Lightroom problem

Deleted

I rebuilt my computer with a new drive c & fresh install. The old system was Windows 7 32bit, the new install is Windows 7 64bit. The Lightroom catalogue was always on my drive D which was untouched. After my computer rebuild, Lightroom initially set up a catalogue on drive c, which I changed to my old drive D location. It appeared to work perfectly.

Most times that I open Lightroom, I now get this error:

10.26.2014-22.00.31.png

It is easy to get around this error (either Switch to or retry usually works), but I would like to fix it.

Can anyone suggest a fix?

Deleted

Does it happen after the computer has been running for awhile, or maybe only shortly after boot?

I will rarely want to power up & run LR immediately. So it will be after the pc has been running a while, but not every time. It's difficult to reproduce.

J-see

I will rarely want to power up & run LR immediately. So it will be after the pc has been running a while, but not every time. It's difficult to reproduce.

If it occurs, check which processes are running in your memory. It might give an indication what goes on.

Btw, is it when you start LR or when you start and then directly switch to a module like develop? If the second is when it occurs, it's because you're switching while there's still "load" going on from start-up. You can try both, normal start with waiting some seconds and starting LR and directly hitting develop. Maybe that way you can reproduce the issue.

Last edited:

J-see

I will do that.

So you think it's more likely a conflict rather than an issue with the catalog?

I'm no tech wiz but I think it is some conflict and has little to do with the catalog. The error message indicates you're trying to activate something while it is busy. I'd guess some part of LR is not finished doing whatever it does in the background while you try to do something else. If it has something to do with a reinstall on your C: while the previous is still on your D: you'd have to ask someone with more knowledge on these matters. It's possible this causes a delay but I'm just guessing here.

I wouldn't hurt to maybe clean up your reg too. It's possible some redundant process is still being used or lingers somewhere for whatever reason although that'd be strange after swapping the main drive.

Edit: I tried to check if I could trigger the problem with mine since I too have the catalog on my D: but no matter how fast I try to switch, I can't trigger the problem and only have a "load" at times. It's maybe some synchronization issue that makes the difference and while mine waits and loads, yours for whatever reason tries to activate a bit early.

Last edited:

Deleted

Thanks for your reply.

I think I was hoping that the error would be a common issue that others had seen. :confused:

As it's a new fresh W7 installation, the registry is not too bad. However I run JV16 reg cleaner once a week to keep things nice & clean. I also use Ccleaner on the temp files.

I will set the virtual memory to fixed as a test.

I just ran about the 8th test of this morning & got the Server busy error. The biggest processes were Firefox, Lightroom, Skype & Outlook - in that order. Nothing looked odd at all. When running W7 32bit, I did keep Skype closed when using LR, so I will test that.

Incidently, clicking "retry" continues opening the catalogue every time.

Eyelight

It is a fairly common message that most times seems to solve itself and I am just guessing that it does so by the system optimizing itself with successive boots. I've probably seen it 100+ times, but seems like when I have seen it is within the first few minutes of boot and I've never figured one out (at least that I remember); they just stop after a bit.

I'd say give it a week or so to see if the problem persist, use the System Configuration Utility to stop select processes on start up and see if stopping a particular one fixes the glitch.

Deleted

Google is full of those issues, but for quite old systems usually. There are forum entries in Google for the current version, but with no answers.

I'm wondering that if the catalog is on my drive D, that the drive has to spin up & therefore creates a message. I will test this, but all my power saving is set to not spin anything down.

I have considered though to put the catalog on my drive c. What sort of size can a catalog be expected to get to over a year?

Eyelight

You could go into the Lightroom preferences and change the default catalog to "Prompt me when starting Lightroom", just to confirm it is the catalog opening that triggers the message.