New visionary with memory card question.

redPen

Hey, all.

Just received the 5100 for Christmas after having gone years with an artistic vision and no funds to put it into focus. I got the two lense kit (18-55 & 55-200) and thought that it came with a memory card. It did not.

With so many options out there for cards I find myself having a more difficult decision choosing a card than I did with choosing the 5100.

Lexar Media 64GB Platinum II 200x SDHC at bestbuy is $49.99. I'm thinking this is a pretty good deal. Your opinion?

Thanks.
-redPen....

M.Hinch

I myself preffer " Transend " and I carry a few of them with me. Why a few 8GB you may ask, well god forbid you spend a week or weekend taking photos and your card goes zonkers, everything may be gone. Now if you had divided it up over several cards, not all is lost. Just my opinion.

Michael

nikonpup

hope u did not throw your boxes away. They hide my memory are in a very obscure location. See page 218 for card info. 64 gb will hold about 7000 photos. Get a couple 4 or
8 gb cards. If your are going to shoot a lot of video get a 32 gb.

redPen

I myself preffer " Transend " and I carry a few of them with me. Why a few 8GB you may ask, well god forbid you spend a week or weekend taking photos and your card goes zonkers, everything may be gone. Now if you had divided it up over several cards, not all is lost. Just my opinion.

Michael

I like that idea. I never thought about it that way. Thanks.

hope u did not throw your boxes away. They hide my memory are in a very obscure location. See page 218 for card info. 64 gb will hold about 7000 photos. Get a couple 4 or
8 gb cards. If your are going to shoot a lot of video get a 32 gb.

Thanks. I'll be sure to check the boxes again. I do plan on shooting quite a lot of video.

I guess I was just quite average in my thinking that more is better.

§am

I use a Sandisk Extereme 32GB card (rated at upto 45MB/s).
It's a class 10 card, but as the D5100 supports UHS-1 (and so does this card), you can expect speeds closer to 50MB/s

You'll get well over 2.5k photos on there with large fine quality jpeg settings.
Not had any card fail on me yet, but if you backup often enough then not an issue :)

Prices are £~20 for the above card :)