New Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3

Geoffc

Here's where I'm at with the Tammy so far.Very pleased with the results right out of the box and I normally AF fine tune things to achieve happiness. I may do this one as well but happy as is so far. To put that into perspective I tried to buy a second one today so my wife and I can have one each as the fist fight we had over this one last night was a messy affair, albeit she only just beat me :)

It might sound a little decadent to be getting a second unit but in fairness we've been waiting for this thing to be available for six or more months and always intended to get a pair once we'd tried the first to see how it performed. So far I've failed in my mission as even the place that showed stock in the UK was actually sold out. I've put my name down.

The other debate I've been involved in over the past year or more was how does my Nikon TC-20E III perform at 400mm on the Nikon 70-200 2.8 VRII. I've previously posted images from that combo showing just how sharp it can be, however I've never been happy with the consistency of the results. Now that could be me, my camera bodies, my lens or my TC. Today I did a quick test today on a tripod with MUP comparing the Tammy at 400m (5.6, well 6.0 and F8) against the 70-200 TC combo at 5.6 and F8. In the first test the Tammy won hands down to my eye. I then tried a different D7100, with a different 70-200 but the same TC. In fairness it was an improvement but still not as good as the Tammy. Both the 70-200/D7100 combos had also previously been AF fine tuned. The Nikon combo also showed noticeable CA against a light bachground!!

The other thing I did was take the Tammy and Nikon combos outside and take a couple of snapshots from my driveway handheld. Again the VC on the Tammy easily beat the Nikon combo.

These tests are not scientific but to me they tell the truth about what I'll see in actual use, particularly the outdoor shots, but YMMV. If you have the TC/70-200 combo and get good results that's great and don't rush to change it, but for me the TC-20E is about to be sold so I can get fantastic results from the bare 70-200 and great images from the Tammy at the longer focal lengths.

One final point. The 70-200 and TC went back to Nikon shortly after I bought them as I wasn't happy, so they should be a good example.

Geoffc

Oh and it gets better. The camera shop in the UK (Park Cameras) that had stock showing, initially said they had customers pre-allocated for the remaining stock and unfortunately could let me have that unit. Good as their word they've just called me back after double checking the pre-orders and somebody had put their name down twice. Number two is now on its way to me for the weekend ;);):cool:

mikew_RIP

Great news we can now have a side by side comparison from two lenses,any slight chance of a will it lock and maintain focus on birds in flight test :D

Geoffc

Great news we can now have a side by side comparison from two lenses,any slight chance of a will it lock and maintain focus on birds in flight test :D

Mike,

I now have both lenses in hand and I can say this. I AF fine tuned the pair onto two D7100 and one D800 bodies today and in the process found them both to be within similar and very acceptable tolerances. With regards to BIF I'm no seasoned expert so any errors could equally be me, however when I tried it the other day it did seem to lock and track OK. I'm only guessing, but as I now stand a better chance of the subject filling more of the frame, the AF may work better than on a shorter lens taking the same shot. Only a thought.

Debrus

I just ordered one but it is on backorder at B&H Photo. My son was in Japan two weeks ago and actually got to shoot some photos with one and he and I are strictly Nikon people but for $1069.00 this is a great lens. He was very impressed and has a 400mm Nikon and is going to sell it and buy this Tamron. I cannot wait until I get it to start taking some wildlife photos.