Let's talk about the D7K's weatherproofing

Phillydog1958

I have often wondered whether "weather sealed" is just a marketing gimmick. I have used my D5000 in light rain before...definitely enough to get the camera wet although not soaking wet...with no problems whatsoever. I also got hit right at the end of the tour while looking at the pyramid on vacation - very light though...had to quitshooting because of raindrops on mylens. Supposedly no weather sealing on the 5000.

We had another thread that discussed camera bodies. It was about metal versus plastic. Someone posted a link that showed a guy abusing a Nikon and Canon camera. Camera-body technology is a slower evolution than that of camera-electronic technology. There isn't much you can do with a body, except come out with a new material. Of course, they can add a few rubber gaskets and call it "Weather sealing." Perhaps the style or ergonomics of camera bodies have changed a bit. But, the bottom line is that sensors are where the growth is at. Basically, I believe that even the D3100 is capable of surviving a little rain. I think most cameras are designed well enough to survive a little rain and some with this so-called weather sealing, might be able to handle a little more rain. But, I think that much of it is marketing.

Last edited:

eurotrash

An ass-gasket is a little rubber dingy that goes around the mount of a lens. It's shown here on the 16-85.
Supposedly, it helps to seal out environmental things like dust and perhaps some rain. I'm sure that at some point, someone tested a non-sealed lens vs a sealed one but I can't confirm or deny that they work well. I've only ever shot in the elements with a "sealed" lens so far.

IMG_0295.jpg

Last edited:

eurotrash

I should mention that only Nikon lenses with a gold band on the front are fully weather sealed and actually advertise that they are meant to be beaten around and shot in the elements with. Though, I think that things are made so well these days that I doubt if you're remotely careful you shouldn't have problems.

Tami Jo

I should mention that only Nikon lenses with a gold band on the front are fully weather sealed and actually advertise that they are meant to be beaten around and shot in the elements with. Though, I think that things are made so well these days that I doubt if you're remotely careful you shouldn't have problems.

So the non Nikon Lenses don't have this weather sealing? Anything one can do to add this extra degree of protection to their lenses?

Ken Lee

I trick I learned years ago - I have a shower cap in my bag ( free from when you stay in a hotel)for that exact reason they work really well.

This works extremely well, and still allows you to manipulate your controls. I do a lot of long exposure photography near water, and especially when it's salt water, which is quite corrosive, you want to keep water off your camera whenever possible.