New to the site lots of great info.

Ndoutdoors

Im debating lots of things now as i continue to improve. I have a sony nex-3 that i started with as well as a d40x and a new d5100. Debating switching the 5100 for a 7000 as alot of people have seen my work and want me to take photos of them and id like to get into this part time. Im currently in the military. Any ideas on camera? Keep the 5100 or upgrade to the d7000?

Dave_W

The Dude
Welcome to the board! To be honest, I don't think the word "upgrade" truly applies when going from a D5100 to a D7000, they both share the same sensor and processor and only differ on the body construction and a few additional abilities that the D7000 has over the D5100. If you look around here, some of the best photos on this site are from D5100's, so there's very little lacking in a D5100 compared to the D7000.

I would contend the real upgrade would be a D600. Or if you have a 6 to 8 month window, why not wait for the next new Nikon DXX? The D7000 is nearly 2 yrs old and given the pace of price reductions, I'd say it's a near certainty it will be replaced with a D-something in the near future.

Rick M

I agree with Dave, the next new Dx should be out in a few months, might be worth the wait. Unless you want to take the plunge into Fx, I went from the D5100 to D600 and it's fantastic.

Ruidoso Bill

My advice would be earn some money first and put it towards your camera equipment. Lenses, bodies, flashes, tripods, filters, computers, software, printers, the list has no known end. Much of the equipment by itself will not necessarily result in better pictures. The better pictures come from you becoming a better photographer.

Ndoutdoors

Thanks for the info. I've taken some decent pictures so far and have shot about 2500 in my first week with 5100. I think I will save for a better camera. As far as computer goes I have a MacBook pro but I have not invested in software to edit photos yet. Any suggestions on that?

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
As far as computer goes I have a MacBook pro but I have not invested in software to edit photos yet. Any suggestions on that?

Max the memory on your computer - you'll see an immediate improvement. On the Mac you can't go wrong with Aperture or Lightroom. If you think that you'll use a PC at some point, I'd suggest Lightroom. Either will require some effort to learn but the investment in time is well worth the improvement in your images.