New to Photography and Nikons, have a few questions.

frtorres87

Hello everyone, I just decided to purchase a Nikon D5100 from B&H and I'm super excited to get it and get to know my camera. My experience with cameras is very basic, I've only ever used point and shoots or an iPhone. I've been doing some research but I still have a few questions. My camera will arrive with the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Lens, from what I've read it's a pretty basic lens, but I basically want to know what is this lens good for? I've also been looking into purchases a better lens and after some research I've narrowed my choices down to Nikon AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED Lens or Nikon AF-S Nikkor 55-300 f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Zoom Lens. Which one is better? Also what situations are these lens good for? I have a hard time understand what lens are good for what. Also what does all this mean "AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED Lens or Nikon AF-S Nikkor 55-300 f/4.5-5.6G"? I apologize in advance for the very newbish question but I'd be grateful for any help.

BackdoorArts

Congrats on taking the leap.

Is the 18-55mm a "pretty basic lens"? I don't know. A 50mm lens is pretty basic. It doesn't zoom in or out, it just focuses where it's at. But it's sharp as a tack and does the job when I need it. But there are times when I want to be able to zoom in and out, and the 18-55mm on a camera like yours is an almost perfect lens for just walking around. Wide enough to capture a scene in a smallish room or a landscape, and still allow you to zoom in on a subject if you want. I prefer the 18-105mm as it gives me a little more reach, but if I had the 18-55mm it wouldn't bother me. By all accounts it's a terrific lens (I have the FX equivalent, the 24-85 and it does great). What I'm saying is, don't short change what you have. Learn what it gives you, and figure out what it doesn't that you want it to and use that to see what's next.

The 55-200mm or 55-300mm is a logical next step. There are several threads that talk about the virtues of each, so have a look. You'll get more reach with the 55-300, obviously, but it'll also reach deeper into your wallet.

RockyNH_RIP

Hello everyone, I just decided to purchase a Nikon D5100 from B&H and I'm super excited to get it and get to know my camera. My experience with cameras is very basic, I've only ever used point and shoots or an iPhone. I've been doing some research but I still have a few questions. My camera will arrive with the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Lens, from what I've read it's a pretty basic lens, but I basically want to know what is this lens good for? I've also been looking into purchases a better lens and after some research I've narrowed my choices down to Nikon AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED Lens or Nikon AF-S Nikkor 55-300 f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Zoom Lens. Which one is better? Also what situations are these lens good for? I have a hard time understand what lens are good for what. Also what does all this mean "AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED Lens or Nikon AF-S Nikkor 55-300 f/4.5-5.6G"? I apologize in advance for the very newbish question but I'd be grateful for any help.

Welcome to Nikonites... I also have the 5100 and really enjoy it. I use the kit lens 18-55 ALOT! It is the lens mostly on my camera even though I have others because it is so veratile as Jake mentioned.

I also have both the 55-200 and the 55-300. Both are good. The 200 is less expensive but good quality. You can actually find lots of used deals for under $200 as many people get it with a kit and then upgrade.

You have to decide how much zoom you need... for "most" people, the 55-200 will let you reach out and get shots at a greater distance. If you are needing more reach (wildlife etc) than you may want the 300, you have to decide...

Simple explains:
AF-S Auto focus Lens with SW Motor built in, those are the best lenses for your camera if you want to auto focus
DX Crop sensor camera like your 5100 Others are considered FULL Frame. 100mm lens on a FF is 100mm, on a DX or crop sensor it is the equal of 150mm. Your pro models tend to be FF (not minimizing what we can do we are consumer models) :)
VR Vibration reduction, attempts to correct for hand hold shake and most useful on longer lens, 200-300 etc.

Hope that helps you some... spend some time with your manual, get really familiar with your camera, take some shots and share them..

Pat in NH

Last edited:

frtorres87

Congrats on taking the leap.

Is the 18-55mm a "pretty basic lens"? I don't know. A 50mm lens is pretty basic. It doesn't zoom in or out, it just focuses where it's at. But it's sharp as a tack and does the job when I need it. But there are times when I want to be able to zoom in and out, and the 18-55mm on a camera like yours is an almost perfect lens for just walking around. Wide enough to capture a scene in a smallish room or a landscape, and still allow you to zoom in on a subject if you want. I prefer the 18-105mm as it gives me a little more reach, but if I had the 18-55mm it wouldn't bother me. By all accounts it's a terrific lens (I have the FX equivalent, the 24-85 and it does great). What I'm saying is, don't short change what you have. Learn what it gives you, and figure out what it doesn't that you want it to and use that to see what's next.

The 55-200mm or 55-300mm is a logical next step. There are several threads that talk about the virtues of each, so have a look. You'll get more reach with the 55-300, obviously, but it'll also reach deeper into your wallet.

Thank you for your input and your right. I will spend quite some time with the 18-55 and get to know it before I move on. I also think I'll go with the 55-300 instead of the 55-200.

frtorres87

Welcome to Nikonites... I also have the 5100 and really enjoy it. I use teh kit lens 18-55 ALOT! It is the lens mostly on my camera even though I have others because it is so veratile as Jake mentioned.

I also have both the 55-200 and the 55-300. Both are good. The 200 is less expensive but good quality. You can actually find lots of used deals for under $200 as many people get it with a kit and then upgrade.

You have to decide how much zoom you need... for "most" people, the 55-200 will let you reach out and get shots at a greater distance. If you are needing more reach (wildlife etc) than you may want the 300, you have to decide...

Simple explains:
AF-S Auto focus Lens with SW Motor built in, those are the best lenses for your camera if you want to auto focus
DX Crop sensor camera like your 5100 Others are considered FULL Frame. 100mm lens on a FF is 100mm, on a DX or crop sensor it is the equal of 150mm. Your pro models tend to be FF (not minimizing what we can do we are consumer models) :)
VR Vibration reduction, attempts to correct for hand hold shake and most useful on longer lens, 200-300 etc.

Hope that helps you some... spend some time with your manual, get really familiar with your camera, take some shots and share them..

Pat in NH

Thank you.

§am

Welcome to the forums.

Glad your questions have been answered, but of course if you have move, come back and ask.. we won't bite :)

SkvLTD

Just my 2 cents- got an older 18-70mm G ED and I like it miles more than the 18-55. Used market could allow ya to sell the 18-55 and get a used 18-70 at almost net 0-10$ difference, and it's very much worth it.

Thank you for your input and your right. I will spend quite some time with the 18-55 and get to know it before I move on. I also think I'll go with the 55-300 instead of the 55-200.

Just remember that the longer the focal length 200 or 300 that faster shutter speed you need to use. The old rule of thumb was shoot the speed at the length of the lens. example 200 at 1/250 or with the 18 to 55 you might use 1/60sec. With VR lenses you should be able to shoot a little slower. That all depends on how steady you are.

frtorres87

Just remember that the longer the focal length 200 or 300 that faster shutter speed you need to use. The old rule of thumb was shoot the speed at the length of the lens. example 200 at 1/250 or with the 18 to 55 you might use 1/60sec. With VR lenses you should be able to shoot a little slower. That all depends on how steady you are.

Great information! I've actually been taking notes on tips I find here. I really want to learn how to handle my camera.