Oil Spots on D7100

lukep198

Ok Sure, I got one of them more for getting dust of the front of the lens and rear also. But I've always been tentative about using it for the sensor, but I guess I've got nothing to loose!!! Just be careful I guess!!! :/

SteveH

Hold the camera with the lens mount facing down, lock the mirror up and blow inside using the blower, just be careful not to prod around inside with the nozzle, and you can't go wrong!

mikew_RIP

Dont know if it helps but i have both of mine set to sensor clean on start up and switch off,had the 7000 for about 9 months and not had any dust problems

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Luke, @BackdoorHippie posted this video for me last year when I needed to do my first wet cleaning. The beginning part of the video shows how to use a blower first (which should always be done prior to a wet cleaning anyway). It's very thorough.

SteveH

On the other thread I said get a book as I know its something I need to do myself... I much prefer a book (Or printed manual) to flicking back and forth between Lightroom and my browser.... However, for good tutorials, I find this VERY helpful!

JohnFrench

welcome to the forum....and I haven't heard of any oil spots until now on the D7100....but there is an entire thread on the D600 module detailing all the problems that camera has regarding oil spots on sensors. Good luck to you, and continue to clean the sensor yourself. I never heard off anybody's warranty voided because of that. Just be careful when you do it....as I'm sure you have been...and use the fluid specifically made for cleaning sensors.
I have two oil spots on mine, not noticeable unless a cloudless photo is taken. I am living with it for the moment, just got the 7100 not that long ago, and just saw the spots within the last two weeks or so. But they may have been there since new, just never noticed them. Like I said, they only show with cloudless sky type photos, so if they do not get any worse, I will live with them. BTW, I use a 18-300 nikon, that is pretty much been on the 7100 since new, so I can say that the "seal" has not been broken all that often, and when it is, I use the protocol the OP mentioned. Inside the house, closed room, no air flow.

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

I have two oil spots on mine, not noticeable unless a cloudless photo is taken. I am living with it for the moment, just got the 7100 not that long ago, and just saw the spots within the last two weeks or so. But they may have been there since new, just never noticed them. Like I said, they only show with cloudless sky type photos, so if they do not get any worse, I will live with them. BTW, I use a 18-300 nikon, that is pretty much been on the 7100 since new, so I can say that the "seal" has not been broken all that often, and when it is, I use the protocol the OP mentioned. Inside the house, closed room, no air flow.

Are you sure its oil and not just dust

mikew_RIP

They look like oil spots to me, I could be wrong but it would be a first. LOL. They are about 3/16th across, paler on the outer edge. Geez, now you got me thinking; out of focus dust you think?

That would be my first thought,this d600 thing has some misdiagnosing :D , i have one on my new D7100 noticed it today but the auto clean may knock it off

BackdoorArts

Oil is a very, very rare thing to find inside. There are plenty of different types of dust that can find its way into your camera. Heck, yesterday, after thoroughly cleaning my D800, I brought to a local church where the pastor agreed to allow me to photograph the inside of their grand piano. Little did I realize the filth that had built up inside, and with only a single lens change done 30 feet away from the piano I had attempted to clean I somehow sucked in the long fiber visible in the upper right corner of this image. Thankfully a blower removed it rather quickly this morning.

D80_9709.jpg

That doesn't mean that your spots do not have some moisture-based component to them. But "oil" has to come from inside the camera, and that's going to be either all over the place, or not there at all.

JohnFrench

That would be my first thought,this d600 thing has some misdiagnosing :D , i have one on my new D7100 noticed it today but the auto clean may knock it off

I sincerely appreciate the information. I currently do not have auto clean turned on but will, and see what happens. After that, a blower probably will be on my list of "I Need That" items. Thanks again, I actually was going to turn on the auto clean last weekend, but the weather has been so crappy up here, I only got to go out Saturday for a few shots, and completely forgot about it. For example the last two days it has been howling winds, before that sideways rain. Only in the low 50's to boot.

Last edited:

adox66

And with those long exposures and LiveView (which no one seems to ever equate with why their sensors get dirty - but it's a HUGE culprit).

Hi Jake,

could you elaborate a little on the above for the uneducated like me, if you don't mind? I use the above techniques for a large proportion of my shots and never considered them leaving me more vulnerable to dust on the sensor. Is it a heat thing attracting more dust?

i suppose I'm being a bit of a lazy ass and could google but I'd like to hear your take on it if you don't mind. :)

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Oil is a very, very rare thing to find inside. There are plenty of different types of dust that can find its way into your camera. Heck, yesterday, after thoroughly cleaning my D800, I brought to a local church where the pastor agreed to allow me to photograph the inside of their grand piano. Little did I realize the filth that had built up inside, and with only a single lens change done 30 feet away from the piano I had attempted to clean I somehow sucked in the long fiber visible in the upper right corner of this image. Thankfully a blower removed it rather quickly this morning.

View attachment 85434

That doesn't mean that your spots do not have some moisture-based component to them. But "oil" has to come from inside the camera, and that's going to be either all over the place, or not there at all.

Pianos are well known to be dust catchers. And one thing I found out is that dusty strings will rust faster than clean strings. Yes, the dust on the strings will keep moisture on the strings and will make them rust faster. Nice Yamaha by the way, but strings are getting old. :)

BackdoorArts

Pianos are well known to be dust catchers. And one thing I found out is that dusty strings will rust faster than clean strings. Yes, the dust on the strings will keep moisture on the strings and will make them rust faster. Nice Yamaha by the way, but strings are getting old. :)

You'd be horrified to know what this went through. For the better part of 25 years it's sat in a huge church sanctuary that will cool down to the mid 40's (F) during the winter, and sit in 85 degrees most of the summer. Worse, it would get wet frequently due to a leaky roof. Thankfully the current pastor has a better handle on managing it, but they still haven't justified the cost of a blanket for the winter. Not likely to get strings any time soon. I can only imagine what the restringing on one of those things costs!!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
You'd be horrified to know what this went through. For the better part of 25 years it's sat in a huge church sanctuary that will cool down to the mid 40's (F) during the winter, and sit in 85 degrees most of the summer. Worse, it would get wet frequently due to a leaky roof. Thankfully the current pastor has a better handle on managing it, but they still haven't justified the cost of a blanket for the winter. Not likely to get strings any time soon. I can only imagine what the restringing on one of those things costs!!

Not so expensive, maybe around 2500.00 with labour... But I remember a customer who had a piano left in an unheated cottage every winter for about 30 years. The strings were rusty, but the thing just would not go out of tune. The pitch was always right at 440 when I came every 5 years... Go figure.

BackdoorArts

But it is a lot of work. It's not just merchandise...

Oh, I know!! I know people who hate to change guitar strings and will pay someone $20 plus the cost of strings to do that. Guitar strings can be had for $4-15 a pack depending on the type and where you buy them. I know bass strings run $20 for 4. I've seen what's in a piano and I'm by no means saying it's a rip-off. I just never thought about how much work it is and how much more the strings would cost.