Minty 85mm af-d nikkor lens is my next looked for lens!

Bill16

Well folks, I won my bid and my new to me 85mm f1.4 Nikkor lens will be here tomorrow! Woohoo! :)
But I've heard from a buddy, that I might have to fine tune it before it will take great portraits.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Well folks, I won my bid and my new to me 85mm f1.4 Nikkor lens will be here tomorrow! Woohoo! :)
But I've heard from a buddy, that I might have to fine tune it before it will take great portraits.

As you mentioned, make sure you do the focus tuning on this lens. F/1.4 is such a shallow depth of field that having the focus off even just a little most likely would be noticeable. Good luck with it. I love my 85mm f/1.8 and am quite satisfied with its DOF. I'm glad to hear you chose the 85mm over the 50mm right now. I don't even own a 50mm prime although I did with my previous Minolta manual camera. For me, I'd use an 85mm prime much more often than a 50mm prime.

Bill16

Thank you my friend! Yes I do already have a 50mm f1.8, and I didn't have a 85mm, so this made more sense to me too! :)
It was the great feedback on the 85mm f1.4 that made me buy the f1.4 over the f1.8 version. I just hope I'll love it now! Lol :)

As you mentioned, make sure you do the focus tuning on this lens. F/1.4 is such a shallow depth of field that having the focus off even just a little most likely would be noticeable. Good luck with it. I love my 85mm f/1.8 and am quite satisfied with its DOF. I'm glad to hear you chose the 85mm over the 50mm right now. I don't even own a 50mm prime although I did with my previous Minolta manual camera. For me, I'd use an 85mm prime much more often than a 50mm prime.

singlerosa_RIP

I must be lucky. I've never had to tune a lens. I've used the "chart" on many of my lenses on all of my bodies and they work fine. Clean living (not) pays off.