Monopod shopping

nepsa

Shopping for a monopod. Need one to handle D7100 and Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR II. That lens is quite heavy and I want to make sure I get sometime sturdy to handle it.

STM

Gitzo makes some pretty heavy duty ones. I have one and it handles my D700/MB-D10 and 600mm f/4 AIS (all together about 18 pounds) no sweat. They are not cheap and I am sure there are cheaper ones out there that are more than sufficient.

nikonpup

most monopods will have no problem with that combination, when you place a head on the unit is when you can have problems. Measure the weight of your camera and lens, double that and use it as load weight for the head you buy.

Geoffc

I have a Manfrotto 681b with a 496RC2 ball head attached. D7100 and D800 with Tamron 150-600 is no problem. I also have the 70-200 2.8 but tend to handhold that combo.

The 681b is industrial strength in my view and not too pricey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rocketman122

Wait. What? A monopod with a 70-200mm? Why bother?

:rolleyes: youre a semi pro and youre asking why bother.. nice.
I could understand a hobbyist asking why because he wouldnt know what situation it could be used for..but you as a Spro..cmon..

you do realize many people a monopod for 70-200 for stability and many videographers use it as well with 70-200 when they shoot weddings.

Rob Bye

Videography I could see, but not for capturing stills. A 70-200 just isn't a big enough lens... save your money, and don't impair your freedom of movement. :cool:

FastGlass

Wow Rob Bye. I use a D3s with a 70-200 attached for shooting baseball. Having a mono pod sure helps. Since when do you need a certain size combination to use a tripod?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I am interested in hearing the suggestions as I have forearm tendonitis and cannot handhold the 70-200mm f/2.8. What other suggestions/combos can people offer?

nepsa

The reason I wanted to try using mono pod with the 70-200 2.8 was to use at Christmas lights at night at a botanical gardens. I have used the 70-200 at sports games without a mono pod and have great pictures. I am a beginner and can use all the help I can get - LOL

Rick M

There are a lot of really good tripods which have a detachable leg (monopod). From there you just transfer the head, best of both worlds in one package!

Blacktop

Videography I could see, but not for capturing stills. A 70-200 just isn't a big enough lens... save your money, and don't impair your freedom of movement. :cool:

Maybe the OP wants to shoot Christmas lights at a botanical garden, and doesn't want to bother setting up a tripod with every shot.

Krs_2007

The reason I wanted to try using mono pod with the 70-200 2.8 was to use at Christmas lights at night at a botanical gardens. I have used the 70-200 at sports games without a mono pod and have great pictures. I am a beginner and can use all the help I can get - LOL

Most monopods will work. I have a manfroto carbon fiber, model 294. And yes, people do use a monopod with that lens, nothing wrong it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rob Bye

Wow Rob Bye...Since when do you need a certain size combination to use a tripod?

I'd have to go through past issues of the newsletter, but I believe that rule came into effect back around 1986. :D

Tendonitis is a perfectly valid reason for wanting to use a monopod. Go for it!

I've seen so many faux-tographers show up to major sports events with a monopod, only because they think it makes them look pro. It takes more than a monopod to earn a spot on the sidelines, but some people don't get that. That's the sort of scenario I was envisioning.

As that's not the case here, I'll second the recommendation for Manfrotto's 681. For lenses, 400mm or longer, that's what I usually use.

nepsa

Thanks for the feedback. Adorama has the Manfrotto 681B with the 234RC quick release swivel head at just over 100 bucks. That should meet my needs. As always , I appreciate the discussions.

Nepsa