Photoshop Tips and Tricks

Horoscope Fish

16-Bit Mode in PS by Default? Yes! Sort of Anyway...

Do you prefer to work with RAW files in Photoshop in 16-Bit Mode (versus 8-Bit that Photoshop opens them in by default)? Do you find it annoying you *can't* configure Photoshop to open your RAW files in 16-Bit Mode by default? I know I did... Why on earth would I want to work with my precious 14-Bit RAW file in 8-Bit Mode like some common JPG? Yes, I know I can manually open my RAW file in 16-Bit Mode in Photoshop by going to: Image / Mode / 16-bit for every shot, but today I found a pretty nifty, semi-work around; it's not perfect but it's a lot better than nothing. It does assume you start your workflow using Adobe Camera RAW, but that's what I do so I found the following very helpful.

Open your RAW file in ACR and, at the very bottom of the screen, dead center, find the blue hyperlink. Click on this link to open the "Workflow Options" menu. From this menu there is the option to control bit-depth. Use the drop-down menu to select 16-Bits/Channel and click OK. From this point on, RAW files will open in ACR in 16-Bit Mode and then in Photoshop when you open you them from ACR.

HA!!

*happy dance*

Stoshowicz

I'm pretty sure my own copy of the software has an option which I clicked at the bottom of the camera raw , a choice which will apply to all the photos as they get shifted into photoshop proper , re: the bit depth. but I dont know if thats all versions. But frankly I dont see any improvement whatsoever with the higher bit depths unless I save jpegs repeatedly , and then start to see banding, so I save as TIFFs with the minimal compression.

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

I'm pretty sure my own copy of the software has an option which I clicked at the bottom of the camera raw , a choice which will apply to all the photos as they get shifted into photoshop proper , re: the bit depth. but I dont know if thats all versions. But frankly I dont see any improvement whatsoever with the higher bit depths unless I save jpegs repeatedly , and then start to see banding, so I save as TIFFs with the minimal compression.
If you want to do your edits in 8-Bit Mode, more power to you, I don't; and my post was aimed at those who also prefer to edit in 16-Bit Mode.

I like to have the biggest RAW files coming out of my camera and the most info to work with all the way through the editing process. I need all the help I can get. I went directly to my computer and checked this setting when I read it this morning. Mine was already set to 16bit so I guess it was there by default. Either way I appreciate the tips.

If you want to do your edits in 8-Bit Mode, more power to you, I don't; and my post was aimed at those who also prefer to edit in 16-Bit Mode.

J-see

Can you guys directly edit the RAW in PS?

I'm asking because I'm adjusting to LR at the moment but when I go to PS with my RAW from there, it first converts it to a 16bit Tiff. I've got a version of PS Noah took on his boat which is why I'm curious if the newer versions directly import the RAW.

Horoscope Fish

Can you guys directly edit the RAW in PS?

I'm asking because I'm adjusting to LR at the moment but when I go to PS with my RAW from there, it first converts it to a 16bit Tiff. I've got a version of PS Noah took on his boat which is why I'm curious if the newer versions directly import the RAW.
You can if you want to. In fact that's what I used to do before I got really comfortable using Adobe Camera RAW which, now that I really know how to use, I wouldn't want to give up for both love AND money. My workflow takes me from Adobe Bridge (where I review, purge, tag, etc.) to Adobe Camera RAW (where I do my basic, routine edits) to Photoshop (where I apply any final touches).

J-see

Is Camera Raw similar to Lightroom?

I'm starting to like Lightroom and currently do most processing in it but I miss layers and opacity which is why I each time end up in PS again.

Horoscope Fish

Is Camera Raw similar to Lightroom?

I'm starting to like Lightroom and currently do most processing in it but I miss layers and opacity which is why I each time end up in PS again.
I'm not a LR user, so it's hard for me to compare them directly. I don't know that I could live for long without Layers or the Opacity slider... That being said, though, I don't really think ACR was meant to be as... complete an editing tool, I guess, as Lightroom is. LR seems to be more digital file collection oriented, while ACR and Photoshop I think are designed to work hand in hand and seem more individual digital file oriented. For me, ACR significantly reduces the time I spend in Photoshop because ACR handles the "grunt work" while PS is the big gun I use for creative effect.

I hope that helps...

J-see

It helps, I'll check ACR to see if it is handier than LR.

Lightroom is like PS Lite&Limited. I'm getting used to it and it is very handy for basic editing with all its spiffy sliders and such. At some levels it automates a lot I have to do manually in my Ancient PS version but very often it automates too much to my liking. PS gives you a level of control that is phenomenal compared to LR but then again, LR is a fraction of PS for a fraction of the price.

Maybe they have hidden something resembling layers in LR but I didn't find them yet. I prefer to copy my originals to a different layer, process them and then lower the opacity slightly to blend the reworked with the original. It makes changes smoother. LR doesn't seem to fancy that approach but the limitations are probably intentional. They got to sell PS too.

Stoshowicz

Thats cool ,Horoscope fish I was just adding a workaround , I like the ACR editing mode too , but my photoshop wont do the healing tool in 16 bit , so if theres a twig or piece of trash I couldn't correct that away as easy in 16 bit. Maybe your printer is better and you can see a difference in the higher bit mode. I looked and looked ,and just cant see any difference.

Krs_2007

I like to have the biggest RAW files coming out of my camera and the most info to work with all the way through the editing process. I need all the help I can get. I went directly to my computer and checked this setting when I read it this morning. Mine was already set to 16bit so I guess it was there by default. Either way I appreciate the tips.

Mine was set to 8, switch it but it also had some resize options set. Never even noticed the link because I usually choose edit photoshop from LR.

Thanks for tip [MENTION=13090]Horoscope Fish[/MENTION]

Thats cool ,Horoscope fish I was just adding a workaround , I like the ACR editing mode too , but my photoshop wont do the healing tool in 16 bit , so if theres a twig or piece of trash I couldn't correct that away as easy in 16 bit. Maybe your printer is better and you can see a difference in the higher bit mode. I looked and looked ,and just cant see any difference.

I can use the healing tool in 16bit.

Welshy74

I have downloaded the trial Elements 13. I have now tried to tidy up some photos but when I go to upload images it only goes through the my pictures on my pc where my images are on in the Nikon Transfer section of View NX2. Any ideas what I need to do?

Spottydumplings

Re: 16-Bit Mode in PS by Default? Yes! Sort of Anyway...

Do you prefer to work with RAW files in Photoshop in 16-Bit Mode (versus 8-Bit that Photoshop opens them in by default)? Do you find it annoying you *can't* configure Photoshop to open your RAW files in 16-Bit Mode by default? I know I did... Why on earth would I want to work with my precious 14-Bit RAW file in 8-Bit Mode like some common JPG?

Hi Paul,
Photoshop newbie question for you... I have recently installed Photoshop Elements 14 and have processed 300+ images taken on a holiday and only noticed the 8/16-bits per channel setting right at the end :hopelessness:. My question is: how does this this setting relate to 14-bit RAW and (more to the point) would I notice any [significant] difference if I were to go through the whole process again importing in 16-bit mode?

Thanks in advance.
Stephen

Horoscope Fish

Re: 16-Bit Mode in PS by Default? Yes! Sort of Anyway...

My question is: how does this this setting relate to 14-bit RAW and (more to the point) would I notice any [significant] difference if I were to go through the whole process again importing in 16-bit mode?
If you're happy with how your processing turned out, I can't really suggest going back and re-processing everything in 16-bit mode. Maybe if you had a shot or two you just didn't feel like you could correct fully the first time (in 8-bit mode) for some reason, or if you have a couple shots in particular you feel are real "Wall Hangers", and you want to really work up those shots their absolute fullest potential, then... Maybe. But in all honesty I'd suggest you setup Camera RAW/Elements to import your RAW files using a 16-bit wrapper by default, not worry about those shots, and simply get on with life. 16-bit processing gives you more latitude when processing but if you got by in 8-bit mode and you're happy with the result, why make work for yourself?