Macro lens

Debrus

I am going to be taking a class in April using macro and I want to buy a lens or something to get started. I have questions about whether to buy the close-up filter set $14.00 52mm or the wide angle HD lens which is about $35.00? Can anyone shed any light on this for me? I don't need the expensive Macro lens that cost $400.00. Thanks.

Fred Kingston_RIP

Why not wait until you get to the class, and ask the instructor what he recommends... Why buy something the instructor doesn't recommend or is unfamiliar with??? Neither solution you're asking about is the preferred method... and maybe the instructor can lead you to a more affordable solution that accomplishes the class goals...

Debrus

That is probably the best idea now that I think about it. I am not supposed to know what to buy at this point I guess. Appreciate you advice. Have a great day!

STM

Close up lenses are not really recommended. You will not have good flatness of field and they will degrade image quality. Your best bet is to get a dedicated macro lens. Lenses with a "macro" setting are really not macro but close focusing. They will not get you as close as a dedicated macro lens.

I did an indepth article on macrophotography on my website, hopefully it will be of some help. The URL is:

Venturing Into the Exciting World of Macrophotography

Debrus

Thanks, I printed this article to read. I think I may just go to my class in TN and see what the teacher recommends since I am unfamiliar with macro at this time. I have just been using my 300mm zoom to get some good shots. Thanks and all of the Nikonites have been so helpful to me as an amateur.