Photomatix Pro - temporarily good price

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
When Amazon is out of stock on an item, sometimes they offer the item for a lower price until it comes back in stock. Although Amazon is out of Photomatix Pro 4 at the moment (regularly $99), it is available for $77.52 and will ship when in stock.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Well that price didn't last for long! Now it's simply listed as being available from 'other' sellers (one advertising an open box item). Glad I got my order in yesterday!

BackdoorArts

I know Photomatix Pro has its fans, but with Nik HDR Efex Pro 2 available with the entire Nik Suite at 50% more I find it hard to justify that price for Photomatix alone.

Browncoat

Google owns Nik. They could give it away for free. :cool:

Back when I was shopping for HDR software, Efex Pro was little more than a filter and not true HDR. Wasn't even really worth a look. It's a lot more powerful and useful now than what it was. I still use Photomatix and have gotten used to its quirkiness. With all of the other available tools I have, the Nik suite just seems unnecessary.

BackdoorArts

I hear you, Browncoat. After Lightroom and PSE the Nik tools were the first I'd seen that seemed somewhat intuitive. I was at the PhotoPlus show last October and they were demoing the newly revised suite, back before Google bought them, and the control point stuff knocked me out. I think if I'd invested time and money in other tools I might have never even stopped to look at them, but I'm awfully glad I did.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I know Photomatix Pro has its fans, but with Nik HDR Efex Pro 2 available with the entire Nik Suite at 50% more I find it hard to justify that price for Photomatix alone.

Well here's the thing--when I checked to see if Nik Efex Pro would work with Photoshop Elements 10, what I found indicated it wouldn't work. Is Efex Pro a stand-alone type of program? I don't know enough about it.

Browncoat

Need the following for it to work:

Windows:

• Windows Vista®, Windows 7, Windows 8
  • Adobe Photoshop CS4 through CS6
  • Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 through 11 (apart from HDR Efex Pro 2, which is not compatible with Photoshop Elements)
  • Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 through 5

The other Nik products will work with Elements 10, but HDR won't. And no, Nik isn't standalone...they're plugins.

WhiteLight

I like both photomatix and Nik HDR efex.. :)
Can't really say which is better cos each have produced some second results AND some horrible ones.
Each has it's own sweet spot I guess where it performs best

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

BackdoorArts

Well here's the thing--when I checked to see if Nik Efex Pro would work with Photoshop Elements 10, what I found indicated it wouldn't work. Is Efex Pro a stand-alone type of program? I don't know enough about it.

Do you have Lightroom or just Elements? You can invoke it from Lightroom. Unfortunately the Nik stuff won't work alone and relies on having either Lightroom, PS or PSE (in the case of the other tools) to run on. I suspect it has something to do with what Elements cannot do with multiple images and layers. I just tried to see if I could invoke it somehow from both Elements 11 and the Organizer and no dice. Didn't know that.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Do you have Lightroom or just Elements? You can invoke it from Lightroom. Unfortunately the Nik stuff won't work alone and relies on having either Lightroom, PS or PSE (in the case of the other tools) to run on. I suspect it has something to do with what Elements cannot do with multiple images and layers. I just tried to see if I could invoke it somehow from both Elements 11 and the Organizer and no dice. Didn't know that.

I have both Lightroom 4 and PSE 10--looking to buy PSE 12 when the price comes down. The full version of Photoshop just isn't in my budget at this time. I do make use of both my programs so I will stick with Photomatix for now; HOWEVER, even after I get Photomatix, I'm sure I will continue to drool over your images created with Nik's software. ;)

BackdoorArts

All of the Nik filters can be invoked directly from Lightroom 4. They are first converted to PSD or TIFF files (your choice, PSD tend to be smaller in size) with all LR adjustments applied, and then they are saved back to your LR catalog, combined as one in the case of HDR Efex Pro 2. No need for full blown Photoshop.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Amazon finally cancelled my order as they won't be getting in any additional copies. That said, the new version Photomatix Pro 5 was released last week in case anyone who has version 4 wants to upgrade.