Meike D800 Grip REVIEW

Photowyzard

Nikon MB-D12 General Design Review

More follow up based on my hands on use for the last few weeks:

I complained in the past that the grip design for the D800 was A POOR DESIGN! IT IS COMPLETELY ILL CONCEIVED! Let me explain why I feel this way:

1) I recanted on this a while back. I now go back to my original thinking. Let me explain. The Nikon D800 grip is designed to take:

1 EN-EL15 battery in the grip
1 EN-EL15 battery stays in the camera

it takes a full tray of 8 AA batteries in the grip
and
1 EN-EL15 battery in the camera

or

it takes
1 EN-EL15 battery in the camera and...
1 EN-EL18 in the grip which has extended charge capability

Most likely, they designed this grip for pros who will use the EN-EL18 battery in the grip at a massive cost for this battery pleasure ... $220

This whole design, in my opinion is a pain in the behind!

2) This poor design forces you to remove the grip and recharge the battery inside the camera. I find this a complete pain, now that I have a grip and actually experienced it.

3) I said before, the D90 grip was superb because you could remove 1 or both batteries as you saw fit, recharge and replace without have to remove the grip. Brilliant. I still say this was the BEST design. In the two years I owned the D90, I removed the grip once... when I just recently sold the camera. Otherwise, it went on new and stayed there the whole time I owned it, working flawlessly, the only items to remove were the batteries, which I swapped on a regular basis, so I always had charged batteries. A dream design.

Surely, the brilliant minds in the Nikon Think Tank could have done better than this for $600 + in the asking for grip and battery.

I am glad I never bought the expensive grip as I find this battery swap thing a complete pain!

This is not a complaint per say against the Meike, but my general observation on the whole design mechanics of the D800 grip. Even if you go with the more expensive and longer lasting battery, you will eventually have to remove the grip to recharge the battery inside the camera.

If you need more juice, the best solution for the D800 is to simply buy 1 or 2 extra EN-EL15 batteries and keep them charged. It is simple, you have the charger and it will give you what you need at a fraction of the price without the stupid fiddling involved with a grip!

The only drawback is you don't get the portrait orientation the grip gives you. I think I can live with that, the D800 has a nice feel with or without the grip. The grip on my D90 was a major improvement in feel. The D800 has a different feel all its own and the grip is not a major improvement in feel, just functionality.

I am a bit of a stickler for design elegance. So, now that I actually have a month or two of actual hands on experience with the camera and some shoot time with a grip, I can honestly say, from an elegant design point of view, the Nikon D800 grip is a ....

FAIL

Photowyzard

Another quick update, I got a chance to review the Nikon MB-D12 Grip for the D800 with the more expensive Pro battery on it.

Very nice piece of equipment. It is solidly made, all metal inside from what I could tell. NOTHING in the MB-D12 is compatible with the Meike grip. You cannot used any battery sleeve from one into the other.

The connections pins on the Nikon grip are on the LEFT side, on the Meike, on the RIGHT. Even if the trays fit, it won't work.

From a FEEL perspective, I can't tell the difference between the two. Maybe, the Nikon grip is a tad heavier because it is better built. Slightly heavier weight gives it a slightly more solid feel, but it isn't a game changer by any stretch of the imagination.

I have been reading everywhere, STICK WITH NIKON BATTERIES in the Meike and you will be fine. Honestly, I think these cheap grips are a steal.

I also think the Nikon grip is a very nice grip, buy my opinion on the price has not changed, WAY TOO EXPENSIVE, especially with the bigger battery!

Dials all felt the same. The toggle felt the same, the latch on the Nikon is a little more solid feeling for the tray.

If you have money to burn, the Nikon is very nicely made, water resistant to boot! The Meike is well made too, but not quite the same and certainly not water resistant.

Now that I have seen both and have handled both, I can honestly say, I will give the physical quality nod to the Nikon grip but the Meike is no slouch for the money. Great value, through and through. Unless you are a pro, get the cheaper grip.

Last edited:

Billy Y.

I am so pro, i don't need a grip... :D but seriously, I have bought the grip for almost every camera body I have owned, and every time it ends up off the camera and in my bag, never to be used again. for vertically framed shots it is a no brainer, but I am able to rotate the camera with my shutter hand up and shoot no problem for the few protrait style shots I do. In the end it adds too much bulk for most of time, if I were in the studio doing portriats i would definitely have one though. Thanks for the updates Wyzard, I am at this point still talking myself out of one.

Photowyzard

Billy,

I think you can get by just as far with an extra one or two regular batteries! You already have the charger, don't need to buy another one, just buy some extra juice and you are farther ahead.

rocketman122

May 3, 2015.... FOLLOW UP ON MEIKE GRIP..... STILL WORKING LIKE THE DAY I BOUGHT IT!! NO ISSUES!!! :)

IM all for aftermarket products. flashes/batteries/grips/ accessories whatever. I dont buy anything nikon anymore if theres an alternative. besides the AN-6Y strap. I used to pay for the expensive nikon gear. not today.

when the nikon D800 grip came out it sold for a whopping $600. now it sells for a reasonable $440- the meike grip $55-yea, ill take 2 meike over the nikon. I had a no name brand from ebay I used for ebay. never had a single issue and I dont baby my gear when im shooting weddings. I dont bang it around. but no issues at all. no one here uses their gear so harshly that an aftermarket couldnt satisfy them. no one. its a mindset that people need a D4s grip build. its simply not true. if youre not going trekking with your gear in the amazon forrest then a 3rd party grip will more than fit the bill.
and I know what build is. ive used F5's and I have a D3/D3s and had the D600 and I didnt feel the 3rd party grip wasnt capable. not for a second.

Bill16

I'm glad to hear your meike grip is holding up so well for you! I'm also glad you gave the original Nikon grip a fair description too! Since the D800e is a camera I've been dreaming of having, I bought the OEM grip with the D4 batteries to go with! :)
As far as the meike grips go, I've own two or three of them with only the D90 meike grip coming apart on me. The other meike grip worked very well on my D3100 I believe! :)

So thank you for the reviews! :)

rocketman122

I'm glad to hear your meike grip is holding up so well for you! I'm also glad you gave the original Nikon grip a fair description too! Since the D800e is a camera I've been dreaming of having, I bought the OEM grip with the D4 batteries to go with! :)
As far as the meike grips go, I've own two or three of them with only the D90 meike grip coming apart on me. The other meike grip worked very well on my D3100 I believe! :)

So thank you for the reviews! :)

3rd party gear (grips also) have come a LONG way since the D90 was a mainstream camera. were talking about 7 years ago. quality of the plastics, fit and finish is completely different.
look at the flashes in the pic. one from 4 years ago. the one released recently. they are not in the same level anymore. from the pros I work with, more buy aftermarket than OEM by far today.

where people were hesitant to buy 3rd party in the past because of quality, compatability, safety, people payed the money for piece of mind and to have the quality product. its not the same today.

but I understand u. I used to be like you when I started. happy and excited I bought new gear and it instilled confidence because I bought the nikon brand. so I know where youre coming from. im not in the same place today. I feel very confident not to buy nikon. Im confident in my skill, not the gear. im in a different place today. when I started, the gear made me feel like Im a great photographer. today, the gear is just a tool and it must not let me down so I can create with my skill.

url.jpg

Bill16

The grip I bought was new about a year ago or so, and was just a bad one I think. It happens and so I bought a used OEM grip that felt way better built.
But it doesn't matter much as long as the grip you have works well for you! :)

My d4 battery charger is a Neewer brand and so I hope it will work well! :)

3rd party gear (grips also) have come a LONG way since the D90 was a mainstream camera. were talking about 7 years ago. quality of the plastics, fit and finish is completely different.
look at the flashes in the pic. one from 4 years ago. the one released recently. they are not in the same level anymore. from the pros I work with, more buy aftermarket than OEM by far today.

where people were hesitant to buy 3rd party in the past because of quality, compatability, safety, people payed the money for piece of mind and to have the quality product. its not the same today.

but I understand u. I used to be like you when I started. happy and excited I bought new gear and it instilled confidence because I bought the nikon brand. so I know where youre coming from. im not in the same place today. I feel very confident not to buy nikon. Im confident in my skill, not the gear. im in a different place today. when I started, the gear made me feel like Im a great photographer. today, the gear is just a tool and it must not let me down so I can create with my skill.

View attachment 154446

rocketman122

The grip I bought was new about a year ago or so, and was just a bad one I think. It happens and so I bought a used OEM grip that felt way better built.
But it doesn't matter much as long as the grip you have works well for you! :)

My d4 battery charger is a Neewer brand and so I hope it will work well! :)

yea, youll be fine. now you can shoot 2600 pictures nonstop!