My New ELLE Magazine Fashion Spread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
The lighting is okay, but the expressions have a lot to be desired. In the very first photo attached to the OP's post, I really don't care for how the photo was captured/cropped. The hair on the top of her head stands straight up giving her a punk look IMHO. I would have preferred seeing this taken from further back or zoomed out more so most of her hair would be visible. And the 2nd to last photo on the link has way too much blush on the right and left sides of her face. Not sure if that is from the make-up artist or from post-processing. The overall effect is very disappointing to me.

West

@Benjamin
I think what the locals would prefer is a chubby, rose cheeked middle aged woman with a down-home smile baking a pie :D

Bob Blaylock

I think what the locals would prefer is a chubby, rose cheeked middle aged woman with a down-home smile baking a pie :D

It's funny, I was thinking at some point yesterday, of comparing these pictures of Ms. Szoka to some I have of my wife. My wife, I have to admit, is very much not supermodel material. Yet, she easily achieves a very friendly, pleasant, appealing expression on her face, that makes pictures of her in which she shows such an expression far more attractive and appealing than any of the pictures in this shoot of Ms. Szoka.

Doing a Google Image search for “Marlena Szoka” reveals that she seems to specialize in exactly the sort of harsh, unappealing facial expressions which completely ruin what would otherwise be a very beautiful face. There are a very few pictures that come up in that search, where she appears more relaxed, that show how beautiful she is capable of being, but most have pretty much the same sort of harsh, ugly, unappealing expressions shown in Mr. Kanarek's pictures.

So here's my wife, “a chubby, rose cheeked middle aged woman with a down-home smile”. I think you have to admit that in these pictures,she looks more appealing and inviting than any of the pictures of Ms. Szoka in Mr. Kanarek's shoot, or the vast majority of them to be found elsewhere online; though admittedly, my wife couldn't possibly compete with those very rare pictures in which Ms. Szoka is shown deigning to smile.

Seanette_20130930_011416.jpg AvaAndSeanette_20131116_151010.jpg 2012-05-02_1335945228.jpg

I'm now reminded of the one time I watched one of Victoria's Secret's annual Christmas Lingerie shows on TV. It featured their usual models, who usually look very appealing, but for some reason, on this show, they all wore the same angry, unpleasant, “Don't you dare look at me, you disgusting sexist pig!” expression, which pretty much ruined the entire effect. If they had deigned to smile, they would have been very beautiful. Well, except one. The best explanation I can come up with for that one was that the producers of this show went to Ethiopia, dug up the rotting corpse of some poor young women who had died in the great famine that happened there about ten or twenty years before, got a witch doctor to animate it as a zombie, dressed it up in lingerie, and paraded it around on the stage with the other models. I much later learned that the name of the grotesque skeletal undead thing that they used in this show is “Alek Wek”, and for some reason, this thing is regarded in some circles as one of the more beautiful supermodels. Not being into necrophilia, I just don't see the appeal there at all.

I guess the more I think of it, the more sense my wife's theory makes, that the fashion industry is dominated by homosexual men who have a deep hatred of women; and that this hatred is often clearly visible in much of the photography that comes out of this industry.

Last edited:

Carolina Photo Guy

Some of you guys are rude...

Sadly, they are also accurate. The photography is beautiful but the clothing and the model are anything but.

Had my ex evidenced ANY of those expressions during our courtship, we would have split immediately.

I'm probably being rude also, but I am also being accurate.

​JMTCW

ShootRaw

Ok, so you don't like the expressions..I get it..But this is this guys work and is good enough to go into Elle magazine..What I would give for a spread like that..

Rick M

I think the comments are really more pointed at the "industry" than the individual. The photographer is shooting what the industry demands for his compensation. I do not like the poses or expressions either, but it's business and not personal (perhaps).

Rick M

There must be a happy medium :). Years ago I saw an article where men were presented images of women of various sizes not knowing their weights. I believe the results showed that men were most attracted to women considered 10-20 lbs. over ideal weight.

Bob Blaylock

There must be a happy medium :). Years ago I saw an article where men were presented images of women of various sizes not knowing their weights. I believe the results showed that men were most attracted to women considered 10-20 lbs. over ideal weight.

It does seem to me that the fashion industry tends to put forth a notion of “beauty” that is both unrealistic and unhealthy.

I think it sends a terrible message to young girls, who want to be seen as beautiful, to think that they need to conform to this image.

For the sake of "equal time" this should please some :cool:

Lingerie plus size - pokaz bielizny xxl.mp4 - YouTube

Some of these models, I'll have to admit, look like they'd do well to lose some excess weight. On the other hand, unlike Ms. Szoka, their faces show an expression of a healthy attitude, that more than makes up for any excess weight they may be carrying. On the whole, though, I have to say that this presentation comes off a bit amateurish. Nothing says “Fat!” like a garment that fits too tightly, forcing flesh to pile over the sides of it that would better fit in a more properly-sized version of that same garment. I bet someone with the right skill at manipulating such things could produce a side-by-side picture of a heavier model wearing properly-fitted clothing and a thinner model wearing too-tight clothing, such that to the viewer, even though it is obvious which model is heavier, that the thinner model would somehow look “fatter” in an unfavorable way than the heavier model.

Browncoat

I think the comments are really more pointed at the "industry" than the individual. The photographer is shooting what the industry demands for his compensation. I do not like the poses or expressions either, but it's business and not personal (perhaps).

Bingo.

I think most of us prefer a sassy women who is a good cook, good mother, and who has some junk in the trunk over a 90 lb. bitchy chick and a shopping habit that requires a trust fund.

It does seem to me that the fashion industry tends to put forth a notion of “beauty” that is both unrealistic and unhealthy.

I think it sends a terrible message to young girls, who want to be seen as beautiful, to think that they need to conform to this image.

Some of these models, I'll have to admit, look like they'd do well to lose some excess weight. On the other hand, unlike Ms. Szoka, their faces show an expression of a healthy attitude, that more than makes up for any excess weight they may be carrying. On the whole, though, I have to say that this presentation comes off a bit amateurish. Nothing says “Fat!” like a garment that fits too tightly, forcing flesh to pile over the sides of it that would better fit in a more properly-sized version of that same garment. I bet someone with the right skill at manipulating such things could produce a side-by-side picture of a heavier model wearing properly-fitted clothing and a thinner model wearing too-tight clothing, such that to the viewer, even though it is obvious which model is heavier, that the thinner model would somehow look “fatter” in an unfavorable way than the heavier model.

You Sir are a Very Special Kind of Human Being. Quite reminiscent of those wonderful bygone times...

West

Bob Blaylock

Bob there is no positive spin to being FAT. As you may know it's now classified as a disease.

Obesity Is Now A Disease, American Medical Association Decides - Medical News Today

True, but being too thin is also unhealthy. And the fashion industry tends to put forth a concept of “beauty” that is based on being significantly thinner than is healthy; hence a growing problem with young girls afflicted with eating disorders, who think that a normal, healthy weight is “too fat”.

Anorexia and bulimia are also classified as diseases, after all.

Remember the skeletal undead creature I mentioned a few posts ago? Here are a few pictures of it, looking somewhat more similar to a living human being than it did in the TV show where I first saw it.

MV5BMTg4OTcwMTQzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDQ2Mjkz._V1._SX276_SY400_.jpg MV5BMTMyNjUxMzIyM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzExNzg0._V1._SX261_SY400_.jpg MV5BODkwMTg0NjU1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDU2NzA1._V1._SX282_SY400_.jpg

It looked a lot worse than this in the Victoria's Secret show where I saw it, dressed only in skimpy underwear that gave a better view of just how freakishly and sickly emaciated its body truly is.

Now, looking at those picture, I think you have to admit that it is far healthier for a woman to be carrying a bit of excess weight, than for her to be as emaciated as this creature; and certainly that any woman who sees images such as these, and gets the idea that this is how she should look, is at high risk of seriously harming herself if she tries to achieve this look.

I certainly have to say that the more I see images like this, being presented as to how a “beautiful” woman is supposed to look, the more attractive women are to me who are actually carrying a healthy amount of weight, and perhaps even a bit more than is entirely healthy.

Last edited:

West

True, but being too thin is also unhealthy. And the fashion industry tends to put forth a concept of “beauty” that is based on being significantly thinner than is healthy; hence a growing problem with young girls afflicted with eating disorders, who think that a normal, healthy weight is “too fat”.

Right you are. I believe that there is an industry backlash to this whole "stick people" thing. Also, I remember hearing something that they were going to have a mandatory minimum weight requirement for models.
I'm sure the OP has the "skinny" on that ;)

Last edited:

Rick M

Why are you cluttering his thread with nonsense...This is about the o.p's spread..

Had this post been in the Critique thread or presented for specific feedback we would keep it more "on track". This is a post thrown up in the off-topic thread which should be open to pretty much all discussion. There really is no specific "track" here to keep it on. Since it borders on advertisement/self promotion and not a serious query for feedback, it is fine to carry on a conversation over the subject matter.

Had this post been in the Critique thread or presented for specific feedback we would keep it more "on track". This is a post thrown up in the off-topic thread which should be open to pretty much all discussion. There really is no specific "track" here to keep it on. Since it borders on advertisement/self promotion and not a serious query for feedback, it is fine to carry on a conversation over the subject matter.

Indeed Rick..You are so right. I merit not to be in the midst of one of your stature. I grovel in your presence and am dwarfed my the magnitude of your immense intellect. Oh forgive me, as I have sinned. I will now return to my hovel.

Status
Not open for further replies.