Nikon 85 mm 1.4 G

eurotrash

Thanks. Here's some pictures for reference. First one is at the MINIMAL focus distance for my Sigma 50mm 1.4, about 18 inches :
mindistance.jpg

Then, I took one from what I thought to be about the 'correct' distance to be using the lens, about 5 feet away. Just 'looked right' in the viewfinder. No processing was done to either image at all except convert to jpg from 12bit raw.

optimaldistance.jpg

So, as you can see in the first shot, the focus point was aimed directly at the "O" in Oakley. It overshot a ways and hit on the nose piece instead. In the second shot, the entire frame with the Oakley logo is in perfect and exact focus with just as much oof elements as you'd expect at f/2. So there's my proof. Real world shooting, lol.

Mike D90

Re: Nikkor 85mm 1.4G...

I am really sick of hearing how awesome your lens is. I think you need to send it to me and let me see if you are lying or not! :p

crycocyon

So Shootraw's thread on his 85 1.4G and wonderful images reminded me of the back focus issue I had with shooting at f1.4 with the D800. With the D800 I would always shoot at 2.8 to avoid that problem. So for example, if I shot someone's face, the focus would be on the far eye, not the near one. So, I just grabbed the 85 and put it on the new D4, opened it up to 1.4 and tried it on my wife. Perfect focus every time on the eye closest to the camera! :eek: Holy cow. It is great to see that, but I guess it is just the issue with the higher resolution sensors. It is so nice to have that complete freedom and make use of the full range of this still incredible lens.