MY NIKON 1 V3 Shots!

Phillydog1958

These rock formations date back to the Cretaceous period, some 80 million years ago. They're made of fossilized chalk and were once the floor of a deep ocean that covered what is now Kansas. Once the waters started to recede, these rocks were cut and formed by the current. They're located about 25 miles outside of Oakley, in NW Kansas. Taken July 30th, 2014 -- Sunset. They go by the name of "Monument Rocks."
These shots were all taken in low-light conditions, at high ISO.

Last edited:

donaldjledet

Thanks phillydog. Was in Oakley two days ago. Didn't, know that was near by.
After seeing the low light photos and ISO just about ready to pull the trigger on the v3

Phillydog1958

Thanks phillydog. Was in Oakley two days ago. Didn't, know that was near by.
After seeing the low light photos and ISO just about ready to pull the trigger on the v3

Congrats on your decision to to go with the V3. You won't be disappointed. Yep, Don you gotta go back out west. Your GPS can get you there. I typed in "Monument Rocks." It came up and my GPS got me there without any confusion. Don, some of those shots were at 3200. I was impressed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phillydog1958

Beautiful scenery - thanks for sharing! Did you use a CPL?

Thanks Ed. I did this shoot as part of a landscape photography class that I'm taking. We all had a class assignment. My instructor suggested that I shoot the Monument Rocks in NW Kansas. I don't have a CPL, but I had that conversation with my instructor. He suggested that I get one, if I'm going to "Focus" on landscape photography, no pun intended. :D

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks Ed. I did this shoot as part of a landscape photography class that I'm taking. We all had a class assignment. My instructor suggested that I shoot the Monument Rocks in NW Kansas. I don't have a CPL, but I had that conversation with my instructor. He suggested that I get one, if I'm going to "Focus" on landscape photography, no pun intended. :D

Yeah I would agree with that recommendation. The CPL would have made the sky pop and the reflection on the first image would be more intense.

Phillydog1958

Yeah I would agree with that recommendation. The CPL would have made the sky pop and the reflection on the first image would be more intense.

My instructor mentioned that I should get a CPL that allows for step-down from one filter size to another. I needs something that will allow for me to use a 16-35mm (77mm), 24-70mm (77mm) and then allow for a step down to the Nikon 1 6-7-13mm (52mm). Is that possible? Any suggestions on a specific brand or proper approach?

Phillydog1958

These ancient rock formations are considered to be one of The 8 Wonders of Kansas.

Attachments

• Boulders2.jpg
    Boulders2.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 157
  • Crack.jpg
    Crack.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 174
  • Rockcity.jpg
    Rockcity.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 170
  • Rockpeep.jpg
    Rockpeep.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 157
  • Rockslab.jpg
    Rockslab.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 154
  • Rocktree.jpg
    Rocktree.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

Phillydog1958

This is the Coronado Heights Park and Castle. It was built in 1932 under the Work Progress Administration. It's also one of The 8 Wonders of Kansas.

Attachments

• Caslte.jpg
    Caslte.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 168
  • Castleedge.jpg
    Castleedge.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 157
  • Castlelong.jpg
    Castlelong.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 150
  • Castleside.jpg
    Castleside.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Chimney.jpg
    Chimney.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 160
  • Coronadoscape.jpg
    Coronadoscape.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 158
  • Dungeon.jpg
    Dungeon.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 161
  • Dungeon2.jpg
    Dungeon2.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Scape2.jpg
    Scape2.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Scapepeep.jpg
    Scapepeep.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

Phillydog1958

These are the Monument Rock formations that date back to the Cretaceous Period -- 0ver 80 million years ago. They're also one of The 8 Wonders of Kansas.

Attachments

• Monument1.jpg
    Monument1.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 204
  • Monumenttwo.jpg
    Monumenttwo.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

Phillydog1958

This is the St. Fidelis Church, in Victoria, KS and it's also one of The 8 Wonders of Kansas. Why? Because it's located in Western Kansas, and can be seen from a great distance due to Western Kansas being so flat. St. Fidelis is affectionately called, "Cathedral on the Plains."

Attachments

• Cathedral1.jpg
    Cathedral1.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 141
  • Cathedral2.jpg
    Cathedral2.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 153
  • Cathedral4.jpg
    Cathedral4.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 145
  • cathedralext.jpg
    cathedralext.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

Rick M

My instructor mentioned that I should get a CPL that allows for step-down from one filter size to another. I needs something that will allow for me to use a 16-35mm (77mm), 24-70mm (77mm) and then allow for a step down to the Nikon 1 6-7-13mm (52mm). Is that possible? Any suggestions on a specific brand or proper approach?

CPL's can be an issue when shot on an UW lens. Wide sky scenes will have variable hues/intensity. Generally this occurs below about 20mm. I would get the 77mm for your other lenses and a step down ring to 67mm for your 70-200. That at least covers 3 of your lenses. I picked up a 40mm CPL for my nikon 1 lenses which fits all 3 of the 18.5, 10-30 and 30-110. Was very pleased that those 3 all were 40mm!

Rick M

PS. Brands- Of course the big names are great. I really like Promaster HGX filters, the Repellamax coating is fantastic. They are actually made by Hoya. Whatever brand you get, make sure it is coated, worth every penny!