Looking for a possible upgrade for daughter's D5600

Clovishound

Well, the Pup's birthday is coming around again and I was talking with her about what she wants. I had talked with her about upgrading her D5600, a while back, but she wasn't really interested then. She is more receptive to that now. She doesn't really want to get into mirrorless, and I'm not sure she'd be happy with the full frame DSLRs because she likes the different preset exposure modes.

That pretty much leaves the D7200 and D7500. I'm a little reluctant to downgrade the sensor specs to 20 MP, although I doubt it's actually a big deal. The D500 is out because it doesn't have the preset exposure modes.

I also wonder if there is enough difference in capability between the D5600 she has now and the D7200 to justify the money spent on upgrading.

The other option is to upgrade her 18-55 kit lens to an 18-200. She has a 70-300 FX tele, and a 105 FX micro lens, but when she doesn't need the longer reach of the 70-300, the 18-200 would give her a lot more flexibility without having to change lenses. Depending on where we are shooting, I often see her changing lens a lot, or trying to use the 70-300, when she really needs the shorter lens. It should also be a better quality lens overall. I'm sort of leaning in this direction, but thought I'd get some feedback from ya'll. I'm hoping that she will become more comfortable with the mechanics end of photography to be happy with the controls of one of the more advanced oriented cameras. I just don't want to have a drawer full of small increment bodies that were purchased then moved on from. I don't mind the D3400 languishing in the bottom of the bag, as it saw a lot of use, and got both her going with the hobby, and me back into it.

I don't even particularly mind the D5600 purchase, as I didn't really know that much about the different options of Nikon's line, and wanted to get her an upgrade she would be comfortable with. I need to be a little smarter about purchases now.

Input appreciated.

Clovishound

Well, I've tried to introduce her to the mirrorless side of the force, but she is currently adamant about no mirrorless camera for her. Like her mother, I know when to put my foot down, and when to walk away. FWIW I usually win the foot down situations, but there is always figurative bloodshed and I am very careful about choosing that path.

It's a little frustrating that she has no interest in the technical side of photography, and relies on the automation available in the camera to take care of the mechanics of picture taking. Yet, she has a really good eye and often comes back with some very good images despite that.

I would almost be happier if she were wanting something like a D850, and the only issue was the money.

I guess I shouldn't say that too loud.

Danno

Glass is always good. There is a 24-120 f4 G is a good lens. it it is a good walk around and would pair well with the 70-300. But Fred‘s recommendation is good.

I liked the 7200. It was a 24 mega pixel.

Woodyg3

Contributor
I'm not sure what she/you are looking for in terms of improved features, and I also don't know much about the D5600. That said, I'm not sure she would see an improvement in image quality, so the only reason to move to a D7200 would be for features she finds missing in her current camera, and a more robust build quality. I still have and use my D7200 even though my D500s get the bulk of the workload. I like the D7200 quite bit for landscapes, macro, abstracts, etc.

Clovishound

Glass is always good. There is a 24-120 f4 G is a good lens. it it is a good walk around and would pair well with the 70-300. But Fred‘s recommendation is good.

I liked the 7200. It was a 24 mega pixel.

Unfortunately, that would end up being an effective 36-180 on her DX camera. I have gotten her FX lenses for upgrades for macro and tele, but for a normal zoom, I really think I should stick to a DX to preserve the wide angle end.

I'm not sure what she/you are looking for in terms of improved features, and I also don't know much about the D5600. That said, I'm not sure she would see an improvement in image quality, so the only reason to move to a D7200 would be for features she finds missing in her current camera, and a more robust build quality. I still have and use my D7200 even though my D500s get the bulk of the workload. I like the D7200 quite bit for landscapes, macro, abstracts, etc.
If she were into wildlife photography, I would get her the D500 in a heartbeat, despite the price, and the 20 MP sensor.

BF Hammer

Clovishound, there are some other possibilities. If the Scene modes are truly important, be aware that Nikon pretty much stopped including the feature with the last DSLR bodies and did not look back with the Z bodies. I still have my D750 and it does have the Scene setting and options on the Mode Dial, but I checked the online manual for the D780 (which replaced the D750 right as mirrorless launched) and that camera does not include the feature.

So an upgrade to full-frame can be a possibility. The D750 with 24-120mm f/4 lens is a good setup. At 24mm you already have a wider field of view than the typical 18mm-whatever lens DX cameras normally have. D750 is a 24MP sensor and really could be considered the DSLR version of your Z5. Same sensor, same dual SD card setup, similar tech specs, same batteries, same accessories. Has a 2nd LCD on top that the Z5 does not have. Check for the used cameras instead of the Nikon "refurbished" because those cameras often had a reason to be returned for needing that refurbishing.

And I am a former D7000 owner and that was a perfectly good camera also. So a D7200 or D7500 with the tech advances comes recommended too. These are all upgrades in features and capability over the D5600. There is less pressure for replacing lenses going this route also.