Some flash brands use a high voltage to trigger the flash. Nikon uses a low voltage as a trigger. That difference is enough to burn out the flash circuitry in the camera. There is a device that will mount between the flash unit and the body that will correct the voltage so that the two can be used together safely. You can use any flash wireless as long as the two are wireless compatible or made so with an external trigger.
Thanks for your valuable information on flash...How do I make sure that non-nikon brand flash uses the correct voltage to trigger flash. Do they mention in their spec sheet or how true for me to believe those specs?

eummagic

Hello all,

Iam on the verge of buying speedlight, so kindly help me decide between Nikon Speedlight SB-600 and LumenPro LP160. Both of these fits my budget so require your expertise about the usage, feature comparisons between the two that would suit my D3100.

I understand Nikon should suit D3100 but am I missing any features which I am not aware now but on later stage when I gain some learning experience I feel that I should have gone with LumenPro comparing price vs features etc.

Pls advise...

Last edited:

Joseph Bautsch

In most cases the flash specifications will tell you if the flash is compatible with Nikon cameras. If the SB600 is within your budget then that is the one I would buy. The SB600 has features that the LumenPro LP160 does not. The SB 600 can be used as a remote unit in the Nikon Creative Lighting System. As you gain experience with flash, CLS, remote wireless, is a feature you will want to have and the SB600 will be a good start.

PavementPilot

In most cases the flash specifications will tell you if the flash is compatible with Nikon cameras. If the SB600 is within your budget then that is the one I would buy. The SB600 has features that the LumenPro LP160 does not. The SB 600 can be used as a remote unit in the Nikon Creative Lighting System. As you gain experience with flash, CLS, remote wireless, is a feature you will want to have and the SB600 will be a good start.

+1 I cant add anymore to what was said.

eummagic

+1 I cant add anymore to what was said.
Thank you all for your suggestions....I will then go for SB-600...

ned2021

I have a D3100 and it is NOT cls compatible . It means that it won't trigger a flash remotely
unless you have a gizmo like
Commlite ComTrig T320 with the specific Nikon cable:
Commlite Comtrig T320 Auto Sensing Flash Trigger FOR Canon Nikon 1C Remote Cable | eBay

or this SEAGULL SYK-3 Flash Remote Controller :
Seagull SYK 3 Flash Remote Controller Sensor Hot Shoe for Canon Nikon Flashgun | eBay

I own both and they work fine on my D3100 for wireless triggers.
As for the flash, it will say on the box if it's Nikon or Cannon compatible. I have a Metz 44
AF-1 that ViewNX 2 detects as a SB-90

Last edited:

WayneF

I just noticed in this article about the internal flash of D3100 acting as a trigger for speedlight SB600, 800, 900 units. SB-700 is not mentioned in the article so any member who have seen/experienced can pls advise. Also, what is the difference in performance between SB600 & SB-700. If SB-600 can do the job I would prefer as SB700 is expensive.

Link: Nikon D3100 Announced
(under "Commander Mode" heading)

I believe your article is simply uninformed (wrong). Seems a sin to leave incorrect information online.

The D3100 user manual is at

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/an.../nikon-product-manuals-available-for-download

It does not mention the D3100, D3200, D5100, D5200, having any Commander. D3100 page 173 (about Commander), foot note 2: says flashes are "controlled remotely using optional SB-900, SB-800, or SU-800 wireless speedlight commander".

That would include the SB-700 today. You have to add the commander, minimum of $250. But this is same as any Nikon CLS system - All the CLS cameras support using a Commander, but only the top end models include a Commander in their internal flash".

The PDF manuals are searchable... search for word Commander.

Frankly, it would be be big news if Nikon actually were putting the Commander into the low end models.

One downside, the camera models without Commander also do not have FV Lock, but which is needed to prevent pictures of blinking people. My own opinion, if this feature is of interest, the commander cost would be better spent toward a D7100 or other model that has the Commander.
About FV Lock

SB-600 cannot be a commander, SB-700 can, however it is a little more limited than the others. However, a commander MUST be connected to the hot shoe, probably not where you really want a flash.

SB-700 has SU-4 mode (optical slave for wireless Manual flash mode), SB-600 does not. Optical slaves work well indoors, triggered by the flash of any Manual mode flash. But again, Manual flash mode, NOT TTL.

Both can be a wireless remote, if you have a commander.

There are other ways to use a flash than the commander.

On the hoshoe, like bounce.

With optical slaves or radio triggers for remote flashes, but which is Manual flash mode.

Last edited:

fotojack

To my knowledge, the SB-600 is no longer manufactured. The SB-700 is the one to get for your camera, and far, far easier to use than the outdated SB-600.

Last edited: