My first wedding photo shoot (kinda)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Wow gotuazon
Amazing pictures that give me some ideas for weekend
We are going to a nephews wedding next Monday
I'm not expected to take any shots but the 7100 is coming along just to
Get more experience in other projects
The shots using built in flash are ace always thought off camera flash was the only way to go
Congratulations your relatives must be well pleased with those hope I can get anywhere near your quality

Thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate it. I shoot with jpg + RAW. Jpg to preview the images on my computer and I just adjust the white balance and add contrast a bit during post.

Great shots! And fantastic image quality. I come from landscape photography, but was asked to do a wedding of our friends next year, so I'm slowly learning how to portraits. So far I struggled with skin tones under natural light. Skin colours in your pictures look very natural. How did you balance flash and natural light? There are some pictures, with a sun-lit background with your subjects standing in a shade. Where was the flash then? On top of your camera? Sometimes you can see reflections in the skin, but quite a few pictures a very finely balanced. Really, very impressive set of photos, I'm sure the married couple and the guests will appreciate it!

Flash was mounted on the camera's hot shoe. Thank you for your feed back and I am glad that you liked them. :eek:

crycocyon

Very nice images, Glenn. I see the start of a new profession! ;) But with your extensive shooting record and equipment, I'm flabbergasted as to why your family didn't make you the photographer? I'd like to see the pro's shots as I'm guessing yours are better and have a more personal touch. Also I don't see why you couldn't have shot the whole thing. What kind of sponsor were you? Do you have a photo of the photographers in action? I want to see their equipment. I bet they were using 5D MkII's or 1Dx's or something like that....no comparison to the D800E. :cool: Oh and I would have mentioned the quality of flash but you already did. :)

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Great shots Glenn! You must have a nice camera! JK!!

Thank you. They are average cameras. ;)

Very nice images, Glenn. I see the start of a new profession! ;) But with your extensive shooting record and equipment, I'm flabbergasted as to why your family didn't make you the photographer? I'd like to see the pro's shots as I'm guessing yours are better and have a more personal touch. Also I don't see why you couldn't have shot the whole thing. What kind of sponsor were you? Do you have a photo of the photographers in action? I want to see their equipment. I bet they were using 5D MkII's or 1Dx's or something like that....no comparison to the D800E. :cool: Oh and I would have mentioned the quality of flash but you already did. :)

Thanks and great questions. My cousin didn't actually know that I was a newbie photographer and that I was moving from Japan to California. Since we just arrived recently, the couples already hired Pro photographers and a videographer to shoot the wedding.

The other photographers were probably using a Canon MkII and/or possibly a 7D with 50 and 85mm L lenses and Sigma lenses based on my quick observation. They were kinda intimidated by my equipment when I rolled in with my Pelican case and Gitzo tripod. I told the guy that this was their show and I'll try to be out of their way.

The closest picture that I got from him was in the background of this picture. I am curious on how their work compared to mine. They did all of the formals shots with the couple.

NingJohn 121.jpg

SteveL54

Nice shots, Glenn. I like them all except #9, with the speaker sticking out of the guests head.

Perfect timing in #63 with the tie.

Same in #70 with the dress.

You've captured some great memories here.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Nice shots, Glenn. I like them all except #9, with the speaker sticking out of the guests head.

Perfect timing in #63 with the tie.

Same in #70 with the dress.

You've captured some great memories here.

I know what you mean. I stayed at my table since the paid pros were doing their thing in front.

Not bad for a newbie.

Moab Man

Nice photos, but the non posed photos where you caught people being themselves are spectacular. I could feel the fun of the moment.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Nice photos, but the non posed photos where you caught people being themselves are spectacular. I could feel the fun of the moment.

Thank you. I guess this is something that I should keep in mind which is to capture more of the candid moments since the majority here kinda prefer the candid shots. I'll keep this in mind. :D

§am

Beautiful pictures of some beautiful people in a beautiful environment.

The candid shots are certainly very appealing and easy on the eye, but even some of the more 'rigid' posed shots are amazing.
You've done well there indeed, and at the same time had the opportunity to join in with the fun (something you don't often get to do as "the photographer" of the family).

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Beautiful pictures of some beautiful people in a beautiful environment.

The candid shots are certainly very appealing and easy on the eye, but even some of the more 'rigid' posed shots are amazing.
You've done well there indeed, and at the same time had the opportunity to join in with the fun (something you don't often get to do as "the photographer" of the family).

Thanks for your feedback Sam. :eek:

JackStalk

The pictures look awesome, I like the thickness in the contrast. You just gotta watch out with cutting off the feet! :p I often forget my framing, especially during more candid shots.