Not able to get the Shutter Actuations/Count for my Nikon D5300

WayneF

Finally, sort of. I did get the Exif Tool Wayne mentioned to work for me, however Irfanview didn't. Irfanview is not working like @aroy gets it to work. I still cannot open a NEF file from within Irfanview. It doesn't show in the File>Open menu, however if I right click on a NEF file >Open with> Irfanview it will open. The Exif data does not show the shutter count or Venders Notes. See screen shot attached. Not a big deal. I think the D5300 file format just doesn't want to share with Irfanview. Ha!

I did not understand "doesn't show in File Open".

I'm just guessing that maybe your Open box is set to show icons, and maybe you don't have the Nikon codex installed in Windows to show NEF files as icons. That is free from Nikon Imaging | Global Site | NEF Codec Download, and when installed, then NEF files should show icons in the windows file boxes. Just guessing, but it could be reasonable? :)

But otherwise (still guessing about the situation), you can change the file open dialog to show Details (file names), and the file names should show, and you can click them.

irfanview.jpg

The shutter count is the last item at the bottom of the Exif data in Irfanview, and is called Total Pictures there.

But... ExifTool and ExifToolGUI is by far the best solution to show Exif in newer cameras.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Wayne, Thanks for guessing, but................... Windows Explorer displays them, Irfanview doesn't. :confused:

See attached screen shots.

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

:confused: :confused: :confused:

WayneF

I see. Try putting the Irfanview selection to ALL FILES instead of Graphic Files. I don't see them your way either.

But with the Nikon NEF codex, here is what I see in Irfanview (and Explorer)

irfanview2.jpg

Last edited:

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Wayne, That did it. "All Files"
I guess Irfanview doesn't recognize NEF files as Common Graphics Files. Hmmm! I noticed that NEF is not listed in the drop down menu for "Files of type". Something new to learn every day. Ha!

WayneF

NEF is summarily mentioned at Irfanview menu Options - Properties/Settings - Plug ins.

My own notions are (I am mostly making this up):

That first item "Try to load image preview" means to open the embedded JPG in NEF files, and use it.
If that choice is off, it does something much slower and much worse quality, maybe it actually reads the raw data? I doubted that it could. Certainly the JPG is better.

But it is no raw editor, it just uses that embedded JPG in the regular old way. No lossless editing.

Jonas Grumby

Just FYI, (from what I've seen on another thread) the D5300 counts each HDR image as 3 actuations. Switching to Live View adds 1 actuation whether you take a picture/video or not. Taking a picture with Live View adds 2 more actuations. One for taking the photo and one more for returning to Live View. So, one photo with Live View can also add 3 actuations. Also, raising the shutter to clean the sensor is one actuation. So, don't be surprised if your image file numbers don't match the number of actuations.

Jonas Grumby

p.s. Since nobody seems to have mentioned it here, you can also check your number of actuations with Photo Shop. Open a NEF raw file or DNG file and on the menu click File > File Info, then click the Advanced tab, and open the Schema folder. You'll get something that looks like this. I highlighted the shutter actuation count...

d2x-shutter-activations.jpg