Multi flash learning curve

Lee532

I have finally received my Yongnuo YN-622n flash triggers and second Yn-568 ex flash gun so not being able to resist I threw them on the camera along with my 35mm f1.8g prime to see if I could get everything to work together and it did first time! Even with the Chinglish manual that everything comes with!
I was lacking a volunteer to use as a model so picked an inanimate object from around the house. Set up in the dining room with the witch on a stool and some blue LED garden lights in the background, new lens and wanted to play bokeh as well!
Only having two triggers meant one flash on the camera, D5100 with no commander, and one flash off camera. I set up with the on camera flash to bounce off the ceiling and the off camera flash with diffuser below to the left at about 45 degrees. Both flashes in I-TTl with the off camera to under expose and fired off a few shots!

DSC_1860.jpg by Lee532, on Flickr

DSC_1880.jpg by Lee532, on Flickr

DSC_1879.jpg by Lee532, on Flickr

Edited in Lightroom to get rid of the dining room wall paper background but quite pleased with first attempts.
I have already ordered another trigger so I can have both flashes off camera and I feel all sorts of playing with soft boxes, diffusers, light benders and snoots may be on the horizon!
Any tips, feedback, criticism will be greatly accepted as I start on my light bending learning curve!

Lee532

Pretty ugly subject, but the shots look good. :) haha. Middle one was a bit dark, but kind of works with the subject. Keep playing!
Thanks. Subject was something a bit interesting if ugly. Second one I was trying for a bit darker and more sinister look fitting of the subject hopefully.

Lee532

Another wet dreary day outside so more playing with multiple flash shots inside. This time a tea light shade with one speedlite inside on manual at 50% and the second set to I-TTL and bounced off the ceiling with diffuser. Edited in LR5 because I still don't like the dining room wallpaper! I think one of my next purchases will have to be some pop up backgrounds.

DSC_1944.jpg by Lee532, on Flickr

Lee532

Another attempt with multiple flash. My set up has a window behind me on a dull day so providing some diffuse ambient light. I now have two off camera speedlites so this time one was place behind the bear with diffuser on to illuminate background and give a little rim light. Second was off camera right set to ceiling bounce with the bounce card extended to give a little fill.

dsc_2450.jpg

I think this was lit better than my first attempts.

Lee532

I got the new Yongnuo YN-622-tx and had a try with it for the first time. Great piece of kit which allows you to alter the flash settings remotely such as I-ttl, manual, power, EV etc for up to 3 groups of flash. I have found it very simple to use and allows quick and easy adjustments clearly displayed on the LCD screen.
I had the 2 568-ex speedlites again, this time one below the flower with diffuser and one to the right at 45 deg and slightly in front, shot against a black background which I have removed in LR5.

dsc_2570.jpg
dsc_2550.jpg