nikon d7100 macro lens or telephoto lens

nikonos

so what you all saying its that i should go on the third party lens -tamron 90mm ? i think that too because i read more about those 2 lenses and there is not the big different between the 105 to the 90

one more question is it sharp? how sharp ? and how is the auto focus

evan447

the tamron is probably sharper stopped down beyond f8 than the nikon 105vr. the tamrons AF is noisy and it also extends to double its physical length when focusing at minimum distance.
vr is no big deal as it is not very effective at macro distances, in fact the four extra glass elements in the vr lens may induce ca slightly.
i have owned and used the tamron and 105mm micro nikkor af-d {non vr}. ..... i sold the tamron in favour of the micro nikkor.

red_october

Have you considered the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM? I'm seriously considering buying one of these. I've already got the Tamron 90 and I have to agree it's sharp, but the autofocus is extremely noisy and the lens extends out by quite a bit which scares the bugs away.

​Just a thought...

evan447

if you want to get bug macros without scaring them the sigma 150 with or without the sigma 1.4tc is my weapon of choice. for butterflys and dragonflys i prefer the nikon 300mm f4 af-s with the nikon tc 14ii. it doubles for birds/mamals too.

nikonos

im going to buy the nikon 105 micro first of all she is very quiet and VERYYY fast and also amazingly sharppp i tried it and she is amazing !!

oldsalt

The Sigma 150 f2.8 is a great lens for "bugs" etc ... you don't get too close and scare 'em or shoot in your own shadow... works for me.
cheers