Merging forums...

Horoscope Fish

Is MR. Fish even qualified to make a decision of this magnitude? Shouldn't you ask one of the super mods first if it's ok?
As a mere Mod I don't have the authority to make that kind of change to the forums, nor would I even consider it without approval from higher authority even if I could. I was just throwing my support behind the idea and trying to explain why, most likely, we have such a granulated forum structure and even that was hypothetical. A change to the forums of the magnitude we are discussing would have to be done by the Big Man in Charge.

Last edited:

WayneF

Yes. I hear we're getting rid of the "Flash" forum.:cool::triumphant:

Well, at least it would be one less place to look for stuff. :)

Search for "flash". It is everywhere else except the flash forum. :)

Right now, the White Balance is in the D40 forum. How many look there now? All of the divisions just never seem to work out as planned.

Blacktop

Well, at least it would be one less place to look for stuff. :)

Search for "flash". It is everywhere else except the flash forum. :)

Right now, the White Balance is in the D40 forum. How many look there now? All of the divisions just never seem to work out as planned.

I was just being funny, but now I see that you're actually right. I still say we need to do something about that "learning photography" forum. The thing is all over the place.:cocksure:
Then again, I'm new here so I really have no say in the matter.

WayneF

I was just being funny, but now I see that you're actually right. I still say we need to do something about that "learning photography" forum. The thing is all over the place.:cocksure:
Then again, I'm new here so I really have no say in the matter.

I guess the long forum list is seen as something like sizzle, which is maximized here, but having too many forum divisions seem detrimental to me. Beginners probably do imagine they actually ought to ask their question about flash, or raw, or WB, or exposure, or camera bag, or whatever questions in the little spot matching their camera model. But the questions are normally general, not at all specific to that model, and there are just too many spots to hide them. So it seems less point to spend very much time writing something imagined to be a help, hidden off where so few are likely to ever see it.

Almost every forum that is here was asked for by someone. We have people wanting all the D5### split into three different section. We have people who want the D600 and D610 together and some who think it should be different. We can't please everyone. The problems I see most are that people don't pay attention to where they are posting. They post about flash in the D800 section because that is the camera they shoot. We have some that don't read the directions before posting like the critique section. I move posts out of there all the time.

Use the "What's New" button and see what has been posted and once you see all the ones that you might be interested in mark them as read so you get a fresh start next time.

When you create a new post make the title clear as to what you are asking. If you want a thread just for your photos put your name in the title and what the post is about. If you want a open thread just don't add your name and evey one can add their ideas/photos to it.

WayneF

Almost every forum that is here was asked for by someone. We have people wanting all the D5### split into three different section. We have people who want the D600 and D610 together and some who think it should be different. We can't please everyone. The problems I see most are that people don't pay attention to where they are posting. They post about flash in the D800 section because that is the camera they shoot. We have some that don't read the directions before posting like the critique section. I move posts out of there all the time.

Use the "What's New" button and see what has been posted and once you see all the ones that you might be interested in mark them as read so you get a fresh start next time.

When you create a new post make the title clear as to what you are asking. If you want a thread just for your photos put your name in the title and what the post is about. If you want a open thread just don't add your name and evey one can add their ideas/photos to it.

How's that working out? :)

IMO, it clearly would seem time to reorganize. At least some. Organization is getting worse instead of better.

I don't have comments about organizing the "other groups" other than DSLR. Like stuff should be combined, but the likeness is unclear there, at least to me. However, I would think the Photography and Learning sections should be first, above DSLR, to give them a chance. Most questions are NOT about the camera model (agreed, beginners might not realize that yet).

But DLSR is clearly too cluttered, and yet, all the models do work about the same, certainly in most respects. And most questions are not even about the model. There are too many obscure little holes to hide questions in. And to hide answers in. What may help one user surely can help many others, but who else will ever find and see it hidden in one of those little holes" (a hole not even the same as my specific model number?) I don' think the organization is at all helpful.

The NikonUSA site itself only uses three divisions for DSLR, they are calling it Entry, Enthusiast, and Professional. Seems very adequate. Even descriptive, but the forum has to show some numbers. Nikon's site is trying to simplify, but this forum is trying to make it as elaborate as possible.

So D3000 would better with the rest of D3xxx that match it. And D5000 and I think the D5xxx ought to be in there with them, all one group. What's the difference in terms of user questions? Is any one of the questions about that difference? Is the discontinued question different the than the current model? Hardly any of the questions are even about the camera model.

If division is necessary, I'd divide those models with an Auto mode, and those without it.

OK, then, at the top of the main forum page here, post in VERY LARGE TEXT:

IF YOU WANT A REPLY, THEN SPECIFY YOUR CAMERA MODEL IN YOUR QUESTIONS ABOUT USING IT.

Who's gonna look at the profile? Who's going to update it with their new camera? Nothing insures it matches the question. The question should specify what it is about.

Last edited:

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I'll make this simple. We're not combining anything, sorry. The reasons have already been given. If anything some threads should be moved and some older models moved to the out of production area.

Edit: Okay, maybe I should give some of my reasoning...
  • People like having specific sections for their cameras, trust me
  • Yes, most questions that members think may be specific to their camera are not, but they may not know that, nor do people searching for the same question
  • This: https://www.google.com/search?q=D53...urceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#q=D5200+forum
  • There are subtle differences between some models - sometimes that's enough to have their own forum, sometimes not, like the case with the D600/D610. I thought about it for the D810, but it's just too different from the D800.

Cowleystjames

I'll make this simple. We're not combining anything, sorry. The reasons have already been given. If anything some threads should be moved and some older models moved to the out of production area.

Edit: Okay, maybe I should give some of my reasoning...
  • People like having specific sections for their cameras, trust me
  • Yes, most questions that members think may be specific to their camera are not, but they may not know that, nor do people searching for the same question
  • This: https://www.google.com/search?q=D53...urceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#q=D5200+forum
  • There are subtle differences between some models - sometimes that's enough to have their own forum, sometimes not, like the case with the D600/D610. I thought about it for the D810, but it's just too different from the D800.

You've shot yourself in the foot in your very last reasoning.
The D800 and D810 have separate forums because, in your words ' it's just too different from the D800', but the very same differences exist between the D4 and D4s, however they share one forum. What's your reasoning there?
I shoot a D4s and would like that reasoning separating their forums then!

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
You've shot yourself in the foot in your very last reasoning.
The D800 and D810 have separate forums because, in your words ' it's just too different from the D800', but the very same differences exist between the D4 and D4s, however they share one forum. What's your reasoning there?
I shoot a D4s and would like that reasoning separating their forums then!
In this case it's more of a volume of content and users. But you do have a point!