nook6's Project 365 - 2014

nook6

Hi

Well my photo today (at the moment) is this one although i don't like the lighting on this photo, But the sun was out and i couldn't really get it in a better light.

photo for 10/01/2014

Dave

RockyNH_RIP

Hi

Well my photo today (at the moment) is this one although i don't like the lighting on this photo, But the sun was out and i couldn't really get it in a better light.

photo for 10/01/2014

Dave

Dave, did you do any post processing on it?? I think you can improve some if you want.. Every day is learning my friend..

Pat in NH

nook6

Dave, did you do any post processing on it?? I think you can improve some if you want.. Every day is learning my friend..

Pat in NH

Hi Pat

Yes i did do a little post processing on it just Photoshop and the Photoshop raw plugin, I will play with it in other programs but i dont really know a lot about them to know what im doing if that makes sense.

Dave

RockyNH_RIP

Dave,

I use Lightroom and Elements (Elements is a poor mans PS) :)

I think It could easily be improved some in lightroom... exposure, contrast and some shadow detail.. (Note: Not knocking your photo at all..)

I am at work now, would be happy to take a look (mind you, I am relatively new and no expert) and see if I could maybe improve it some... The file you uploaded is very small...

If you want to send a larger version to my email (pmcghie AT gmail DOT com) I could give it a quick once over when I get home and post it back ... Or upload a larger version here... for all...

Have a great day... and remember ... learning involves both good and bad shots, do not want to tell you how many I throw away! :)

Pat in NH

nook6

Dave,

I use Lightroom and Elements (Elements is a poor mans PS) :)

I think It could easily be improved some in lightroom... exposure, contrast and some shadow detail.. (Note: Not knocking your photo at all..)

I am at work now, would be happy to take a look (mind you, I am relatively new and no expert) and see if I could maybe improve it some... The file you uploaded is very small...

If you want to send a larger version to my email (pmcghie AT gmail DOT com) I could give it a quick once over when I get home and post it back ... Or upload a larger version here... for all...

Have a great day... and remember ... learning involves both good and bad shots, do not want to tell you how many I throw away! :)

Pat in NH

I will email you the raw file you can have a play if you don't mind i have got Lightroom and do use it a little but im still learning it lol.

Dave

Flugelbinder

Hi

photo for 10/01/2014

Dave

I don't know the settings you used, but you could've stoped down a bit... A slower shutter speed would work to get better colors and still keep the f-stop where you intended...

RockyNH_RIP

Dave, I got the file... what lens and what settings?? (iso, fstop, shutter) I received and looked at the file..
Its 9:11 am here now.. I get home about 4:00 so will have an attempt in 8 to 9 hours from now..

Happy Shooting today...

Pat in NH

nook6

Hi Pat

I was using nikon dx 18-55mm lens and i just noticed i have the macro lens still screwed to it.

fstop: f/25
Exposure: 1/80
ISO: 800
Aperture priority mode
Focal Length: 55mm
no flash lol

Dave

nook6

Normally I would take quite a few shots with different settings so I can see the differences and how they come out, But I couldn't on this shot because I was standing in a main road so I had to grab my shots and go.

Dave

Flugelbinder

Hi Pat

I was using nikon dx 18-55mm lens and i just noticed i have the macro lens still screwed to it.

Aperture priority mode
no flash lol

Dave

This is why I don't like preset modes... Or Auto ISO (800 on a bright sunny day???) Why on earth do they do this... Is this only Nikon or do they all do this?

Last edited:

nook6

Hi

Just some late pics it was time to feed my snake.

snake.jpg

snake1.jpg

snake2.jpg

Thanks

Dave

RockyNH_RIP

Normally I would take quite a few shots with different settings so I can see the differences and how they come out, But I couldn't on this shot because I was standing in a main road so I had to grab my shots and go.

Dave

Your settings
Aperture priority mode

Hi Dave... Here we are...

Original on top.... My quickie on bottom, LR only, maybe 4 minutes..

DSC_0843 (2).jpg

DSC_0843 (2)-pat.jpg

In LR
1 Autoexposure
2 Added a little sharpening and a lot of noise reduction (Focus & noise were both bad.. Focus likely because of the macro filter reducing DOF and 800 was high
for this bright daylight
3. Reduced Luminance of Blue & aqua (-29 & 30) ... got the sky
4 Reduced lluminance orange & yellow (-11 & -47)
5 added some clarity and very slight vibrance & saturation
6. graduated filter to lighten up the tracks
7 adjustment brush to lighten exposure for shadows on side of and under car
8 added a bit of clarity...

Dave, quick & dirty but also easy using lightroom.. 4 maybe 5 minutes tops...

Hope this helps.. assuming you like the improvements!! ! :) All of it could have been done better if someone took their time.

Pat in NH

Last edited:

nook6

Your settings
Aperture priority mode

Hi Dave... Here we are...

In LR
1 Autoexposure
2 Added a little sharpening and a lot of noise reduction (Focus & noise were both bad.. Focus likely because of the macro filter reducing DOF and 800 was high
for this bright daylight
3. Reduced Luminance of Blue & aqua (-29 & 30) ... got the sky
4 Reduced lluminance orange & yellow (-11 & -47)
5 added some clarity and very slight vibrance & saturation
6. graduated filter to lighten up the tracks
7 adjustment brush to lighten exposure for shadows on side of and under car
8 added a bit of clarity...

Dave, quick & dirty but also easy using lightroom.. 4 maybe 5 minutes tops...

Hope this helps.. assuming you like the improvements!! ! :) All of it could have been done better if someone took their time.

Pat in NH

Thanks pat,
yes thats much better i really need to learn lightroom more lol,
I will keep your instructions handy just to give me some ideas to look at in lightroom thanks

Dave

RockyNH_RIP

Thanks pat,
yes thats much better i really need to learn lightroom more lol,
I will keep your instructions handy just to give me some ideas to look at in lightroom thanks

Dave

Dave, its just practice... I run all my photo's through Lightroom... some need more than others :) I discard those that should be but early on I practiced on them too.. If they need more, I can edit in Elements right from LR or PS (but mine is OLD, CS2)

Everyone develops there own work flow and mine may not work for you... over time you will know what flow works for you! The file was a jpeg and usually you can do more in raw. I think the macro filter and ISO 800 hurt it a lot also.. Watch those things, less work is then needed!! :) Easy for me to say, I cannot tell you how many times I shot at work at 3200 or even 6400 then at lunch went out and forgot to change!! :)

Plenty of vids for free on lightroom too!

Pat in NH