Ken Rockwell Facts

Status
Not open for further replies.

fotojack

Oh, I sincerely doubt that he's ignorantly oblivious! :) He knows exactly what he's doing! He comes off as knowing what he's talking about, but he constantly trips himself up time after time. Like Anthony, said......KR is all about KR, making as much money as he can from gullible newbie photographers who don't know any better. Smart salesman? Oh yeah! :) And that's all he is, IMHO. For the rest of my thoughts, please refer to post #19, as I certainly couldn't have put it any better than that! :)

Browncoat

...some one who seems to be deliberately scamming people...hard to discern whether he is deliberately deceitful or innocently, ignorantly oblivious?

I don't believe he is deliberately scamming people. What Ken is doing is called affiliate marketing. It's perfectly legal and it happens more often than you might think. I know several affiliate marketers who earn six-figure incomes doing nothing besides blogging and feeding people links to the stuff they're talking about. Ken has done that in a round-about sort of way.

As this page is copyrighted and formally registered, it is unlawful to make copies, especially in the form of printouts for personal use. If you wish to make a printout for personal use, you are granted one-time permission only if you PayPal me $5.00 per printout or part thereof. Thank you!
Even if he has a registered copyright of his web pages, (which I seriously doubt) printing out pages for personal use is considered "fair use" and not subject to copyright penalty. This is just another way Ken attempts to bleed money from his readers. He wants you to send him 5 bucks just to print out a page?

Photography is as second nature to me as breathing. I was shooting before I could walk. I was born with it....Put a camera in my hand and it quickly morphs into an extension of my consciousness.
Yes, he really is that full of himself. And I don't think anyone who is that pompous does it unless they truly believe it. Therefore, I think Ken believes what he says. He really does think he is God's gift to photography, but he's the only one who thinks so.

I'll leave you with two final examples of why you should avoid Ken Rockwell at all costs. On his recent updates page, dated June 1, 2011....

A reader asks why does he see black electrical tape over the lettering of half of my lenses? Simple: I don't like to advertise....[ROFL!]....
I use black tape on silver cameras...I use American-made Plymouth Bishop electrical tape...[link removed]​

Yes, boys and girls, he even gets paid to link to the kind of tape he uses to black out logos on the lens and camera photos on his website. Because Ken is a good guy and doesn't like to advertise. :rolleyes:

A lesser reason I don't like to advertise is that unlike commercial websites, no one pays me to say nice things about their cameras. I honestly am the world's most-read photography author (just look at the stats), probably precisely because I remain the last independent reviewer who doesn't accept camera company ads and who doesn't go on the free PR trips companies like Sony offer to ranches in Montana to pitch whatever new camera's out. I'll be darned if I'm going to walk around the Zoo with a NIKON or whatever logo on me, for free.

Sure, I'd love to go on free trips and get free cameras like the other photo websites form the 1990s that sold out, but probably because I am so independent, too embarrassingly honest and stay under the radar is why camera makers don't court me.
Unlike commercial sites, I do this site for you, not for advertisers.​
And if nothing I've said about Ken Rockwell has sunken in yet, I'll leave it at this: Ken Rockwell is a marketer preying on the photography community. I have marketing tools too, and can tell you there are over 40,000 external links coming from his website. That's (currently) over 40,000 attempts to sell you something or requests that you "donate" money. Camera makers don't court him because he's a dolt trying to make a fast buck and they probably want nothing to do with him or his tactics.

Last edited:

ThePhotoLegend

I found this amusing... it's a rant against KR and his JPG only position.

Ken sure does a good job of getting under the skin of many serious & professional photographers. I must admit the more I know about this fella the more irritating he becomes.

Browncoat

Exactly.
Anthony is pretty good about spotting BS.

I've been spotting BS seriously since I was 5 years old. Spotting BS is as second nature to me as breathing. I was spotting BS before I could walk. I was born with it....Put BS in front of me and it quickly sets off an alarm that was genetically coded into my being. See? We all have a little Ken Rockwell in us. Or maybe I'm just special. But not nearly as special as Ken Rockwell. After all...

Ken Rockwell isn't the Chuck Norris of photography. Chuck Norris is the Ken Rockwell of martial arts.

Ansel Adams wore Ken Rockwell pajamas.

The Board of Directors of the official Ken Rockwell Fan Club consists of: Zack Arias, Joey L, David Hobby, Joe McNally, Chase Jarvis, and Scott Kelby.

Ken Rockwell isn't hung like a horse. Horses are hung like Ken Rockwell.

ThePhotoLegend

I've been spotting BS seriously since I was 5 years old. Spotting BS is as second nature to me as breathing. I was spotting BS before I could walk. I was born with it....Put BS in front of me and it quickly sets off an alarm that was genetically coded into my being. See?

LOL I nearly choked on my water ...

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm pretty sure there is nothing more "the guy" (let me refer him as the guy since every time his name is written on a forum or a website engine searches can link to his website he gets more attention) likes than having people just write his name on the web..
I think if you really are against his views, it's much better to say absolutely nothing. Some things he writes are OK period.

Browncoat

....every time his name is written on a forum or a website engine searches can link to his website he gets more attention...
I'm not sure where you get your information from, but that's incorrect.

I think if you really are against his views, it's much better to say absolutely nothing. Some things he writes are OK period.
He's certainly entitled to his views. However, when his goal is to pass those views off as fact for the sake of lining his own pockets, then there is a problem. Not to mention, most of his views happen to be wrong.

ThePhotoLegend

One thing I have found about KR that really bothers me is the way that he seams to insinuate he needs the proceeds from the website in order to help his family get by/survive. Yet he owns a tremendous amount of glass and bodies worth thousands of dollars. I wish I could upgrade from a kit lens let alone own some of the glass he has at his disposal...

fotojack

The more I see KR, the more he reminds me of Howdy Doody. :) Remember the puppet? :) Go ahead...take another look! :) lol

Browncoat

Separated at birth?

KenR.jpg

Browncoat

Here's another one that's worth a look. It's very short. It also pretty much sums up what his website is all about.

$$$$

Johnathan Aulabaugh

Thats just funny as hell. KR is just one of those guys i cant stand. I know a few people that have listened to his advise only to be disappointed in 3 months. I think my first post on this site was about KR and how much I like him :). KR is a moron

Status
Not open for further replies.