Nikonites overloaded with moderators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyNH_RIP

I got banned for telling someone the truth when they asked for critique. This site is a joke. Do you mods not realise that correct critique actually helps people improve (even if it is harsh).

Another one that is unhappy... If this site is such a "joke" why do you stay here?? If it does not suit you, then maybe you should move on to one that suits you better.

I wish you the best in your search of that forum...

Pat in NH

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I don't think this thread is going anywhere. We are beating a dead horse here. Pistnbroke's impression that there are too many moderators in this forum, my question is so what? The owner feels that he wanted more help to make sure that other people who asks for advice receives accurate and sound advice based on their familiarity of a specific camera, flash, lens, tripods and even softwares. It is the site owner's call, not yours.

There are many people who register to this forum, ask or post one question and never returned.
There are some who likes the atmosphere and they find it ok and share their passion, images and opinions.
The point that I am trying to make is that no one is forcing anyone to stay and continue to post in this forum. However, if you do not like the forum style, the moderators or other members, you can always opt not to participate. Believe me, no one will stop you or anyone if you decide to not participate.

Puzz1e- I understand you feel bitter about what occurred. Let's just move on and try to word things a little subtle next time. Is that something that you can do next time?

Have a great day!

Last edited:

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Over time, however, I've seen more and more threads aimed at attacking one topic or another. Threads like that will eventually drive a good number of us away.

Point heard and taken. Please accept my apology if I offended.

BackdoorArts

Criticism can be just harsh, or it can be harsh and also beneficial. If I get the former anywhere other than from a source I know and/or trust as an expert, then it better be backed up by something other than dozens of similar posts. If someone's watermark is ugly, telling them that and walking away is useless, and if it's habitual then I'm not surprised you've been banned (which makes me wonder how you're here now?). Telling someone their watermark is "ugly" benefits nothing but your ego. Telling someone "Your watermark really doesn't work, and here's why. First off, it's a little garish, which distracts from what you're trying to present with the photo. Maybe something simpler with more eye appeal..." makes the same point. The Critique thread is meant for constructive criticism, with the intention of helping the photographer grow in the craft - not to allow someone with an opinion to just take a dump on someone's effort and walk away. Want to do that? Start a contest and be your most critical. Start a blog of randomly selected "Worst photos on the internet" and say your piece. This isn't art college, it's an enthusiast site.

Also, this isn't a commercial forum, and to my knowledge these folks don't get paid for their efforts. They give their time in an effort to keep things civil. Just like us, they come here to share, not just to police. It's a thankless job - after 12 years of moderating at guitar sites I know. Why so many locked threads? Perhaps because of the number of drive-bys. There's being provocative, and there's provoking. Maybe it's the same thing in the King's English, but not here. There's a world of difference between being politically correct for the sake of simply not offending anyone and just simply respectful of other people. You can be the latter and still be critical. You can be the latter and have a provocative conversation. You can be the latter and not have to resort to base insults and name calling. It requires a certain amount of maturity, and maybe that's what's lacking? It's the playground mentality where you promote yourself simply by putting down others. I'm not a moderator, nor do I care to be one, but I appreciate a group of people who know how to recognize the difference between a critic and a bully, and who are willing to shut someone down for the greater good. Don't like it? Find another playground, or start your own. See how many people you can draw in and keep. It's not as easy as it looks - the world is full of ugly.

§am

Puzz1e - correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you get banned and infracted for the manner in which you spoke to other members and your use of language to describe this forum?

Let's take a step back here (everyone) and remember, criticism is welcome on the forums, but what is NOT accepted is the belittling way in which it is delivered by various members.
Harsh words can be delivered in many forms, but let's not make them derogatory words.

Thank you :)

AC016

I've been here for over a year, i think, and i must say that i have learnt alot. I have also come across many different types of people, which is enjoyable as well. Is there to many moderators? Maybe yes, maybe no. One golden rule to live by is to never type anything that you would not say face to face with someone. Simple. I am a member on two aviation sites - one i do not frequent anymore because every topic became an opportunity to bash Obama; therefore, i left - and neither one has a heavy moderator presence. Now, the site i no longer go to, could have used a couple of mods. Obviously, moderators are here to intervene when only necessary. Does the title "moderator" go to their head to the point that they feel they should give their 2 cents on every thread? Maybe it does. The point is, they are contributing and some of these folks are retired, so they don't have anything better to do, lol :) In the end, it's but a title on a website and they are only human like you and I. You can talk to them, debate with them, disagree with them... Just remember the Golden rule. It's to easy for us to type what we are thinking. This gets alot of people in trouble on the interweb. Just remember that there is another human being on the other end of your message, post, thread, etc. reading it. Secondly, keep in mind that people can misunderstand what you are trying to get across or with what emotion or intention you are using. If anyone around here gets their boxers in a bind about anything that someone says, they really need to re-think what is important in life. It's good to react, but don't let it consume you. It's a waste of time and energy.

stvn

I am relatively new to this forum but I enjoy it very much and keep coming back when I need advice.
I am also a member of other forums for other hobbies and when all are compared this is certainly amongst the best :)
It's free and has lots of experienced members.
...my pennies worth :encouragement:

Carroll

I like this forum.

Photos from all over the world are most interesting to me. I will never be able to visit those places that I enjoy the views of here. People from all walks of life, taking photos of what they consider to be interesting, is what brings me to this site, and the comments they and others make about how that image was captured, and what with, etc., etc., is just the best here. Sharing the passion of capturing an image, or re-making it in PP is the icing on the cake.

The moderators on this forum have an extremely difficult job, and are just as, or more interested in, sharing their vision of art and assisting others to appreciate the art of photography than anyone!

I appreciate the tone of this Forum, which is the creation of the owner. Thank you. All moderators share the same goal of maintaining a community of Nikon enthusiasts that promote learning how to do it better. Thanks to the Mods for their selfless work.

When kids play together in a sandbox, for instance, there is always a few that think their toys are better, or they can dig better than you, or for some reason don't like your Mother, even though they haven't met her! In other words, there are some kids who just will never get along with the others. That is just the way it is. There will be no understanding of them, because one cannot reason as they do, as hard as you try.

This doesn't mean those kids are worthless. They have talents, passions, and valuable insights about their experiences that can enrich the other kids. What is "Key" is to just enjoy the sandbox and do your best to get along with the other kids. Kids for the most part get along with others pretty good. When they are not good, the teacher steps in, so that they will go back to getting along.

What is key in the sandbox is what is going on here.

Enjoying and learning about all aspects of Photography is why we are here. I think it is great!

Last edited:

fotojack

And so many locked posts its unheard of on other forums.....its also a cultural problem ...austalians and UK tell it like it is not covered in butterflys

If you don't like this place so much, why do you keep coming in here? Your spelling sucks, you have a poor attitude, you like creating drama where there was none before, you're constantly patting yourself on the back about your supposed expertise on everything photography related, you try to impress anyone within earshot how great you are. You contribute nothing to the forums except vitriol, you moan and whine constantly, you don't submit any photos for us to admire or comment on. Admit it.....you just like stirring up sh*t. don't you! You think it's fun to see how many buttons you can push to get a reaction! The more buttons you push, the more reactions you get, the better it makes you feel. In short...you're a joke.

Last edited:

ohkphoto

Snow White
Now thats the way it should be run.

Read more: http://nikonites.com/feedback-suggestions/12174-nikonites-overloaded-moderators.html#ixzz2OZ4Z8SSD

Please feel free to start your own forum and "show the world" how it should be done.

.its also a cultural problem ...austalians and UK tell it like it is not covered in butterflys

Read more: http://nikonites.com/feedback-suggestions/12174-nikonites-overloaded-moderators.html#ixzz2OZ53N4JQ

Nothing cultural about it unless you're claiming that UK/Aus are born and bred to be rude. There are many members from many different countries here who "tell it like it is" without being offensive.

BTW "butterflys" should be spelled "butterflies."
And "austalians" should be spelled "Australians."

Last edited by a moderator:

ohkphoto

Snow White
I just want to express a BIG THANK YOU to the members above who took the time to post the kind comments and who understand what this forum is about, and that this forum is indeed a community of photography and nikon lovers who are here to help, enjoy and share, and maybe along the way, become friends.

We appreciate you more than you know and certainly don't tell you often enough.

stmv

About the one thing I have noticed is that the moderators are a bit more engaged,, so my vote is for even more moderators :)

participation is what makes a successful site.

Puzz1e

Banned
What I find funny is that, given the standards set, fotojack and ohk should both receive infraction notices for their rudeness in addressing the OP

Horoscope Fish

In my opinion, joining a forum is like going to someone's home for dinner. Never would it occur to me to show up at someone's home to receive benefit of their hospitality, only to then turn around and dictate to my host(s) how they should be providing that hospitality. I can only assume this simple concept eludes some posters.

In my opinion, joining a forum is like going to someone's home for dinner. Never would it occur to me to show up at someone's home to receive benefit of their hospitality, only to then turn around and dictate to my host(s) how they should be providing that hospitality. I can only assume this simple concept eludes some posters.

I like that analogy. Like me, I came to dinner and liked it so much I offered to stay and help with the dishes. I am sorry some people did not like to have clean plates to eat off of the next meal.

ohkphoto

Snow White
their rudeness in addressing the OP

1. suggestion was made to start his own forum . . . if you don't like something, do it yourself. . . most reasonable and mature people do this when they're not happy with somethingI don't believe anybody is forcing him or anyone else to be here.
2. addressed cultural bias on the part of OP
3. corrected spelling mistakes.

I'm sorry if you found any of this rude.

RockyNH_RIP

I just want to express a BIG THANK YOU to the members above who took the time to post the kind comments and who understand what this forum is about, and that this forum is indeed a community of photography and nikon lovers who are here to help, enjoy and share, and maybe along the way, become friends.

We appreciate you more than you know and certainly don't tell you often enough.

Helene, thank you and all of the moderators who put in the time to make this place what it is... and to me, it is like a home! I have learned more here (photographically) in a short time than I could have anywhere else.

Keep up the good work.

Pat in NH

WhiteLight

After 4 pages I think most of us realize that this 'debate' can and will never end...
It's like me saying a tomato is a fruit and someone else saying tomato is a vegetable... I don't really care what it really is.
The mods and everyone else replying to this just takes this elasticity longer and nothing constrictive will be reached... Neither a solution..
It's the nature of the beast.. We need a system to bring order to chaos.. That's how the world we live in works...
There are people here from all walks of life, from all across the world and without have a level of moderation any forum or just a regular gathering of people.
Time to move...

Status
Not open for further replies.