Nikon don't like FX Wide-angle users ???

480sparky

....... No one really wants to carry around that much extra weight for not much gain in picture quality..........

Actually, shooting an FX lens on a DX body will, all else being equal, result in a better image than a DX lens of the same focal length.

99.99% of lenses suffer loss of IQ in the corners..... softness and vignetting are the two biggies. Shooting a DX body with an FX lens automatically crops out the soft, vignetted corners.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The original post is about 3 years old. I hope you were not trying to answer the original poster...

Brian

20mm used to be considered "ultra-wide", and dropping below that took a lot glass to clear the mirror. Prime lenses are easier than zooms, and as stated above: the 20mm/2.8 D-series Nikkor is a very good lens for a reasonable cost. ALSO- with wide-angle lenses, AF is not as critical due to the large DOF. A manual focus lens is a good alternative for an FX camera. Need to use my 20/3.5 Nikkor-UD on the DF. It worked well on the D1.

bigal1000

If you can't afford FX lenses,then you will have to use and buy what you can afford. Why blame Nikon because you don't have the money to buy what you want ? There are other options.

Geoffc

I know I'm just venting but... But I'm not rich, having just bought a D700 (got a great deal) and now I'm looking for an extreme wide angle zoom (not fisheye) to go with it. Since i shoot a lot of landscapes.

Of course i cannot afford the 14-24mm f/2.8 IF ED $1750, so what does that leave me with? a BIG FAT NOTHING!!!

DX users have the:

Nikon 10-24mm AF-S f/3.5-4.5 G ED (DX)
Nikon 12-24mm AF-S f/4 (DX)
Tokina 11-16mm IF (DX)
Tokina 12-24 F/4 AF AT-X PRO (DX) II
Nikon 18-200mm VR and VRII (DX)

Are you starting to see a pattern here? Plus most of them are at a very reasonable price = less than 1000$

SO what I've learned by buying a full-frame body...
Nikon thinks we're all press photographers not paying for lenses and we're limited in lenses unless we go old school and we chase discontinued ones on eBay?!?!

I'm all for quality but DX looks pretty much appealing right now. Or that I should have bought a Canon 5D for half the D700's price, along with a 10-22mm zoom that blows everything else out of the water, including Nikon's 14-24mm (sorry Nikon) [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1]
[/SIZE]
[/FONT]
My question is what's out there that will match full-frame quality, until i sell my first born and buy the 14-24mm?

And no i don't consider 28mm extreme wide angle...

Thanks for all tips and criticism lol

The 16-35 F4 is equivalent to 11mm on DX. The 14-24 is in a different place. Part of the thinking (a large part) is the increased cost of lenses. Maybe you should have got a D7100 DX instead as it would have given very good results even at moderately high ISO.

It feels like you bought a classic used car at a great price but now find it guzzles fuel and has expensive parts. Perhaps it was not the right choice when considering the whole package. When I went FX I budgeted about £4000 to do the switch, and I already had the 70-200 2.8.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I just picked up a manual focus Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Super Wide Angle Lens w/ Automatic Chip for US$275. I've only had my D800 for a couple days but my first impressions are positive.

Here are a few reviews that I read that influenced my decision:

1. SLR Gear: "The Rokinon 14mm ƒ/2.8 IF ED UMC is a surprising hidden gem of a lens. Producing very sharp images with great chromatic aberration control and good build quality, all for the unbelievably low price"

2. Imaging Resource: "This budget-friendly, ultra-wide lens gives the big boys a run for their money"

3. This lens is also sold under the Samyang brand. ePHOTOzine recommends it: "You may be forgiven for expecting poor optical performance for such an inexpensive lens, but that certainly isn't the case with the Samyang 14mm. Sharpness in the centre of the image area is already excellent at f/2.8, although the quality towards the edges of the frame falls behind somewhat. Stopping the lens down improves quality across the frame, reaching excellent levels between f/5.6 and f/11. This would be very good performance for any lens, but this is quite incredible for such an inexpensive optic."

One thing that you'll read is that it has mustache distortion. I found a user developed Lightroom lens profile that works very well.

All-in-all, for the price, this lens appears to be a steal of a deal. Time will tell.

IMG_304646.jpgIMG_304647.jpg

Last edited:

rocketman122

I know I'm just venting but... But I'm not rich, having just bought a D700 (got a great deal) and now I'm looking for an extreme wide angle zoom (not fisheye) to go with it. Since i shoot a lot of landscapes.

Of course i cannot afford the 14-24mm f/2.8 IF ED $1750, so what does that leave me with? a BIG FAT NOTHING!!!

DX users have the:

Nikon 10-24mm AF-S f/3.5-4.5 G ED (DX)
Nikon 12-24mm AF-S f/4 (DX)
Tokina 11-16mm IF (DX)
Tokina 12-24 F/4 AF AT-X PRO (DX) II
Nikon 18-200mm VR and VRII (DX)

Are you starting to see a pattern here? Plus most of them are at a very reasonable price = less than 1000$

SO what I've learned by buying a full-frame body...
Nikon thinks we're all press photographers not paying for lenses and we're limited in lenses unless we go old school and we chase discontinued ones on eBay?!?!

I'm all for quality but DX looks pretty much appealing right now. Or that I should have bought a Canon 5D for half the D700's price, along with a 10-22mm zoom that blows everything else out of the water, including Nikon's 14-24mm (sorry Nikon) [SIZE=+1]
[/SIZE]

My question is what's out there that will match full-frame quality, until i sell my first born and buy the 14-24mm?

And no i don't consider 28mm extreme wide angle...

Thanks for all tips and criticism lol

and none of them are really stellar.

dude, get the Tokina, youll be very happy. built like a tank, IQ is amazing, very close to the 14-24 from reviews from f/4, fast AF, $700.

BackdoorArts

I suspect Gladiator has sorting things out by now. If he hasn't, he never will.

Alas, given that he hasn't posted to the forum since September 2012, we may never know.