Lens and System Recommendations

kluisi

A couple of years ago, I bought a D7000 with the 18-105 kit lens. The camera and lens were great, but unfortunately the plastic lens mount broke on me. I may have made some mistakes in handling the lens when it was attached to the camera (instead of handling the camera body), but it was not handled roughly. In searching the internet, it seems that the lens does have that vulnerability and there are multiple reports of it breaking. I am concerned that if I get it repaired (>$100) from Nikon), it will just break again.

I just a few days ago I picked up the 50mm f1.8G and I love it so far for what it is (a 75mm portrait lens on DX), but it is pretty long for everyday use. I am trying to buy FX lenses to future proof my investment and I have come up with a few options to cover the wide angles:

Option 1:
AF-S NIKKOR 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED (27-52.5 on DX)- ~$750​
AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D (for low light - 30mm on DX) - ~$560​

Option 2:
AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED (25.5-52.5 on DX) - ~$1770​

What are the opinions on either of those two set-ups for Wide angle? Are there any other options that I should be looking at? If I go with one of those options, I will probably not pay to get my 18-105 lens fixed.

At some point when I get a ton of money, I also plan to add the AF-S NIKKOR
70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II (105-300 on DX). What do you think of that system as a whole?

jrleo33

You can pick up a used 18-55mm DX on E-Bay for under $100.00, and a used 55-200mm DX for about $120.00. Problem is; they have the same cheap plastic mounts. Many of the FX lenses you mention are full of distortion, which is a problem for your D7000. Most new Nikon FX cameras remove this distortion automatically with the camera software; whereas you would have to rely on PS or LR.

Your first choice was good, a 50mm F/1.8G FX prime lens, which is a bit long, I would recommend you find a used FX 35mm F/2D, and using same on your DX would allow for about 52mm, much closer to what your eye will see, and the Nikon 35mmD has a metal mount. The lenses you mention all will have the 1.5X crop factor, which makes it difficult to make a selection for wide angle. Once you began to shoot with your Primes, you might not want to go back to the Nikon low cost DX zooms.

SkvLTD

18-105 has a plastic mount?? 18-70 was metal and "weather-sealed" and its a slightly lesser lens in that family.

Personally, I'd hunt down something like this guy and just be happy/learn how to really shoot: Sigma 24mm Super-Wide II

dramtastic

What about the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8. Worlds fastest zoom lens. Built for DX bodies but I have read that some Nikon FX bodies have a crop sensor mode that can mimic a DX body and that they will take this lens.

skene

The Sigma 18-35 1.8 is a great lens. Had a chance to try it out during Photo Expo and definitely an impressive lens. Worth a shot to look into.

kluisi

I've noticed a bunch of great looking lenses for DX, but I'm hesitant to spend so much money on a lens that's basically a throw away when/if I upgrade to FX. I'd much rather spend a little more to future proof my system. Now if the DX lenses were $400, I'd have to think about it a little harder.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

kluisi

get the 18-105mm fixed! Wide angle i like my sigma 10-20mm. For long lens 70-300mm vr.

What is this lens? All I can seem to find is the 18-105 f3.5-5.6 and that's the one that came with the D7000 that has the plastic mount (which has since broken).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

ShootRaw

Instead of the Nikkor 70mm-200mm 2.8 for $2400...Opt for the Tamron 70mm-200mm 2.8 $1500...It is a tad sharper then the Nikkor...And less expensive..

kluisi