Memory Cards - So Much Choice ?

Ironwood

not trying to question you however what reason does it make to use 16gb over 64gb if it fails?

are you implying smaller size means uploading on computer more often ?

I will most likely set up two sd one as a back up.
As Don said, prevents you from losing bulk photos if you fill it up and it fails, just buy more smaller cards.
I am yet to fill a 16gb card in one session, so it's not an issue to me.

Horoscope Fish

I don't use 64GB cards for two reasons: 1. They're butt-ass expensive and, 2. The idea of walking around with that many photographic "eggs" in one digital "basket" just doesn't compute for me. I shoot RAW only with Slot 2 as my "Backup" card. Even with that automatic backup going on I offload shots from card to PC on a regular basis.

Fortkentdad

I bought the "Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I" off of Amazon.ca (it is on sale at the moment for $42 CDN).
Works great in my D610. I have a Scandisk Ultra 32 GB as the second disk. I put RAW on the Lexar and JPG on the Scandisk. This works as the JPG's are smaller.
I discovered the downside visiting my daughter, her laptop would not read the Lexar, no problem with the scandisk. Turns out this class of SD's cannot be read by some older laptops (as in about five years old). Incompatible with some disk readers. Works fine on my USB 3.0 with a Kingston card reader plugged into it. Really really fast. But watch compatibility with some of the neweest and fastest if you may be putting it up on an older computer.

Fortkentdad

BTW I went for 64 GB because it was on sale at the time for not much more than the 32 GB version and glad I had it when I went on a three week vacation.

J-see

Down here 64Gb isn't that expensive in comparison. When I compare the cost to the rest of my gear, cards are ridiculously cheap. I however never use mine as storage. The moment I get home, I upload my shots and before the next shoot, I format.

The cards are the weakest link between my cam and my computer, I'd rather not find out how weak that link is when I got 1K shots stored.

Last edited:

Fortkentdad

I need to buy another 64GB card after all.
Went out for the day and grabbed the camera (you never know)
Had some time to kill so went bird hunting (posted in bird thread)
BUT I had left my 64 GB card in the PC last night. It happens. Still had the 32GB Scandisk.
I carry a couple of old cards in the bag just for silly things like this, only had one 8 GB in the bag.
I shot 40 GB of images and hit that dreaded "FULL" message.

Now I was learning how to shoot birds. Stopped at a siding and grab some nifty train shots, some for HDR - going to try a HDR panoramic so lots of shots of that train. Got it from both sides and front on.

AND I stopped when I saw the sun setting lighting up some old barns I could not pass up - that's when I hit the FULL message.

I'm shooting RAW and JPG (had I realized early that I didn't have both cards I would have switched to just RAW).

BUT if I had two 64GB cards I would have been good.

So 64GB is not too big.

Watching for a sale on one now.

Last edited:

Whiskeyman

I may have missed it, but you should always buy your cards from authorized/reputable dealers since memory card counterfeiting is a problem. Purchasing through Amazon 3rd party sellers and eBay is risky for the small amount you save.

I choose to use Lexar and SanDisk 16 GB and 32 GB cards and purchase cards that are rated at 80MB/sec or faster. I now only buy cards with a lifetime warranty, but haven't ever needed to use the warranty.

Either way, memory cards are so inexpensive these days that I carry quite a few when shooting.

WM

Fortkentdad

I may have missed it, but you should always buy your cards from authorized/reputable dealers since memory card counterfeiting is a problem. Purchasing through Amazon 3rd party sellers and eBay is risky for the small amount you save.

I choose to use Lexar and SanDisk 16 GB and 32 GB cards and purchase cards that are rated at 80MB/sec or faster. I now only buy cards with a lifetime warranty, but haven't ever needed to use the warranty.

Either way, memory cards are so inexpensive these days that I carry quite a few when shooting.

WM

I've never had any issues with Amazon - didn't realize they were known for selling counterfeit cards? eBay yes, been there got stung with counterfeit nikon battery but I would not expect a counterfeit Lexar or Scandisk card from Amazon? Anyone bought a counterfeit card from Amazon?

rocketman122

I've never had any issues with Amazon - didn't realize they were known for selling counterfeit cards? eBay yes, been there got stung with counterfeit nikon battery but I would not expect a counterfeit Lexar or Scandisk card from Amazon? Anyone bought a counterfeit card from Amazon?

never noticed who was the delaer who sold me my transcend cards but I think you can go to the mfr website and verify authenticity of the Sn of the cards
personally even for the tons of images I shoot at weddings, I would not buy 64gb cards. what Don said was absolutely right. if a card goes, a potential maximum of 64gb is lost. 32gb cards and the loss would be less. plus to put reliability on one cards scares me. I use many smaller capacity cards and carry it in one of these snazzy inexpensive holders in my pocket during the wedding

aluminim cf case | eBay

Fortkentdad

Have another 32 GB Scandisk coming from Amazon.ca I like having some redundancy in my D610 - should one card fail (and I guess that could happen, never has happened to me but could I guess) then the other card would still have all my photos. The 64GB holds the RAW images and the 32 GB holds the JPGs (unless I leave one at home like the other day). And I have a couple of older class 10 cards in my camera bag - have a couple stashed in every camera bag as I had the unpleasant surprise of taking my camera but no cards one day trip. Don't want that to happen again, so at the very least I have at least an older SD card in every bag.

On long trips I pack along an old 320 GB external drive, I upgraded to a new 2T external so the old one is now my portable back up drive for when I'm holidays away, I can transfer the images to the drive through the laptop. (I wonder if you had the right cable can you connect the camera right to the external drive?)

J-see

I don't buy Amazon but read an article in the past explaining that buying a good brand does not necessarily imply the cards themselves are quality material. Like in everything there are those that meet the standards and those that don't. Occasionally those that don't end up on the market again being sold as first class material.

Whiskeyman

You have to watch where your order from Amazon is coming from. If directly from Amazon, you're likely fine. Some Amazon transactions are through third-party sellers, and these can be a bit more risky.

WM

Fortkentdad

Now I'm curious. When i look at the Scandisk item I ordered I read "Sold by Maple Leaf Photo and Fulfilled by Amazon." but I could not find out much about this "Maple Leaf Photo" . The item 'has left the amazon facility" And is in transit. Given two day shipping was an option it can't be that far off shore. When I get this memory card is there anyway to tell if it is the real thing or a counterfeit?

oldsalt

Hi Guys,

Can some one help me with what read and write refer to...for example what needs to be higher for continuous shots

Also from the below should I get one of each or just two of the same, which combination do you recommend for the Nikon D750.

A)

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kingston-64gb-sdxc-card-class-10-ultra-high-speed-class-3-uhs-i-u3/

B)
https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kingston-64gb-sdxc-card-class-10-uhs-i-ultimate-sda1064gb/

Here's a great place to buy cards from ... cheapchips.com.au
cheers

Fortkentdad

Hi Guys,

Can some one help me with what read and write refer to...for example what needs to be higher for continuous shots

Also from the below should I get one of each or just two of the same, which combination do you recommend for the Nikon D750.

Googled up this report, no idea how accurate or unbiased but looks legit and fair on first read.

Nikon D750 SD Card Comparison - Write speed test and fastest continuous shooting performance - Camera Memory Speed Comparison & Performance tests for SD and CF cards

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I use Sandisk Ultra's with 80 m speeds. I have several 32 mb and use them pretty much exclusively. Never had a problem with them. They work great and definitely don't slow the process down.

adityasoman

U need higher WRITE speeds.With that you'll be able to clear the buffer faster.Writing into the card from whatever.The higher read speeds will help while copying the files to the pc.Reading from the card

So which ever has the highest Write speed..get that

The cards show Read speed in advertisements(which are higher then write speeds) generally.So look properly for Write speed

Which card to get depends on buffer size and File size..There are Pro grade cards avaliable..look into them

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: