Nikon D90 vs D5000

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
You might want to consider attending one of the Nikonian workshops (http://www.nikoniansacademy.com/nikon-Master+your+Nikon+D90+and+D80-workshop/48). I was struggling a bit when I jumped from a D70s to a D300 and that was invaluable. Working with my camera, practical examples and even walking outside to try things was awesome. (I actually drove down to Raleigh from Philly too!) The class was limited to 12 people which ensured some one-on-one time with the instructor.

luvinrunnin

QUOTE=Eduard;3109]You might want to consider attending one of the Nikonian workshops (Master your Nikon D90 and D80 | Workshop Detail | Nikonians Academy). I was struggling a bit when I jumped from a D70s to a D300 and that was invaluable. Working with my camera, practical examples and even walking outside to try things was awesome. (I actually drove down to Raleigh from Philly too!) The class was limited to 12 people which ensured some one-on-one time with the instructor.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll sure take a look. I am struggling with the manual, although I haven't gotten very far lol. I'm such a visual learner and the workshop sounds like it would be very useful.

Joseph, is it really hard to deal with the RAW files?? And what's the best software to use? I have never edited photos at all, and have other things that need my monetary attention for now, so it will be a bit before I can purchase a program that costs much. I'm glad you told me that about using the RAW files right off as I would certainly have thought it best to stick with the easy JPEG files. I know the RAW files are preferable d/t the editing ability.

You guys are great and I appreciate your tolerance if these issues have been brought up repeatedly, as I'm sure they have!

Classes, classes = definitely a good investment.

An even better, and less expensive investment: www.meetup.com

There are three groups in Jacksonville, FL - I used Waycross, GA as a starting point as you don't specify WHERE in SE Georgia you're from.

Look around for a photography group - there's one in my area for West County Photographers. I belong to the group and help beginners learn how to create better images.

Last edited:

luvinrunnin

There are three groups in Jacksonville, FL - I used Waycross, GA as a starting point as you don't specify WHERE in SE Georgia you're from.

Look around for a photography group - there's one in my area for West County Photographers. I belong to the group and help beginners learn how to create better images.

Waycross would be fantastic! I am in Jesup, but am originally from Jax, and only 2+hrs or so from there depending on where in Jax.

Am meeting up with a fellow D90 user next week. Funny, she is the mom to one of our patients, and showed me some of her photography and made me very jealous! However, I didn't decide on a d90 until I'd done a ton of research and then realized I'd chosen the same lol. We became friends and she's going to take me out to the Creole Nature trail for some photo shooting (teaching lol) and I'm really excited about that. I am working in La right now, but interviewing for a job next week so that I can go back home to Jesup.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the info I've gained from this site!!! Absolutely priceless. I would be for sure lost as a duck in the desert without it!

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod

Thanks for the link, I haven't heard of it before. Definitely gonna check it out.

Am meeting up with a fellow D90 user next week. Funny, she is the mom to one of our patients, and showed me some of her photography and made me very jealous! However, I didn't decide on a d90 until I'd done a ton of research and then realized I'd chosen the same lol. We became friends and she's going to take me out to the Creole Nature trail for some photo shooting (teaching lol).

I think there are two different aspects to learning to use your camera. The class is to learn to use the tool, the fellow user is to learn how to see.

I have a couple shooting friends that I went to the Kelby Photowalk with last week-end. I'd say we're all solid amateurs and technically very capable shooters. One of them brought along a semi-professional - who was shooting film. I learned tons by watching his creative process and vision.

Joseph Bautsch

I don't know what kind of computer setup you have. If you have a PC then I would recommend Lightroom III. If you use Apple then I would recommend Aperture3 over Lightroom. Both programs can be purchased for around $200. Using RAW is not that difficult. Both RAW and Jpeg are computer data files with very similar handling characteristics. RAW files are much larger than Jpeg and take more storage space. Taking pictures, downloading, naming files, storing them, moving them around folders and projects there is no difference. The big difference is with RAW you will need a program with a RAW converter as found in LightRoom or Photoshop to use with a PC. If you are using an Apple computer, then the Apple OS has the RAW converter built in. These photo management programs will read the type of file you have on the card whether it's Jpeg or RAW and do the appropriate download applying the RAW conversion where needed and send the pictures to the folder or project you designated. From there you can organize files and folders or open photos for editing.

luvinrunnin

I have a pc. I'll look into the Lightroom III then. I know Photoshop is pretty expensive. I am sure I'll have to buy an external drive. The pc at home is fairly old, and right now am using a laptop with a decent amt of storage space, but not max amt.

Also, I ended up purchasing a 50mm lens that you recommended. Was pretty cheap, and I was hooked when I read that one could obtain pretty decent macro shots with a lens reversing ring, which I also got. Will look to get either the 70-300 or 85mm that you recommended soon as well. Then I should be set for a very long time lol.

fotojack

You could try Paint Shop Digital Pro X3 if you want something much cheaper than Lightshop. Great processing program. Oh, while I'm at it.....do a Google on PhotoME. Download the free program. You'll like. :)

luvinrunnin

I don't know what kind of computer setup you have. If you have a PC then I would recommend Lightroom III. If you use Apple then I would recommend Aperture3 over Lightroom. Both programs can be purchased for around $200. Using RAW is not that difficult. Both RAW and Jpeg are computer data files with very similar handling characteristics. RAW files are much larger than Jpeg and take more storage space. Taking pictures, downloading, naming files, storing them, moving them around folders and projects there is no difference. The big difference is with RAW you will need a program with a RAW converter as found in LightRoom or Photoshop to use with a PC. If you are using an Apple computer, then the Apple OS has the RAW converter built in. These photo management programs will read the type of file you have on the card whether it's Jpeg or RAW and do the appropriate download applying the RAW conversion where needed and send the pictures to the folder or project you designated. From there you can organize files and folders or open photos for editing.

Found the Lightshop III for $299. Ouch! I know the program will make a huge difference in how easy it is to store, find and edit pics though. Know anywhere to get it cheaper?? The update is $99 but I am assuming I'd have to have Lightshop 2....

Joseph Bautsch

I recommended the 85mm f/1.8 for indoor shooting and it's almost as expensive as the 70-300 VRii. The 70-300 will be great for outdoor and very close up shots. Two very different lenses for very different styles of shooting.

Paint Shop Digital Pro X3 is made by Corel, Inc. and right now now you can get it for $59.99 on sale. It's a good program and works well. It also has the RAW Converter you will need to shoot in Nikon NEF (RAW). Lightroom III has more features and has a more sophisticated photo editing system. But of course you pay more for it. You can down load both the Paint Shop and Lightroom programs for a 30 day free trial. I recommend doing so to determine which one you want to use.

Photoshop is more oriented to the graphic artist and it can do all the photo editing you want. But it is very complex to use with a very steep learning curve and runs in the $600 range. If you want to look at what Photoshop can do download the 30 day free trial of PSE8, Photo Shop Elements. It's a pared down version of Photoshop. These programs have very poor photo management systems. They are primarily for photo editing and graphic arts.

I keep harping on photo management. The first thing you need to learn is to organize, store, and manage your photo files. Organizing one or two thousand photos when you first start out is not much of a problem. But can you find a particular photo you remember taking three years ago out of the 20,000 or more you have on your computer? Being an active photographer over the years you will accumulate more than that. Also losing a couple of thousand photos because you didn't have the proper and well thought out photo management system in place can be heart breaking. Photo organization and management first then editing. You can always go back and edit pictures even years later but you can't do that with pictures you've lost or can't find.

You also need to start out with a good storage and back up system. You can buy an external 500 GB hard drive for about $80-$90. Whether it's the internal HD on your computer or an external they have a bad habit of going bad at almost any time. You need to have your photos stored in at least two places. Once on your computer and again on an external hard drive. Also consider storing on DVD's. If properly stored a DVD is good for about 10 years. Event photographers, like for weddings, use DVD's. Once they have made the "sale" they may not have to access the pictures for many years.

luvinrunnin

Thanks for the insight, and please forgive my error. I noticed I called it Lightshop instead of Lightroom.

Is there a particular organization system that makes it easier to find a phot much later in time? I understand the need for an external HD, and have the ability to make DVD's ( I think anyway) on my laptop.

I surely can't afford the Photoshop at $600 right now. Could probably do the Lightroom fairly soon, but will definitely do the 30 day trial to see which I'd prefer. The $59 price tag of the Paint is pretty enticing at the moment though! Question...........will it crash my computer if I have both programs on here at the same time??

Since I won't be doing much shooting in indoor arenas I'll go for the 70-300mm lens first and worry about the 85mm later.

I played around just a wee bit this am. Took a few shots of some flowers. Nothing fantastic, and still on auto mode for the moment until I get a few days off and can really play with changing settings, etc. I really enjoyed the camera and look forward to being able to take even closer close ups. Spose I better download one of those editing programs tonight so I can play with my photos! Can't wait to have some photos worth of putting in my gallery~~~~

Joseph Bautsch

Most but not all us a date system. I will explain my system which works very well for me. Also I use Aperture III, which may have different terminology. I create a Library for each of the years I have photos. Then I create a sub folder for each shooting event. That will have, first a date then title, year + month + day (space) title. The date is all one number, such as todays date will look like: 100802. The computer will list the events by date, first by year, then by month then by day. It keeps everything in date sequence. Then if I have different activities happening in that event I set up a sub folder for that. The different activities don't have to be dated. They all fall under the shooting event which is already dated. But a shooting event might occur over several days. In that case I just add only the day the activity was shot "behind" it. It goes behind the activity because my computer is set up to sequence everything by date. If I put a number in front of the activity the computer will grab it and file it who knows where.

Example for a 2010 Library:

100802 Atlanta Rodeo, Two Day Event
Mom Barrel Racing, 02
Daughter Barrel Racing, 02
Clowns, 02
Mom Barrel Racing, 03
Daughter Barrel Racing, 03
Bull Riding, 03
100804A New Shooting Event
100804B New shooting Event

Note, if I'm shooting two different events on the same date then I add the letter A behind the first date, no space, and the letter B behind the second one. The computer will order the same dates in alphabetical order. Also be sure to include enough information in the titles to have meaning at a latter date. is First thing to do is when you get the program you want to use is to learn how the program does it's organizing. You have to work within those bounds. Then sit down with pencil and paper and wright down how you want it organized and keep it next to the computer. Because next week you may not remember what you did or how you did it. Use the KISS method (Keep it simple stupid). Most of these programs often provide specialized folders to organize your pictures in a multitude of different ways. But you FIRST have to create a good basic method of organizing your files. I can find any photo I need any where in the system.

Your system should not crash with those two programs. I don't know how old your computer is but it should be capable of multi-tasking and should run both programs at the same time. Check on the multi-tasking ability first before trying it.

Keep all your "playing around photos" and use them to work out your organizing procedure.