Nikon 55-200mm questions

CD1982

so I have a Nikon d5200 it came with the 18-55 kit lens..
and im going to be buying another lens here soon for shooting a bit longer distances..
for instances like ducks on the water at the lake. would this be the idea lens for my second lens for my camera

Sandpatch

I have the 55-200mm and it's fine for my needs. You can instead opt for the 55-300mm for more reach at more money;it all depends on the distance you are able to shoot from. If you choose the 300mm, you'll never have regret, except for the extra money spent I suppose. I've been shooting pictures for a great many years, so knew from experience that my need for a 300mm lens was infrequent.

john*thomas

The 55-200 is great for the money. You can buy one used for less than $100. There isn't much you can get for that. It's pretty average overall though. I took this with mine on my D5100. Not super sharp but to do better you are likely going to have to spend a good bit more money.

029 (1280x848).jpg

Mike D90

It is not great at low light anywhere. It is a max aperture f/4 at 55mm. If you zoom it out to 200mm it is max aperture of 5.6. Not good for low light.

It is a 200mm focal length so on a crop sensor you will see the same field of view as if it were a 300mm lens. But, even at 300mm if you cannot get real close to the ducks you won't get good close up detailed shots and the lens isn't very sharp at full zoom.

Not what I would recommend for a bird lens if you cannot get within 10 feet of the bird.

CD1982

just looking for something that will get out a bit farther than the 18-55 lens...
had a guy at best buy try an sell me the 18-140 lens that would be a great while before I can buy it...

Mike D90

Well, the 55-200mm will get out farther than the 18-55mm. It just may not get out as far as you need it too. It's a great lens for the money as said earlier. It just has its limitations like all other lenses and it all depends on what you want out of it.

Trouble is, you won't know that until you have used it. Do you know someone who would loan you that lens for a few days and let you try it out?

No sense in buying the 18-140mm as that gives you redundant coverage. The 18-55mm is a decent lens and adding the 55-200mm makes some sense as it starts where the other leaves off.

Last edited:

Roy1961

i had the 55-200, i could never quite get the reach i wanted, bought the 55-300 and it works for me, if i had of researched better i would have gotten the 70-300 so i could have used the converters, more expensive i know, but......

john*thomas

Buy a used one.....As I said.....less than $100. If you like it great.....if not you can get all or most of your money back out of it.

There are most certainly better lenses out there if you have the money. If not......I'd like to get a 18-300 but I'm not ready to shell out the money. :)

CD1982

im also not ready to shell out money for a more expensive lens...
im not big on buying used items like this to be honest and ive not seen any used ones local

SteveH

Have you thought about renting a lens for a weekend? Rent a 55-200 and try it in your own time taking the shots you have in mind, then if you aren't happy with the results, you have only lost couple of dollars, not a hundred!

CD1982

In some way I was wrong and some way I was correct. .There is a small place that has lens rental but he don't have the one I want to try